Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android Pay / Apple Pay and the London Underground. (US Based Travelers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Android Pay / Apple Pay and the London Underground. (US Based Travelers)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by D582
For your Visa cards, when did you add them to your phone? If they were added more than 12-15 months ago, they likely won't work.
Please expand on this. Is the issue the London underground? Does deleting and re-adding fix the problem? Just Apple Pay or also Google Pay?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by richarddd
Please expand on this. Is the issue the London underground? Does deleting and re-adding fix the problem? Just Apple Pay or also Google Pay?
TfL requires cards to support Offline Data Authentication (ODA). This allows readers to verify the card is genuine.

Prior to about 12-15 months ago, US VISA cards in mobile wallets did not support this as there is additional infrastructure required from the issuer to support. Once major issuers could support they began enabling it. If your VISA credit card is from any major issuer, it should be supported now. I'm not sure about debit cards and smaller issuers.

You will need to re-add the card as the phone needs to generate a key and submit for certification. This applies to Apple Pay, but I believe is also the case for Google Pay (I don't have an Android phone).
richarddd likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
This applies to Apple Pay, but I believe is also the case for Google Pay (I don't have an Android phone).
I haven't used my Android phone on TfL but cardpeek indicates that you're right on that. On the other hand, Samsung Pay flat out rejects the NFC attempt if I try to require ODA, so that particular wallet is unlikely to work.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:09 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
If they were added more than 12-15 months ago, they likely won't work.
I'm home now, but for the record, I added two Visa's the night before...and tried them both.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by gwade
I'm home now, but for the record, I added two Visa's the night before...and tried them both.
Not sure what trouble you were having. My partner and I are in London right now using Chase Visa cards in Apple Pay without issue on TfL.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:45 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv

Not sure what trouble you were having. My partner and I are in London right now using Chase Visa cards in Apple Pay without issue on TfL.
Eh. Most likely operator error. 😀
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the latest is on this... I have the Costco Visa + a few of the Chase Cards that have no foreign transaction fees.

I prefer to use the card directly, not through the phone. The Costco Visa works contactless at Costco stores but someone on TripAdvisor said it still does not work on the Tube as of a few days ago.

It sounds like the Chase Cards won't work unless going through ApplePay? It seems an offline phone (i.e. in Airplane Mode) should work too as it NFC, right?

Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
It sounds like the Chase Cards won't work unless going through ApplePay? It seems an offline phone (i.e. in Airplane Mode) should work too as it NFC, right?
Yep, it should still work in airplane mode. Chase is supposedly going to start issuing contactless cards soon so we'll see how those work on the Underground.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Yep, it should still work in airplane mode. Chase is supposedly going to start issuing contactless cards soon so we'll see how those work on the Underground.
Thanks. I actually just got my renewal card. I guess I should see if it works contactless in the US and report back.

I guess this also means the Citi Costco Card should work this way too (through Apple Pay)?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I actually just got my renewal card. I guess I should see if it works contactless in the US and report back.

I guess this also means the Citi Costco Card should work this way too (through Apple Pay)?
Per the contactless thread, Chase might not have started quite yet, so it's unlikely that your card has it. Check for the sideways Wi-Fi logo on the front or back to confirm its presence.

Also, I don't have the Citi card but there's a decent chance it'll work through a mobile phone.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I don't see that logo.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Costco Visa did NOT work as expected. Apple Pay worked but I got caught up using 2 different phones (with the same credit card) and the system does not know it is the same person and did not apply the daily cap. I wonder if they will credit me if I contact them.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:41 am

Costco Visa did NOT work as expected. Apple Pay worked but I got caught up using 2 different phones (with the same credit card) and the system does not know it is the same person and did not apply the daily cap. I wonder if they will credit me if I contact them.
When I was in London earlier this year, the system would not accept two different phones using the same credit card (even though TfL said it would not be a problem). It would not let the second person through. We had to change credit cards on one phone. This was with Google Pay.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:41 am

With Apple Pay, they don't know it's the same credit card. It hides the underlying credit card number and uses a virtual number.

-David
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
With Apple Pay, they don't know it's the same credit card. It hides the underlying credit card number and uses a virtual number.

-David
Even with Apple Pay, you need to make sure you tap in and tap out with the same card “selected” in Apple Pay. Somehow they are able to reconcile the proper billing despite the tokenization taking place from the device. Not sure how it works, but it does. Daily maximums are correctly applied.
LIH Prem likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.