Flexiroam X Review - Pan-International SIM sticker

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flexiroam X Review - Pan-International SIM sticker

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: most of them
I will point out once again that the "local" plans offer terrific value if you are going to be in one country or they also offer some regional plans like Europe, for example. And if you plan way ahead there are huge discounts. Buy the plan 90 days or more ahead and the discount is 70% off. So if you are a planner you can save a good deal of money buying the plan ahead of time and it will only be active for the dates you set. For example I am headed to Thailand and Vietnam in February so I bought separate plans for each country activated when I arrive in each place. Vietnam must have been added recently because I don't think they had service there last time I checked.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Any experience in Morocco? I note Flexiroam shows it's just 3G coverage there, while there's cheap availability of local 4G. Normally I'd use Flexiroam, but 3G doesn't sound very interesting to me...

Also will be nice when they fill in with Cambodia. It's not all that difficult buying local SIMs but I do enjoy the convenience of not having to.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hi, Mike

Flexiroam coverage in Morocco is under beta that is why it's still under 3G. Eventually, it will transition to 4G after the testing. For Cambodia, we have coverage now using Viettel 3G.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:22 pm

For Black Friday visit the shop to avail limited amazing offer, especially to those who haven't tried it yet. Best time to try it now
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
The Black Friday offering details

Originally Posted by Flexiroam
For Black Friday visit the shop to avail limited amazing offer, especially to those who haven't tried it yet. Best time to try it now
For newbies, the special offer gets you twice the normal data when ordering a starter package. A very good deal indeed! Note that Flexiroam is currently quoting longer-than-normal times for delivery (Dec 6-13; typically I've had my starter packs delivered in less than a week).

For the rest of it, the offer is apparently a doubling of the value you add to your "wallet." In theory, you can double-dip FlexiRoam discounts by buying during wallet promos and then applying that value when there's a data promo. The main downside to having value in your wallet is that it expires in one year. Near as I can tell, topping-up (adding more value to the wallet) does not extend the validity of what's already there.

Overall I've been extremely pleased with Flexiroam, with the exception, a couple years ago, of Peru. For some reason mine just wouldn't get more than dial-up speed, while my daughter, also using Flexiroam, was flying. Tried all the resets and tricks but nothing helped. Elsewhere, and there have been quite a few elsewheres, it's performed great. Good to see it's now available in Thailand and Cambodia too! Hopefully my "beta" test in Morocco in a couple of weeks will go well; if not, local sims are apparently readily available & cheap. But there's a lot to be said for the convenience of not having to mess with local sims, which can sometimes take much longer to get set up than expected.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
For newbies, the special offer gets you twice the normal data when ordering a starter package. A very good deal indeed! Note that Flexiroam is currently quoting longer-than-normal times for delivery (Dec 6-13; typically I've had my starter packs delivered in less than a week).

For the rest of it, the offer is apparently a doubling of the value you add to your "wallet." In theory, you can double-dip FlexiRoam discounts by buying during wallet promos and then applying that value when there's a data promo. The main downside to having value in your wallet is that it expires in one year. Near as I can tell, topping-up (adding more value to the wallet) does not extend the validity of what's already there.

Overall I've been extremely pleased with Flexiroam, with the exception, a couple years ago, of Peru. For some reason mine just wouldn't get more than dial-up speed, while my daughter, also using Flexiroam, was flying. Tried all the resets and tricks but nothing helped. Elsewhere, and there have been quite a few elsewheres, it's performed great. Good to see it's now available in Thailand and Cambodia too! Hopefully my "beta" test in Morocco in a couple of weeks will go well; if not, local sims are apparently readily available & cheap. But there's a lot to be said for the convenience of not having to mess with local sims, which can sometimes take much longer to get set up than expected.
The validity of the wallet credit is extended by 365 days every time there's a transaction, so you could always buy the cheapest possible local data if you're not going to use it for a year. It's in the FAQ.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
The validity of the wallet credit is extended by 365 days every time there's a transaction, so you could always buy the cheapest possible local data if you're not going to use it for a year. It's in the FAQ.
Thanks, just found that part of the FAQ. This is different from how it works with data plans. Which brings up another question. If you've got a "global" plan but wish to use a country-specific plan for a trip in the middle of the "global" plan's timeframe, do you need to do anything special to make sure the data is pulled from the country plan?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thanks, just found that part of the FAQ. This is different from how it works with data plans. Which brings up another question. If you've got a "global" plan but wish to use a country-specific plan for a trip in the middle of the "global" plan's timeframe, do you need to do anything special to make sure the data is pulled from the country plan?
I assume it would know to prioritize local data, but something I’ll test out in Feb.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: most of them
I believe the country plan takes precedence. You set the start date for the local plan when you buy it.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
My first international trip with Flexiroam worked wonderfully - seamlessly switched networks and had no problems in skipping across Germany, Austria, and Greece. When I upgraded my phone and got a new SIM card, Flexiroam graciously provided a replacement sticker (you can't reattach them to a new sticker). When I came back from Italy this fall, I suddenly had no service on my Verizon reseller's network. at all Tried rebooting the phone, even did a hard reset and wipe of the device and still didn't work. Went round and round with Flexiroam technical support to try try and diagnose the problem - they were very polite and diligent in that. However, ultimately the only thing that worked was pulling out the SIM card removing the sticker and reinserting it. When I turned the phone back on, it logged on with no problems So, when Flexiroam works it is wonderful, but when things go wrong they can be VERY frustrating.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by lostinohio
My first international trip with Flexiroam worked wonderfully - seamlessly switched networks and had no problems in skipping across Germany, Austria, and Greece. When I upgraded my phone and got a new SIM card, Flexiroam graciously provided a replacement sticker (you can't reattach them to a new sticker). When I came back from Italy this fall, I suddenly had no service on my Verizon reseller's network. at all Tried rebooting the phone, even did a hard reset and wipe of the device and still didn't work. Went round and round with Flexiroam technical support to try try and diagnose the problem - they were very polite and diligent in that. However, ultimately the only thing that worked was pulling out the SIM card removing the sticker and reinserting it. When I turned the phone back on, it logged on with no problems So, when Flexiroam works it is wonderful, but when things go wrong they can be VERY frustrating.
I've had this issue in Seoul, right in the middle of a trip. The sticker magically started working again once I got back to Canada (ended up paying for another SIM card in South Korea, and for some reason you need to register with a passport to use data in Korea. Very frustrating).

I think they used to have the option of getting a SIM card instead of the sticker before. It's no longer on the website, but my friend tells me she was able to get the physical sim through e-mailing Flexiroam. That might be an alternative you could consider.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:27 pm

Update on Flexiroam in Morocco

Looks like no need to worry about the "beta" 3G status of Flexiroam in Morocco. It has seamlessly switched to the stronger network in our travels so far, and more often than not is 4G, not 3G. After a couple days I switched to a local (Orange) sim card to avoid running out of cheap data though. My wife remains on Flexiroam. Native 3 & 4G data is dirt cheap here. The Orange sim cost 30 Dirham (about $3.25) and 15gigs of data, plus 4.5 hours voice, ran another 100 dirhams (about $13). Total cost less than $20 for 15gigs, good for 30 days. Main downside to a local sim is that it can take a very long time for them to set you up in the store, and if you don't speak one of the local languages, it can be tough. With Flexiroam, no issue there. It just works.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by lostinohio
Hi, following is my experience with Flexiroam.

In August 2018 me and my wife used two Flexiroam stickers (1GB starter pack) in our iPhones in Guatemala and Costarica. In Guatemala the service was good, but in Costarica it was a nightmare! Apparently the phones were connected to the network with full coverage and 3G symbol (BTW, Flexiroam promises 4G speed in Costarica, which is false), but in reality they had no Internet connection. We had to turn our phones off and then back on several times to make the connection “wake up”; however, after a few minutes we were offline again. It was really frustrating. We tried to contact customer service, but they were useless, since the only advice they gave us was to check coverage.

At the end of 2018 we gave Flexiroam a second chance. We purchased a 15 days-1 GB pack to use in Tanzania. Upon arrival we activated the stickers and, guess what? We were connected to the local (AIRTEL) network at 2G speed, even if 3G was widely available (we could check that is was available using a 10 years old spare Nokia phone)! It was nearly impossibile to see any video, upload or download photos, place or receive Whatsapp or Skype calls, i.e. use our phones in the way we intended to. Again, I sent an email to their customer support: they made me we waste a lot of time to explain the issue in detail and send them screenshots of our phones’ settings, but at the end they didn’t give us any suggestion to solve the issue. After a week and several emails with them, I requested a refund: they didn’t even reply. So my sincere advice is: beware! The service is unreliable and their customer support very poor. I would stay away from Flexiroam.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Michele De Acetis
I would stay away from Flexiroam.
Outnumbered 132:1, so ....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Outnumbered 132:1, so ....
So what? I don't see only positive reviews in this thread. And even if positive reviews are more frequent than negative, what should your post mean? Please explain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.