Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet: Mini review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet: Mini review

(Edit: After 2 weeks of use, the sleeve does get VERY loose - I can't recommend this anymore - I'm now trying the FRTMA - please follow my medium publication for future updates

Hi, been a long time since I posted any product review in flyer talk, so here is a short one.

In a previous thread, I asked around for options to hold the absolutely wonderful apple pencil without having to keep it in my pocket. While there are many cases with pencil holders (with the logitech create being the best of those options), they all add a significant amount of bulk.

I needed something that worked with the Apple Smart Keyboard and the Apple back cover, so I bought the moxiware apple pencil magnet. I wasn't entirely sure if it would really work well with both the back and front covers as they take away pretty much all of the natural iPad surface where the magnet is supposed to attach to. Most of the (very limited) reviews I found did not include the smart keyboard as well as the back case. Oh well, dive in and test myself I suppose.

Moxiware does not sell through Amazon, so it cost me around $23 with shipping.

Summary: Excellent so far, does not interfere with holding a pencil (and it may actually add a grip you'd like). Snaps well to the apple case, strong enough that I don't have a problem walking around with it in an office environment while keeping it in the "store" position. I'm not sure I'd stick the pencil outside whilst outdoors though - just not comfortable with the idea.

If your job is like this guy or this guy, please, don't trust the magnet.

The product
The product is essentially a magnet enclosed in a rubberized matte-finish tube. The actual length of the enclosure covers almost the entire pencil body. I opted to cut the edges so the pencil body can show through. I also opted for the white color as I found it 'blended' the best with the pencil. There are other colors if you'd prefer them.

Here is what my version looks like: (compare this to the uncut tube here)

Storage position
The pencil attaches securely to the smart keyboard hump when closed - secure enough that I have no problems taking it around with me in my hand. Note that I don't recommend you just using this magnet while outdoors/in crowded areas etc. While the magnet is quite strong, it is a magnet after all and a hard push or shove could possibly dislodge it.

From Storage to typing position
The nice part about this is when you flip open the iPad pro for typing, this storage position folds back perfectly like so:

Temporary rest while switching between writing and typing
In the event you need to rest the pencil while working and you don't have a table, or have a table but convinced yourself that only squares keep things on tables, the magnet allows the pen to stick to the top of the iPad pro (or the bottom, but top is really where you should keep it because the bottom interferes with the keyboard keys) like so: (Note that in this position, the magnet hold strength is not as strong as the storage position I showed earlier, so use this only during workflow)

Another position is inside the back rest triangle, but I find that completely unnecessary:

Charging and the cap
While charging the pencil in its umm "Sildenafil"-esque stance that Apple thrust upon us, the magnet allows you to rest the cap attached to the magnet (not a strong holding position, but enough to keep it there during charge)

While we are on a roll
A good advantage of this cover is that the pencil doesn't free roll anymore. And it doesn't interfere at all with my writing (this is obviously my opinion, YMMV)

Video

here is a brief video on how it performs:
If the video does not show below please go to:

QA
  • Does cutting the enclosure affect the fit - cutting the enclosure does make it easier to slide the magnet in and out, but that doesn't imply its loose. Its still a snug fit and I don't see it slipping out in normal use so far. Over time? Time will tell.
  • How does this affect writing ? - I wouldn't be surprised if you actually prefer this texture. It adds a grip and the magnet does not interfere for me. So before you opt to cut it, please give it a go with the full enclosure.
  • So why did I cut it ? - Because I wanted to show the bling.
  • How does it behave whilst in the bag - I take it to office in my computer bag. I don't stuff my bag. The iPad pro and the pencil have their own pocket. The pencil holds well. If you have a stuffed bag, it is entirely possible it may dislodge the pencil.
  • Does it look cheap? - I don't think so at all. And after I cut the tube, a lot of the apple pencil sheen shows anyway.

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.