Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I spent a bit of time in the Apple Store a few days ago typing away at the new MBP. I don't really like the keyboard. My hands hurt after a while and I didn't get the right sort of travel and feedback from the keys. I suppose I could get used to it but I much prefer the keys on my mid-2014 Retina MBP. The function bar seems a bit of a solution looking for a problem but maybe that will grow into its own.

As someone who still adds music via CDs, connects using HDMI, and has several cameras and printers regularly attached, the lack of anything other than USB-C is frustrating, meaning tons of dongles hanging out of the machine. Not a very clean look. Oh, and my current solution of having my Photos library live on a microSD with a flush adapter in the SD slot won't work either...

What is this obsession with thinness and lightweight. They're fine now.

I'll pass for now and reconsider in a year or so.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I spent a bit of time in the Apple Store a few days ago typing away at the new MBP. I don't really like the keyboard. My hands hurt after a while and I didn't get the right sort of travel and feedback from the keys. I suppose I could get used to it but I much prefer the keys on my mid-2014 Retina MBP. The function bar seems a bit of a solution looking for a problem but maybe that will grow into its own.

As someone who still adds music via CDs, connects using HDMI, and has several cameras and printers regularly attached, the lack of anything other than USB-C is frustrating, meaning tons of dongles hanging out of the machine. Not a very clean look. Oh, and my current solution of having my Photos library live on a microSD with a flush adapter in the SD slot won't work either...

What is this obsession with thinness and lightweight. They're fine now.

I'll pass for now and reconsider in a year or so.
In a year or two, the USB-C situation will get better. However, I have doubts as to whether the keyboard will get better without an increase in thickness (which is also unlikely). Something to keep in mind anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikel51
I just ordered a pretty upgraded 13". Same weight as my old 2012 MacBook Air that was great for traveling but with better screen and more speed. I did cough a bit at the price, but went for it anyway.
Did you order it from Apple?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by tmiw
In a year or two, the USB-C situation will get better. However, I have doubts as to whether the keyboard will get better without an increase in thickness (which is also unlikely). Something to keep in mind anyway.
On the PC side, the keyboard situation has been what's kept me on relatively thick business models rather than the thinner faux-Mac models.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
On the PC side, the keyboard situation has been what's kept me on relatively thick business models rather than the thinner faux-Mac models.
Honestly, the 2012-2015 MBP's keyboard was perfectly fine. Of course, others may disagree.

Personally I'm holding off until next year, when Apple may bring 32GB of RAM to the 15" along with a price decrease. And when the inevitable first-year bugs will be fixed.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Honestly, the 2012-2015 MBP's keyboard was perfectly fine. Of course, others may disagree.
It wasn't bad, but to my mind the move to shorter stroke and island keyboards has all been a negative one. I still sometimes travel with an otherwise antique laptop (Lenovo X201) for if I have to do heavy typing and don't need to do software development work.

They do make some nice Mac-layout mechanical keyboards which are fairly inexpensive; the big issue is weight and bulk, although there are some which aren't bad.

Personally I'm holding off until next year, when Apple may bring 32GB of RAM to the 15" along with a price decrease. And when the inevitable first-year bugs will be fixed.
For a whole bunch of my coworkers' sake, I hope they bring out the 32gb versions sooner rather than later. It's inexcusable that we've been able to put 32gb into inexpensive PC laptops for nearly two years* (since the first non-ultrabook Broadwell models came out in early 2015) , and Apple still doesn't support it.

(* and in high-end, heavy workstation models all the way back to mid-2011.)
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Very disappointed. Touch bar and yesterday's processors are hardly features worth upgrading for. I realize that Apple couldn't wait for Kaby Lake, but I think in their rush to bring out a new MBP, they've disappointed many of of their heavy users (read: developers).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Very disappointed. Touch bar and yesterday's processors are hardly features worth upgrading for. I realize that Apple couldn't wait for Kaby Lake, but I think in their rush to bring out a new MBP, they've disappointed many of of their heavy users (read: developers).
Kaby Lake can use the same chipsets as Skylake, so they can start selling an updated model as simply as updating the BIOS and changing out the supply at the factory solders the processors down. True for any of the manufacturers, but especially so for Apple where they use their own chipsets for Thunderbolt -- the big win to the refreshed-for-Kaby Lake chipsets on the PC side will be native Thunderbolt/USB 3.1 in the main chipset.

The odd thing is not that they rushed this out rather than waiting for Kaby Lake but that they were so late with Skylake and that they skipped Broadwell (when the Broadwell-H Iris Pro quad cores were kind of ideal processors for a new MBP 15")
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I use a MacBook Air as a traveling computer (on my 3rd, starting with the original).

The current one is getting a bit long in the tooth, but still serviceable. The new MacBook didn't do it for me but the new Pro is about the same weight as my MBA with more oomph. If you look at it that way, it is not so bad. But I agree it is a bit underpowered for a "portable desktop."
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
True for any of the manufacturers, but especially so for Apple where they use their own chipsets for Thunderbolt
LOL wut. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/73480 Intel JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 controller. Bog standard Intel Alpine Ridge chip. Implementing your own chipset would be foolhardy.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
There are starting to be some decent refurbished deals on the Dell XPS 15 9550 and the Precision M5510 (they're practically the same machine, although the XPS has a slightly higher end video chip, and isn't configurable with the exact same CPUs.)

The Razer has a vastly more powerful GPU than either (at least until Dell refreshes the lines), but the refurb deals (with full warranty) on the XPS are around $1100-$1200 or less than 2/3rds the price (slightly less with the i5-6300H which is a pretty beefy quad core in its own right.)

The Dells are slightly thicker and heavier, but are still one of the lighter machines at their for a machine of their power level, have a bigger 15" screen and are pretty easy to maitain/upgrade (vs. the Blades or MBP which are basically glued together and have very few upgrade options.)
Thank you nkedel! I'll have it in mind. Being said, i do, however think it's best for me to wait for next year. Either if i go Mac or Windows. Wait for the new processors, possible price cuts specially for the redesigned MBP. Thanks for pointing out the XPS upgradeability. This machine, the Air 11" still works so i think i'm going to stretch it's lifespan for an extra year to see what the God's treat us for 2017.

Also, i just checked and instead of buying Apple refurbished, it is actually cheaper to buy non-refurb from B&H. Sometimes B&H has competitive pricing, ie.. Apple products with discount, and you don't have to pay sales tax for B&H if you ship outside of NY.

I know i have used my 11" Air a lot...

I've used it a mix between plugged and unplugged.
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Interestingly, I just bought both! The MacBook Pro 15 for me and the new Razerblade Pro with the GTX 1080 for the wife and her gaming!

Santa's being very generous this year.
Hey enjoy! Best of both worlds! Happy Holidays.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
LOL wut. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacB...Teardown/73480 Intel JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 controller. Bog standard Intel Alpine Ridge chip. Implementing your own chipset would be foolhardy.
Interesting. I misunderstood the cause of the issues here:
https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-3-peripherals

It's also not clear to me what they used for Thunderbolt on older (TB2) models, as at least on Linux the drivers are different from the few TB2 non-Apple devices.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:09 pm

It's also not clear to me what they used for Thunderbolt on older (TB2) models, as at least on Linux the drivers are different from the few TB2 non-Apple devices.
TB is all Intel (chipset, separate chips, and spec)

On the new 13" TB MBPs, the right hand side ports use a separate chip under a pcie switch, which is why they have lower bandwidth. (not enough pcie lanes in the chipset). the switch adds a tiny bit of latency as well.

-David
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by mvtm
I know i have used my 11" Air a lot...

I've used it a mix between plugged and unplugged.

Hey enjoy! Best of both worlds! Happy Holidays.
the battery in the air isn't too hard to replace, much easier than the rMBP.. took me 10 minutes and cost only 55$ on ebay.

edit: looks like they have gotten a ton cheaper since I did it, now 20-30$.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by nmenaker
the battery in the air isn't too hard to replace, much easier than the rMBP..
have you replaced a rMBP battery.. i've opened up my original intel iMac and done a lot of work; SSDs in 13" MBP (and battery replacement) but the rMBP battery placement seems daunting....

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.