Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Are there any decent backup phones (Android) to have really as a spare for when something happens to my phone, lend to a friend, etc. that take nano SIM, support micro SD, and support LTE?
Support LTE on which bands/carriers? And how cheap do you want? (Also, any MicroSD phone can take nano SIM with an adapter.)

Moto G4 Play is a good choice and probably the cheapest "good" phone, assuming the bands supported for LTE match what you need. Up around $200, there are a ton of options, all pretty good, none superb. Honor 5X, Zenfone 3 Laser, Moto G4 (regular) are the first three that come to mind all at $199. Pretty sure all of those take a MicroSD card.

Below the $149 mark you are looking at off-brand stuff, which can still work fine but which are less likely to have US LTE bands (although if you're planning to use it outside the US, that can be a plus.)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nkedel
Support LTE on which bands/carriers? And how cheap do you want? (Also, any MicroSD phone can take nano SIM with an adapter.)

Moto G4 Play is a good choice and probably the cheapest "good" phone, assuming the bands supported for LTE match what you need. Up around $200, there are a ton of options, all pretty good, none superb. Honor 5X, Zenfone 3 Laser, Moto G4 (regular) are the first three that come to mind all at $199. Pretty sure all of those take a MicroSD card.

Below the $149 mark you are looking at off-brand stuff, which can still work fine but which are less likely to have US LTE bands (although if you're planning to use it outside the US, that can be a plus.)
Looking for primarily bands 3 and 7 (European).

Why would a microSD capable phone support nano-SIM with adapter? Not asking about micro-SIM, asking about micro SD!

Looking at under $150 preferably. Don't mind off brand. This is for a spare
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Looking for primarily bands 3 and 7 (European).

Why would a microSD capable phone support nano-SIM with adapter? Not asking about micro-SIM, asking about micro SD!

Currently I have my eyes on a Cubot Manito. It supports the LTE bands you require, has dual sim function, takes an SD card and has Marshmallow so if you really want to you can turn the SD card into internal storage.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, meant micro-SIM; as you likely know, but just in case, my point was simply that if a phone only has a micro-SIM slot you can still use nano-SIM, so it isn't worth ruling out slightly older models that still take a micro-SIM.

The Cubot mentioned looks better than any of the other off-brand options I'm aware of, if you're in (or can get mail in) the UK/EU.

If you're in the US and can't accept mail/packages outside, the Blu R1 would be another option worth looking at, has the right bands and decent specs; VERY cheap with ads, and marginally cheaper than the Cubot without.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Oops, meant micro-SIM; as you likely know, but just in case, my point was simply that if a phone only has a micro-SIM slot you can still use nano-SIM, so it isn't worth ruling out slightly older models that still take a micro-SIM.

The Cubot mentioned looks better than any of the other off-brand options I'm aware of, if you're in (or can get mail in) the UK/EU.

If you're in the US and can't accept mail/packages outside, the Blu R1 would be another option worth looking at, has the right bands and decent specs; VERY cheap with ads, and marginally cheaper than the Cubot without.
Sorry, wasn't really thinking about micro SIM - didn't mean to come off snarky if it came off that way. I don't have the adapter cuz I got a plain nano SIM, not a 3-in-1, and I also found when dealing with a micro SIM in regular SIM adapter, it didn't always go so well (not like the SIM "clicks" into the adapter), so was hoping the phone could simply support nano SIM directly
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I took a quantum leap from a BB10 Classic Blackberry to a Google Pixel and love it. ^ Google
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
But amortized over 2 years vs. 1 year can make a big difference.
That's IMHO still very short for an iPhone. I've gradually increased the time, I'm using my phones. I'm currently on iPhone #3
  • iPhone 2008 - 2010 (~2 1/2 years)
  • iPhone 4 2010 - 2016 (~5 1/2 years)
  • iPhone 5 2015- 20XX
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, wasn't really thinking about micro SIM - didn't mean to come off snarky if it came off that way. I don't have the adapter cuz I got a plain nano SIM, not a 3-in-1, and I also found when dealing with a micro SIM in regular SIM adapter, it didn't always go so well (not like the SIM "clicks" into the adapter), so was hoping the phone could simply support nano SIM directly
Most these days do. I used to buy adapters but these days I have enough leftover "outsides" from 3-in-1 (or occasionally lately, 2-in-1 micro+nano with no cut fullsize one) cards from travel SIMs that I just save those.

They tend to fit much better than the ones sold separately, and as cheap as the ones sold separately were/are, free beats cheap.

Not sure if it's a common pattern, but the Honor 5X has the rather convenient setup for the dual SIMs where one is micro and one is nano. (OTOH, the Moto X Pure clearly has a spot where another nano SIM would go if it were a non-US Moto X Style.)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most these days do. I used to buy adapters but these days I have enough leftover "outsides" from 3-in-1 (or occasionally lately, 2-in-1 micro+nano with no cut fullsize one) cards from travel SIMs that I just save those.

They tend to fit much better than the ones sold separately, and as cheap as the ones sold separately were/are, free beats cheap.

Not sure if it's a common pattern, but the Honor 5X has the rather convenient setup for the dual SIMs where one is micro and one is nano. (OTOH, the Moto X Pure clearly has a spot where another nano SIM would go if it were a non-US Moto X Style.)
The micro/nano SIM combo in dual SIM smartphones does seem to be turning into an industry norm from the ones I have been looking at recently: Cubot, Umi, but I am looking at the 5" versions which might be more space constrained.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The micro/nano SIM combo in dual SIM smartphones does seem to be turning into an industry norm from the ones I have been looking at recently: Cubot, Umi, but I am looking at the 5" versions which might be more space constrained.
but it looks like both the sims are not LTE and some are not even 3g

If they were both "full service" it would be great
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Note the highlighted sentence.
Yes, but he also said "Currently i have...a Note 7." Very confusing.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:09 pm

since it seems many of you use your phones like a small laptop ,

is the next thing an android "docking station" that you can plug your smartphone into for a larger keyboard and screen ?

maybe something that rolls up into a tube when not in use
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
since it seems many of you use your phones like a small laptop ,

is the next thing an android "docking station" that you can plug your smartphone into for a larger keyboard and screen ?

maybe something that rolls up into a tube when not in use
I'm not one of those heavy users, but it's been tried:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-casetop-dock/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22098...have_dock.html

The Atrix 4G dock was a notable bomb...

Tons of portable keyboards, though, both Bluetooth and USB. Not sure I'd want to carry a larger screen; easier to just bring a tablet with me. "Good enough" basic Android tablets aren't quite as inexpensive as they were, but can still be had under $200 for 8" or 10". Any external screen will be nearly the same weight and bulk as a basic tablet, since the main weight is the screen and the battery
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
One year MS showed Bill Gates putting his phone down on a Surface table and it sucked the data out of it and projected it on the wall or something like that.

It may also have had some voice interaction.

I guess the idea is that whatever webpage you were reading or email you were composing on your phone, when you get to the office or home, you want to continue with that content on a big monitor and keyboard.

Or maybe the carrot was that you use one device all the time, don't have to spend on multiple devices.

Or both.

But Apple's idea is Continuity or something like AirDrop to transfer the content between the Mac and iPhone/iPad, since they want to sell you as many devices as possible.

Or now, people can just keep documents in the cloud and access from multiple devices.

MS is still talking up an idea called Continuity, where the mobile device would convert over to the desktop device, with the right type of UWP binaries which run on both mobile ARM processors and Intel. Only problem is they didn't even try to put out a phone to run Continuity or get much support from 3rd parties for Windows 10 Phone.

By now, I don't think it's something that people are demanding a solution to. People have figured out how to go between their devices. Some try to access the same content, other people don't even bother.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
but it looks like both the sims are not LTE and some are not even 3g

If they were both "full service" it would be great
Yes, you have to do your research. But on the budget phones I am not really expecting 4G on both, if they do it is a bonus I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.