Wiki Posts
Search

The next iPhone - 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Every piece of iPhone data, up until Cook steps on the stage, is a rumor. Apple never announces anything in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CPRich
Every piece of iPhone data, up until Cook steps on the stage, is a rumor. Apple never announces anything in advance.
Were there any misses on the specs leaks in the months leading up to the announcement? OLED screen?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Apple has been known to purposely leak stuff in the past. WSJ seems to be their preferred media outlet for that sort of thing.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Were there any misses on the specs leaks in the months leading up to the announcement? OLED screen?
Flush camera.

iPhone 7 Pro - 3 models to be released.

Smart Connector included on iPhone 7.

With actual "samples"

But the rumor mill has a hit hit rate, and quite early. Much better than when Jobs owned the secrecy effort. I suspect most of the rumors for 10th anniversary edition are pretty accurate.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by tmiw
Apple has been known to purposely leak stuff in the past. WSJ seems to be their preferred media outlet for that sort of thing.
Well more Walt Mossberg than the WSJ. And he quit the WSJ a few years ago to be a full time shill for Apple.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:50 pm

Not really a fan of the curved designs ala iPhone 6, 7. Apple should've stuck with the design of the iPhone 4s or 5 and worked around that to make the 6 onward. An iPhone 6 that was based on the 4s with glass back and gold, black or silver would've been brilliant.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maortega15
Not really a fan of the curved designs ala iPhone 6, 7. Apple should've stuck with the design of the iPhone 4s or 5 and worked around that to make the 6 onward. An iPhone 6 that was based on the 4s with glass back and gold, black or silver would've been brilliant.

You mean like the iPhone SE - which has essentially the same specs as the 6s - and has been available for a year now?

Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec

You mean like the iPhone SE - which has essentially the same specs as the 6s - and has been available for a year now?

The SE is basically a 5/5s with 6 guts in it.

What I meant was something like taking the 4s or the 5, making it thinner and having a bigger screen and more importantly, making it thinner. Something like this:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's someone playing with photoshop without understanding whether it's manufacturable.

Often the mockup renderings that fans make look too good to be true.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
That's someone playing with photoshop without understanding whether it's manufacturable.

Often the mockup renderings that fans make look too good to be true.
I'm going to be disappointed with the OLED bar on the next MacBook Pro, aren't I?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Assumptions based on the fact that it will be the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone and Apple figures to do something special.
Well more practically speaking, they tend to overhaul the guts in one year then the externals in the next. This year was internals - big jump in CPU and power consumption, step change in camera and LCD. They were moderate with prices and even cut some.

So next year they put it in a shiny new package and take a mega price hike.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by anrkitec

They've only been available since March, so they're about 6 months old.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I'm going with the iPhone 8 in April, 2017.
If you think Apple will deviate their annual refresh cycle, I have some land on Mars to sell you.

There are numerous economic reasons that they stick with annual. Not of the least that their new upgrade programs are yearly, and carrier programs are every two years.

There will - unequivocally - be no new iPhone in April. Ever.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
iPhone 8? Going the Sybase route and stepping it up to the iPhone 10, for the 10th anniversary?
I could see them just renaming it back to iPhone, especially if it's a major redesign.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I could see them just renaming it back to iPhone, especially if it's a major redesign.
Exactly. I think thus the "Iphone SE" product naming. That form factor seems to be intended to carry the low end flag for a log time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.