Netflix now has download option for offline viewing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netflix now has download option for offline viewing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Netflix shows on the show page that it is going to be removed in "Month, Year" so you know it in advance.

It actually does sync up, I've seen some episodes offline on my phone and then watched online from my laptop and had no issue finding where I stopped.
It hasn't worked for me even once. I watch the episodes on my iPad or iPhone and then try to continue on Xfinity or Apple TV and it doesn't see any of the progress.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
While I was in Chile, I could watch and download several movies that I like a few of which I had watched in the USA.

Now back in the USA, the movies I most liked that were downloaded cannot be played 'in your area' (22004).

This is disappointing so I take it the only way to watch my first-choice movies on Netflix is to use a VPN which adds expense and slows down my connection?

Last edited by Xeno; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Xeno
While I was in Chile, I could watch and download several movies that I like a few of which I had watched in the USA.

Now back in the USA, the movies I most liked that were downloaded cannot be played 'in your area' (22004).

This is disappointing so I take it the only way to watch my first-choice movies on Netflix is to use a VPN which adds expense and slows down my connection?
You can't use Netflix with a VPN
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You can't use Netflix with a VPN
There are ways to watch Netflix via VPN.

Popular commercial VPN services aren't the only VPNs around for use.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you download movies in one area then try to watch them in another be sure to switch your device to airplane mode beforehand. This stops it from checking the region and it should play your downloaded program wherever you are.

It's stupid that you should have to do this for downloaded content but that's how the app seems to work.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are ways to watch Netflix via VPN.

Popular commercial VPN services aren't the only VPNs around for use.
Netflix doesn't block "known VPNs" only. They block re-routed traffic, so even remote desktop has been blocked. As has military grade VPN (i.e. built by the military for military use).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Netflix doesn't block "known VPNs" only. They block re-routed traffic, so even remote desktop has been blocked. As has military grade VPN (i.e. built by the military for military use).
I routinely watch out-of-country Netflix content on my iPad using a commercial VPN. I was doing it yesterday.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They block more than just "known VPNs". But still I was watching US Netflix from Europe just a few hours ago. My own solution using a VPN, and it was not blocked.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:36 am
Suspended

Awesome! Could have used that last night on a 6 hour flight. Will be great for future flights though. But what if you want to do so on a Mac? I found this article intresting https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/net...nload-mac.html This might seem troublesome for some, but it’s the most efficient way I’ve found to download Netflix shows and movies on Mac.

Last edited by TheHig; Jan 17, 2018 at 11:09 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I use my own OpenVPN setup off my iPad all the time and it works just fine. Of course this is only tunneling from overseas to my home network.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Xeno

Turning on airplane mode before launching the Netflix app should allow you to complete the movies you downloaded while overseas. Nothing worse than missing the last 30 minutes of a movie because you turned your network back on once back from a trip.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:09 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I use my own OpenVPN setup off my iPad all the time and it works just fine. Of course this is only tunneling from overseas to my home network.
Going OT... but how do you get OpenVPN to give you an IP address that appears to be in your home country? My router has OpenVPN built in, and I generate an file that I then import to an OpenVPN client on my Mac (Tunnelblick). This seems to work fine - I can get onto my home network, but I still seem to have the same IP, so Netflix / iPlayer etc. know that I'm not in the UK.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:21 pm

If you use Tunnelblick you can go to the settings tab and choose "Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN", this should do the trick for Netflix.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ditto
If you use Tunnelblick you can go to the settings tab and choose "Route all IPv4 traffic through the VPN", this should do the trick for Netflix.
Thanks!
DMSFCA likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BA
Not for VR version...

Which makes me so sad. I love the setting, and using it in-flight would be a great escape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.