Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
T Series. I'll tell you the model when you tell me your SSN. <sticks tongue out>
Ummmm T series is a long list to look up thru !
just looking for something with battery life like you say you get ..,

My ss# is 555 1212 310

Thanks
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Ummmm T series is a long list to look up thru !
just looking for something with battery life like you say you get ..,

My ss# is 555 1212 310

Thanks
The standard workhorse for the T series is the T480. Get it with SSD and the large second battery. Or the X1 Carbon if you want very thin and light and still have long battery life.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Galaxy Note 9 is up and running. Sweet! Significantly brighter than my V20; lighter; narrower. Haven't even fooled with the S Pen yet.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
I have the 256GB version of the iPhone X. The battery life is amazing and it is just the right size. I have had it about 6 months and it is my favorite phone since i finally gave up my Motorola StarTac.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:09 pm

Huawei finally updated my phone to EMUI 9 (android pie), and finally has the dropdown on top (quick menu).
With EMUI 8 they didn't, and it was a pain to reach any settings, requiring multiple clicks.

Huawei also updates slowly, but I guess every other manufacturer is the same.

FYI, in case you were thinking of getting a Huawei. Their interface is quite non-standard prior to EMUI 9 and I found it very awkward.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Huawei also updates slowly, but I guess every other manufacturer is the same.
Only the ones like Huawei putting spyware into your phone. <ducking>
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The first thing I install on any Android device is Nova launcher. I then have my familiar interface in seconds
Dodge DeBoulet likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Only the ones like Huawei putting spyware into your phone. <ducking>
Speaking of which, I've come across more than one story recently with people sounding alarms about Huawei selling 5G network equipment and underpricing other vendors by 23%.

As a result, some carriers who serve the rural markets are planning to go with Huawei and the rural customers are only too happy to get service. But then they may be at risk for being spied on.

Apparently Huawei is a huge force in 5G networking gear.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am currently looking at this Xiaomi A2 Lite 64GB (can't post a link at the moment as it doesn't seem to be working correctly)

Last edited by Silver Fox; Feb 1, 2019 at 2:42 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by wco81
As a result, some carriers who serve the rural markets are planning to go with Huawei and the rural customers are only too happy to get service. But then they may be at risk for being spied on.
It's not difficult to detect stuff that's being sent back to China... Huawei would be absolutely mad to install stuff like that on their masts.

Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:40 am

And? Nothing in there other than a lot of ifs and maybes.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: *G
GROSS: Some of the things you've described about China's capabilities of spying on us and hacking data and interfering with cyberwar, even - I mean, that's - it's some pretty terrifying stuff. At the same time, the U.S. has done similar things to China and other countries. Would you describe an operation that was named Shotgiant?

SANGER: Terry, Shotgiant was a National Security Agency operation that happened around 2010. We know about it because some of the details were leaked out in the Snowden documents. It was an effort by the NSA to do to Huawei exactly what we have accused Huawei of doing to us, which is breaking into networks, figuring out how they operate and setting ourselves up to either steal information from those networks or cripple them in the future.

What did the NSA do? It got into Huawei's corporate systems in Shenzhen, the Chinese industrial city. It looked for any evidence that the Chinese PLA was actually secretly controlling the company - doesn't appear they found any. It looked to understand how Huawei's equipment operated, how the software worked so that if Huawei sold a network switching system to an American adversary - say, Venezuela or Cuba or someplace that clearly wouldn't buy American equipment - then the NSA would have an easier time breaking into that equipment. The - this is not unusual. This is what the United States government created the NSA to go do. This is the kind of offensive cyber activity that the NSA conducts not only against China but against Russia, Iran, North Korea and so forth.
_
_
_

Added by the moderator for attribution clarity:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/69029...curity-at-risk

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:48 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
The possibility of Huawei or other manufacturers eavesdropping on customers is one of great interest to many. While a legit subject for this forum, please try and avoid going Omni on the subject.

Last edited by Moderator2; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Moderator2
The possibility of Huawei or other manufacturers ease-dropping on customers is one of great interest to many. While a legit subject for this forum, please try and avoid going Omni on the subject.
I’m sure you meant “eavesdropping”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.