Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How cold is too cold for an unopened, new laptop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

We're planning to buy a Macbook Air this Friday in NH en route to Maine for a long weekend. During the day over the weekend, we want to have new laptop with us in the car leaving it in the trunk. The temps during the day will be in the 30s. Will the cool temps do damage to a laptop that hasn't been turned on but is still in the box? We will take it inside our hotel room at night.

Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Nov 21, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Analise
We're planning to buy a Macbook Air this Friday in NH en route to Maine for a long weekend. During the day over the weekend, we want to have new laptop with us in the car. The temps during the day will be in the 30s. Will the cool temps do damage to a laptop that hasn't been turned on but is still in the box? We will take it inside our hotel room at night.

Thanks.
It won't suffer any damage. It's best not to turn on a very cold laptop till it has a chance to get closer to room temperature, just to reduce the chance of dampness from condensation -- though a little condensation won't hurt it, either.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
According to Apple:

A MacBook air should be operated between 10°C and 35°C (50°F - 95°F)
and stored between -25°C and 45°C (-13°F - 113°F)

In any case avoid too quick temperature changes (i.e. switching the device on after it has cooled down too much).

(Source: http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
You will be fine, just let it warm up as ajGoes says.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-25° to 45° C)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
(Beaten to it!! Dah!)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would be inclined to wrap it in something as close to airtight as practical during the warming period. The issue is condensation.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I would be inclined to wrap it in something as close to airtight as practical during the warming period. The issue is condensation.
Our plan is to keep the MBA in the sealed box until we return to NYC. We would bring it to our hotel room overnight. Would it be better for the MBA to leave it in the trunk for the entire weekend?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:46 am

Our plan is to keep the MBA in the sealed box until we return to NYC. We would bring it to our hotel room overnight. Would it be better for the MBA to leave it in the trunk for the entire weekend?
Personally I would take it to the room at night, only because I don't like leaving valuables in the car especially when the car is parked at the hotel. People shops on travel and leave their purchases in the trunks and the thieves know it.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
Personally I would take it to the room at night, only because I don't like leaving valuables in the car especially when the car is parked at the hotel. People shops on travel and leave their purchases in the trunks and the thieves know it.
That's why we want to bring it inside.

If there is an issue with condensation in the evening moving it inside, is it still better to leave the laptop sealed in the box?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
That's why we want to bring it inside.

If there is an issue with condensation in the evening moving it inside, is it still better to leave the laptop sealed in the box?
Bring it inside in the box for security. It will come to no harm.

You are well within my normal operating temperatures! On Sunday I took mine from -5C home/car to airport lounge!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antichef
Bring it inside in the box for security. It will come to no harm.

You are well within my normal operating temperatures! On Sunday I took mine from -5C home/car to airport lounge!
That's good to know as I was getting concerned that 4 nights of condensation might seep into the laptop.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
That's good to know as I was getting concerned that 4 nights of condensation might seep into the laptop.
Our home heating is broken and awaiting repair, and the outside temperature and frost over most of last week did not get above freezing! As you can see from the storage specs shown you are well within the operating range. Condensation will not be a problem with what you are doing.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:27 am
KCZ

If you bring the cold laptop inside and expose it to warm air, any moisture in the air will condense on the laptop, just like taking a can of soda out of your fridge. Leave it sealed in the box. When you get home, leave it in the box until it comes up to room temperature.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KCZ
If you bring the cold laptop inside and expose it to warm air, any moisture in the air will condense on the laptop, just like taking a can of soda out of your fridge. Leave it sealed in the box. When you get home, leave it in the box until it comes up to room temperature.
I had wondered if the unopened laptop sealed in the box would still be exposed to any moisture in the air and form condensation on the cover that could seep into the laptop. Sounds like I'll be ok. Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Nov 24, 2016 at 7:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.