New MacBook Pros (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:50 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Same here - I also have an iMac with a normal hard drive (not even Fusion). Performance was terrible - but not only for Office 2016.

I eventually bit the bullet and had an SSD installed by a local company. Restored from a back in 30 minutes,

It's like having a new machine God knows why I didn't do it sooner.
I hear you, they have really been optimizing the OS for SSD. It was a company box and I wanted a notebook instead of a desktop and a notebook, so went for the MBP (got to love end-of-year surpluses) . Lucky for me I haven't had the issue with battery life. I wonder what I am doing right (wrong?)!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Is it me or does the refurb site seem to be particularly lacking in 15" MBPs lately? I wonder if people are just opting for those instead of bothering with the new models.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:48 pm

Just got my 13" a few days ago. My previous one seems clunky by comparison.

Love the weight and the screen; like the USB-C now that I'm organized on it. Will get a USB-C monitor in the near future.

And Touch ID with 1P is amazing - love it!
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:22 pm

Not sure why my previous post didn't show up.. Maybe stuck in modqueue somewhere. EDIT: Never mind, found it thanks!

A new update for MacOS was released today. Among other fixes, it removed the "Time Remaining" indicator.

While I've always kept it enabled as a sanity check, it's never been very accurate anyway. Still feeling somewhat conflicted about its total removal though.

Last edited by eeflyer; Dec 13, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Not sure why my previous post didn't show up.. Maybe stuck in modqueue somewhere.

A new update for MacOS was released today. Among other fixes, it removed the "Time Remaining" indicator.

While I've always kept it enabled as a sanity check, it's never been very accurate anyway. Still feeling somewhat conflicted about its total removal though.
It kinda reeks of the whole "you're holding it wrong" thing that happened with the iPhone a few years back. Apple will probably eventually be forced to admit that there's actually a problem with the MBP's battery if history's any indication.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It kinda reeks of the whole "you're holding it wrong" thing that happened with the iPhone a few years back. Apple will probably eventually be forced to admit that there's actually a problem with the MBP's battery if history's any indication.
That is a concern as well. But what could be the possible solution? It won't be as simple as issuing bumpers to MBP owners In addition reports have been somewhat spotty. It's going to vary widely based on usage patterns (dGPU active, compute-intensive tasks, etc). I should really get around to benchmarking my battery life to see if it personally affects me.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is a concern as well. But what could be the possible solution? It won't be as simple as issuing bumpers to MBP owners In addition reports have been somewhat spotty. It's going to vary widely based on usage patterns (dGPU active, compute-intensive tasks, etc). I should really get around to benchmarking my battery life to see if it personally affects me.
In this case, it'd likely be a monetary settlement and a downward adjustment of advertised battery life. The upside is that Apple might actually have to add back a mm or two of thickness to be able to advertise 10 hour battery life again.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is it me or does the refurb site seem to be particularly lacking in 15" MBPs lately? I wonder if people are just opting for those instead of bothering with the new models.
apple doesn't really want to offer the refurbs on the 15" (and certainly not the 2016 models yet). Most of the most recent 15" with the Radeon X370m dGPU would be directly competitive to the current new 2016 model (and an upgraded BTO at that).

There's a reason that apple kept the 2015 chassis in place, but depricated the GPU, they want ppl to move to the new 2016 model to get that. So, not available in the retail outlets, and most likely won't be available in the refurb store.

I recently bought a couple of the last model rMBP 15", with upgraded CPU and the dGPU and 1TB SSD for 2100$ (this was a 3100$ machine 2 months ago) brand new "apple refurbished" with the full apple warranty-on ebay. So, I think what apple has done has moved these units to a third market and not making them available through their primary refurb mkt on the apple store.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I recently bought a couple of the last model rMBP 15", with upgraded CPU and the dGPU and 1TB SSD for 2100$ (this was a 3100$ machine 2 months ago) brand new "apple refurbished" with the full apple warranty-on ebay. So, I think what apple has done has moved these units to a third market and not making them available through their primary refurb mkt on the apple store.
Were you able to buy AppleCare for those? That'd be my concern when buying from a third party like that.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:35 am

Were you able to buy AppleCare for those? That'd be my concern when buying from a third party like that.
if a unit is currently under applecare warranty (which these are) adding the ac extension has never been a problem in my experience. We'll see, I only do it before the 1 yr deadline if I've had problems with the unit or if they have some inherent problem.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not sure why my previous post didn't show up.. Maybe stuck in modqueue somewhere. EDIT: Never mind, found it thanks!

Will the "time remaining" feature be removed from MBAs too? I haven't received the update on my MBA.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Analise
Will the "time remaining" feature be removed from MBAs too? I haven't received the update on my MBA.
Yes - it's removed from the OS - so will affect all machines running the new MacOS version.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Yes - it's removed from the OS - so will affect all machines running the new MacOS version.
you can still find it in the energy section of the activity monitor, and I think there is a terminal hack that will bring it back if you like.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:26 am

Does that also mean that the percentage of battery life info is also removed?

It sounds like they opt not to want to fix the MBP problem but instead prefer to hide it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wonder if there will be a class-action against Apple for the MacBook battery misrepresentation - I for one, am ready to join.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.