FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Do the older extensions still work?
I believe so.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Another nickel & diming again. This is getting pathetic.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: MP
I think they're trying too hard to make laptop slimmer to the point they could no longer house HDMI & USB sockets.

But I don't really mind them being thick to begin with. Give me back my ports!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pon18n
I think they're trying too hard to make laptop slimmer to the point they could no longer house HDMI & USB sockets.

But I don't really mind them being thick to begin with. Give me back my ports!
This is the MBP line, thin is not supposed to be the number one feature.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I think the keyboard's starting to grow on me a bit. The difference between the MBP's and the MB's is still difficult to ascertain though unless you have both next to each other. My local Apple Store also still doesn't have the Touch Bar models on display, so I'm not sure if I'll be a fan of that feature (especially since I do software development).

I'm wondering if the best move at this point would be to max out a 2015 model and delay the switch to PC/use the new MBP decision for a minimum of 3-4 more years.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vaucluse
This is the MBP line, thin is not supposed to be the number one feature.
But losing a half pound here is pretty nice.

Also, as David Pogue pointed out, we can finally buy third-party power adapters. I'm not sure if they're garbage or not, but I see 29W ones on Amazon starting in the high teens. That's a decent savings on the Apple ones, and I like to have three power adapters, so I'll be need two of these third party ones.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I believe so.
Yes they do - the connector is the same. I'm using my old cord on my brand new USB-C power supply right now
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
But losing a half pound here is pretty nice.

Also, as David Pogue pointed out, we can finally buy third-party power adapters. I'm not sure if they're garbage or not, but I see 29W ones on Amazon starting in the high teens. That's a decent savings on the Apple ones, and I like to have three power adapters, so I'll be need two of these third party ones.
I see Apple sells a 29W usb-c power adapter, but for what? The 13" MBPs use a 61W adapter, and the 15" ones use an 87W adapter.

Personally I'd stay away from the 3rd party power adapters for now and wait until we have more experience with them for the MBPs. For cell phones, no problem, those are lower power anyway.

-David
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I see Apple sells a 29W usb-c power adapter, but for what? The 13" MBPs use a 61W adapter, and the 15" ones use an 87W adapter.

-David
12" Macbook...
In addition it works great for an iPad pro

FDW
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm liking my new 15" MBP late 2016 edition. I am getting used ot the keyboard. I like Dragon Dictate on this as the microphone is much better and more accurate (as it is on my 2016 MB 12"). I think it's a wonderful computer and I love the weight. I'll be taking this travelling with me.

Just not used to the keyboard yet.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I know i told that i could be upgrading but upon seeing the reviews of the 15" (which was the one that i had my eye on), i even think i'm even better with a 2016 New Razerblade with the GTX 1060. It seems better built than the Dell XPS offerings, i like it more as the footprint is more compact, and price point is comparable to the 15" Mac, that i could get for $2250 tax included.

As days go on i'm leaving the idea of upgrading to this new MBP .. it's underpowered for what it is, if i want power that looks good i would pick the RazerBlade over the Mac, and slap a skin on it to hide that unappealing logo.

That said, i think i'm leaning more towards the current 12" Macbook as a replacement from my 11" Air as my needs are very basic and i don't do much intensive stuff on the laptop. I value portability and built quality the most so.. a 12" Macbook for $950 refurbished would make more sense to me. As most of my stuff is web browsing, Word and Excel. If i need more, or if i start a graphic intensive loadwork i would upgrade right away to something more akin to the 2016 Razerblade or splurge a little bit for a 15" 2016 MBP.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by mvtm
As most of my stuff is web browsing, Word and Excel. If i need more, or if i start a graphic intensive loadwork i would upgrade right away to something more akin to the 2016 Razerblade or splurge a little bit for a 15" 2016 MBP.
There are starting to be some decent refurbished deals on the Dell XPS 15 9550 and the Precision M5510 (they're practically the same machine, although the XPS has a slightly higher end video chip, and isn't configurable with the exact same CPUs.)

The Razer has a vastly more powerful GPU than either (at least until Dell refreshes the lines), but the refurb deals (with full warranty) on the XPS are around $1100-$1200 or less than 2/3rds the price (slightly less with the i5-6300H which is a pretty beefy quad core in its own right.)

The Dells are slightly thicker and heavier, but are still one of the lighter machines at their for a machine of their power level, have a bigger 15" screen and are pretty easy to maitain/upgrade (vs. the Blades or MBP which are basically glued together and have very few upgrade options.)
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I just ordered a pretty upgraded 13". Same weight as my old 2012 MacBook Air that was great for traveling but with better screen and more speed. I did cough a bit at the price, but went for it anyway.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
The new ones are on sale this weekend. http://bgr.com/2016/11/21/black-frid...le-deals-2016/

$100-200 off depending on model and vendor.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mvtm
I know i told that i could be upgrading but upon seeing the reviews of the 15" (which was the one that i had my eye on), i even think i'm even better with a 2016 New Razerblade with the GTX 1060. .
Interestingly, I just bought both! The MacBook Pro 15 for me and the new Razerblade Pro with the GTX 1080 for the wife and her gaming!

Santa's being very generous this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.