FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Question about noise cancelling Headphones (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1785859-question-about-noise-cancelling-headphones.html)

kbrauneis Aug 20, 2016 7:34 am

Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Im interested in picking up a set for my travels but my question is the following... do they really have any additional "side effect / benefit" like does the lack of engine/cabin noise (due to the noise cancellation) really help you not have that worn down tired feeling after a flight at the end of the day?

thanks!

Boogie711 Aug 20, 2016 7:59 am

While I understand WHY you're asking, I would suggest you're not going to get a legitimate response. It's rather like asking the question: How long is this ball of string?

The answer: It depends on the ball of string.

Noice cancellation has different benefits for different people. Some feel less tired. Some don't like the noise. Some like to be able to hear the movie. Some like active noise cancellation, some like passive. Some like earbuds, some like over-the-ear.

kbrauneis Aug 20, 2016 10:30 am

I understand Boogie711, but you are mentioning that there are some benefits just that the mileage will vary according to the person. Let me be a bit more specific, Im interested in some bose q25 or q35. Now as I fly often I wanted to know if anyone who owns them sees any added benefits to having them other than the obvious functions of the set. Like less tired, less headaches etc.

nyc2socal Aug 20, 2016 7:12 pm

I personally find active noise cancelling head/earphones to leave me less tired than without, though YMMV. The drone of the engines seems to wear me down sensory wise. I've been using NC sets since 2001. I prefer earbuds versus headsets due primarily the size and for me ear comfort (heat). I currently use the Bose QC20.

KCZ Aug 20, 2016 11:47 pm

I find that I can sleep better with them on, so yes, I'm less tired at the end of the flight.

kbrauneis Aug 21, 2016 3:17 am

thanks guys! thats great feedback. of course as always YMMV

paperwastage Aug 21, 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kbrauneis (Post 27095878)
thanks guys! thats great feedback. of course as always YMMV

fly business/first class on an airline that provides NC-headphones onboard... why not test it before buying?

I have a cheapo set of sony NC earbuds, it makes it easier to hear the IFE and sleep. might upgrade to QC20 soon

Dodge DeBoulet Aug 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27096595)
fly business/first class on an airline that provides NC-headphones onboard... why not test it before buying?

LOL, seriously? Business/First isn't exactly free. I'd love to hear how this would be a cost-effective option for evaluating NC headphones ...

RohanDXB Aug 22, 2016 2:10 am

I was recently gifted the Bose QC35s and I quite enjoy using them (always with the cable). The active noise-cancelling ones help minimize the drone from the engines and also a decent portion of the ambient cabin noise.

It proved to be quite handy on a flight from AUH to JFK. There were no babies in my row but there were a few in my section of the cabin. Whenever they started crying, I could whip em out and block out enough noise to get some shut-eye. Admittedly, they are not usable if you sleep on your sides but since I don't, it's fine for me. Sound quality is alright as long as you're not an audiophile.

Having said that, sound isolating earphones are another option wherein you get much better sound quality and are a bit more comfy for sleeping on your sides. The good ones can get pricey fast.

If the only requirement is sleep, a set of industrial-grade earplugs might do the job much better and at a fraction of the cost.

Ro

kbrauneis Aug 22, 2016 5:36 am

Thanks Guys once again for the insights, I usually dont sleep on planes and simply carry earbuds with me but my ears get "sore" from using them so that is why I have considered on getting some over the ear set, I tried a set on and they seem very comfortable, I guess I will buy em and if they are not what I hope then I will sell them down the line.

thanks all!

paperwastage Aug 22, 2016 6:10 am

Originally Posted by kbrauneis (Post 27100579)
Thanks Guys once again for the insights, I usually dont sleep on planes and simply carry earbuds with me but my ears get "sore" from using them so that is why I have considered on getting some over the ear set, I tried a set on and they seem very comfortable, I guess I will buy em and if they are not what I hope then I will sell them down the line.

thanks all!

I think that overear/onear ones are too bulky for me (too big for my backpack, ears overheat, cant sleep on side easily)

For earbuds, I do like the stayhear tips design for Bose, think they're the only ones that fit me properly and stay without falling.
Is there a bose/BestBuy/? store near you with display models?

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet (Post 27099198)
LOL, seriously? Business/First isn't exactly free. I'd love to hear how this would be a cost-effective option for evaluating NC headphones ...

if you can't sense scarcasm... :P

stack on some UR/MR/TYP redemption for premium cabin travel

Dodge DeBoulet Aug 22, 2016 10:06 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27100689)
if you can't sense scarcasm... :P

I can sense sarcasm just fine when its used in an appropriate context. What I can't figure out though is why someone would respond to a perfectly legitimate question with sarcasm.

Consider using a smiley or two next time.

PTravel Aug 22, 2016 10:46 am

Anecdotally, my wife and I (she with QC-15s, me with QC-25s) both agree that we arrive more rested and relaxed. As for side-effects, I have heard that some people have problems with active NC phones -- nausea and vertigo. Also, not all phones are created equal -- some clamp too tight and cause discomfort and headaches, on-ear phones exert pressure on the ear which can be painful, etc.

Again, anecdotally, I find my Bose QC-25 phones exceedingly comfortable on long flights. They also provide the best noise-cancelling by far.

COSPILOT Aug 22, 2016 12:14 pm

I will admit that I'm a Bose fan for the most part. For more than 20 years I've had Bose speakers in my home, have the X10 aviation headset, and have the QC 15's for day to day travel. On the rare occasion my wife travels with me, I usually borrow another set of QC 15's from a friend for my wife's use. I tried taking my X10's once, but between the bulk of them, and the questions from the FA's because they see the obvious mic, I no longer waste my time with them.

Previous to the QC 15's, I had the on ear 10's. While they performed well, my ears would hurt a little after a couple of hours of use. I actually like the smaller package of them, but comfort trumps space for me. Since I tend to upgrade phones often, I will likely pick up the QC 35's if the rumors are true about the iPhone 7 not having a headphone jack.

Each person is different, but I find the in ear devices very uncomfortable, even though I'm a side sleeper. So for actual sleep I remove the headphones and simply use ear plugs from a comfort standpoint. Even my in ear Bluetooth that I use when driving is a problem for me. In fact I think my ears have a auto eject feature and for the life of me I can't keep them in after an hour or so.:)

Sant Aug 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kbrauneis (Post 27092528)
Im interested in picking up a set for my travels but my question is the following... do they really have any additional "side effect / benefit" like does the lack of engine/cabin noise (due to the noise cancellation) really help you not have that worn down tired feeling after a flight at the end of the day?

I own one of the older Bose wired NC headphones. Because it does nullify the engine noise, I'm able fall asleep quicker and for a longer period of time. Because of that, I do feel less tired during the breakfast service.

oneant Aug 22, 2016 2:04 pm

First, decide on ear-buds or over-ear. Should be easy because and most people know what they like already.

Then just go get a set that matches that preference, try them out on your next flight, and mix it up: put them on for 30 mins without the cancelling on, then turn on the cancelling. If you don't like the result, exchange them for another set/type until you settle on the ones you like the best.

I have the QC25s and do NOT fly without them. It is quieter, more relaxing, more peaceful, and easier to ignore "chatty" seatmates. :)

WilcoRoger Aug 23, 2016 1:26 am

I have both around-ear QC15 and Etymotic hf5 and er6 IEMs. Without going into the sound quality (etymotic runs circles around Bose) the main difference is that while the Bose screens the engine noise very effectively, the Ety's will screen out everything (35-42 db according to the manufacturer) This can be an issue if you want to communicate with the FAs, etc. I use both types, though.

For sleeping I just use the highest rated foam earplugs I can find, at ca 10 cents a pair :D

nkedel Aug 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kbrauneis (Post 27100579)

In terms of the comfort factor...

I also find extended wear of earbuds (especially the "plug" kind which are now ubiquitous) to be uncomfortable. There are some much cheaper non-noise cancelling on-ear (e.g. http://amzn.to/2bjOATj ) and over-ear (e.g. http://amzn.to/2bzI0f2 ) headphones that you could try out to see what is comfortable. Heck, if you're a US-based Amazon prime member, you could probably just order both and return them both once you know which style is more comfortable.

There are also some relatively cheaper noise cancelling ones to see if some level of noise cancellation make a big difference. If you fly a lot, and find active noise cancelling valuable, the Bose models have pretty much got the best noise cancelling and are worth it, but they are pretty expensive.

bocastephen Aug 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 27105809)
I have both around-ear QC15 and Etymotic hf5 and er6 IEMs. Without going into the sound quality (etymotic runs circles around Bose) the main difference is that while the Bose screens the engine noise very effectively, the Ety's will screen out everything (35-42 db according to the manufacturer) This can be an issue if you want to communicate with the FAs, etc. I use both types, though.

For sleeping I just use the highest rated foam earplugs I can find, at ca 10 cents a pair :D

Etymotic are noise isolating, not noise canceling - there is a significant difference, especially as the fit/seal of the earbud in a noise isolating set will determine the overall effect. The best option is a noise canceling earbud with a good seal to add isolation.

markgca Aug 23, 2016 5:09 pm

i used to do a lot of travel, including to asia every month, with a few companions.
we tried various things to see if we could recover faster.

what we found; any type of noise cancellation headphones, on flights over 4 hours or so, helped tremendously. with some caveats

the in ear ones hurt after about 4 hours or so, so that didnt work that well.
the on the ear type, like one of the bose units, worked fine until people started talking. that style of headphone made that type of noise worse since it blocked the engine drone, essentially magnifying the talking. so they were out.

the over the ear ones did the best job for us, and i still use the bose versions.

one other issue; the battery type. no matter how careful you are, you are going to leave the headphones on accidentally and run the battery down. so make sure you get one that allows you to switch out the battery quickly, and carry a spare or two.
i avoided the latest model bose because you cant recharge the battery while you are wearing it (per bose) so that takes it out of action.

good luck!

WilcoRoger Aug 24, 2016 5:54 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 27109282)
Etymotic are noise isolating, not noise canceling - there is a significant difference, especially as the fit/seal of the earbud in a noise isolating set will determine the overall effect. The best option is a noise canceling earbud with a good seal to add isolation.

I am aware of the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating equipment - but I disagree with you on the "best option" NC earbuds are (IMO) snake oil. If you get up to 40db isolation what else is left to cancel? Meanwhile NC exerts pressure and deteriorate SQ.

Enthilza Aug 24, 2016 7:01 am

I would concur with what many previous posters have said (easier to fall asleep or to relax, making IFE an overall better experience...) but I would also add that the sleep I get is a better quality one. I always manage to fall asleep in a plane but with the NC headset (currently QC25 but it was the same with my Audio Technica ANC9), I usually feel fresher and more rested than I would do after a nap without those.

bocastephen Aug 24, 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 27111612)
I am aware of the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating equipment - but I disagree with you on the "best option" NC earbuds are (IMO) snake oil. If you get up to 40db isolation what else is left to cancel? Meanwhile NC exerts pressure and deteriorate SQ.

I was referring to earbud style noise canceling, which combine active noise canceling with noise isolation (ANC doesn't screen out conversations, screaming babies or snoring). I don't like any over-the-head type of earphone, but noise isolating alone doesn't do it for me even with Comply foam tips for a good seal.

BrentHutto Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

For almost as long as I've been making transatlantic flights I've depending on Etymotic in-ear monitors. The last couple years it's been a pair of HF5's. My only problem is after 2-3 hours my ear canals just can't take it any more (to be precise, my left ear canal which is oddly shaped and very curved).

So for this year's trip I'm adding an over-the-ear noise canceling headset. It's one I picked up in Like New condition from Amazon Warehouse Sales for 60-something dollars. Audio-Technica ANC7B which is an older (2009-ish?) model that runs on one AAA battery and has a wired connection to your phone or music player.

From trying it out at home, the downside is going to be it is very hot, and very tight on my ears. I think 90 minutes without taking a breather would seem very long. But it is pretty effective at blocking all sound even before engaging the noise-cancelling and once I flip the switch to ON any low-mid frequency sounds are almost completely knocked out.

Pretty darned effective, never tried a Bose set so I don't know it compares to the pricey ones. Sound quality is more muffled than harsh so not really objectionable but it won't replace my Etymotics for extended music-listening use. I'm envisioning wearing the HF5's and listening to music to start the flight, pulling them out when my ears get tired and just using the Audio-Technica to muffle the noise for an hour or so then going back to the IEM for some more music.

Neither ear canal plugs or an over-the-ear headset are something I'd want on for an entire 8-9 hour flight.

PTravel Aug 26, 2016 1:44 pm

I started writing this last week, but didn't get a chance to finish.

The question of comfort is relevant for two reasons. First, phones shouldn't be so tight as feel like clamps -- they'll produce headaches. This is also why on-ear phones are problematic, as they push down on the ears.

However, the other reason relates to acoustic sealing, and also implicates the specific type of phones. Acoustic leakage can and will be very annoying to other passengers. Accordingly, you want phones that seal well without causing pain. You also want closed-back phones, rather than open-back phones. As a rule, cheap phones (1) often are open-back, (2) have significant acoustic leakage, and (3) are not comfortable for long use. I've used a variety of phones over the years, but the most comfortable, the most effective at acoustic sealing, and the best at noise cancelling are the Bose QC line, though only th over ear, rather than on-ear, models. I routinely wear my Bose (currently the QC25) for the entire duration of a trans-pac flight -- as long as 16 hours -- without significant discomfort. They also have reasonable acoustic leakage characteristics, i.e. they won't disturb neighboring pax, and reasonably good sound quality. In my view, they represent the best compromise for active NC and audio on a plane.

I also have a set of Etymotics. I do sometimes use them on short flights (90 minutes or less), but they do get uncomfortable and their bass response is lacking compared to phones.

phlwookie Aug 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Agree on the Bose models. I think the QC35s are the most comfortable over-ear headphones I've ever used. Not that older models were bad, but they would get uncomfortable after 8-10 hours.

The in-ear Q20s are actually what I usually carry when flying long haul, especially in biz/first class. I sleep best on my sides, so rolling over from my back to my side can't really happen with over-ear headphones, but I can get comfortable with the QC20s.

WilcoRoger Aug 28, 2016 1:19 am

Originally Posted by PTravel (Post 27123808)
In my view, they represent the best compromise for active NC and audio on a plane.

I also have a set of Etymotics. I do sometimes use them on short flights (90 minutes or less), but they do get uncomfortable and their bass response is lacking compared to phones.

I have to agree with you on Bose being a good compromise. They have a very good (best?) active NC and, let's admit, mediocre sound quality. But an airplane is not a listening room, so mediocre SQ might be good enough. But once you leave the plane the SQ is not good enough, you'll start to hear the noise introduced by the ANC, etc. I have the QC15 which only works with ANC on. :td:

I prefer noise isolating - Etymotic. I have had their medium range products for many years (er6, er6i, hf3, hf5) No issues with bass (just insert correctly), with the right tips they are comfy and the outside world just disappears (which is why I rarely dare to use them while biking). Pair this with top of the class SQ, minuscule size, no batteries...

BrentHutto Aug 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger (Post 27129222)
I have to agree with you on Bose being a good compromise. They have a very good (best?) active NC and, let's admit, mediocre sound quality. But an airplane is not a listening room, so mediocre SQ might be good enough. But once you leave the plane the SQ is not good enough, you'll start to hear the noise introduced by the ANC, etc. I have the QC15 which only works with ANC on. :td:

I prefer noise isolating - Etymotic. I have had their medium range products for many years (er6, er6i, hf3, hf5) No issues with bass (just insert correctly), with the right tips they are comfy and the outside world just disappears (which is why I rarely dare to use them while biking). Pair this with top of the class SQ, minuscule size, no batteries...

I use my hf5's for daily listening while walking between my car and office and some times while at work. They don't sound as open and marvelous as a $600 Sennseiser headphone but that sound better than mediocre headphones. And it's amazing how much less stressful a doctor's waiting room is when you listen to music instead of the inane babble of the television they have blaring.

These inexpensive Audio Technica noise cancelling 'phones aren't remotely in the same league. But they're not quite as oddball sounding as Boss tends to make their products. None of the NC products are going to hold a candle to even the mid-fi Ety range which are designed as best as possible to sound like honest music reproduction.

patpatpatme Aug 29, 2016 5:58 pm

i have sonys that i got from costco, i like them a lot. cheaper than bose and just as good cancelling the noise

bocastephen Aug 30, 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by patpatpatme (Post 27137230)
i have sonys that i got from costco, i like them a lot. cheaper than bose and just as good cancelling the noise

What is the model number?

paperwastage Sep 6, 2016 7:11 pm

I did get a set of Bose QC20

Sick of the Path/subway train (very noisy, compared to subways in asian cities), and my existing sony NC earbuds are isolation-ear-plug style that aren't comfortable (prefer Bose stayhear style)

QC20 is definitely eerily quiet (sometimes too quiet). Walked past an outdoor concert in midtown (one of those GMA/today show ones), they were able to cancel out a lot of noise. didn't test the mike performance though

used velcro to "tape" the battery pack to the back of my phone

with NC turned off, sound still works, but is muddier... probably want to keep NC turned on when I listen to music

synpax Sep 7, 2016 7:01 am

I never much considered NC until I took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon and we were given Bose headsets with mics attached. The difference between having them on and off was eye-opening.

I fly quiet often and occasionally take the subway in Manhattan or work in an area with a noisy air conditioner, and this was about the time the QC35s came out, so I made the investment.

I've been very impressed with them and on flights, they make a remarkable difference to me. The sound is pretty good for listening to music/media, and the mic works well for conversations over the phone.

Having used them, I can't imagine how I could have survived without them on a flight.

And there's something about the design that does allow me to sleep on my side in business class over a pillow -- the padding is so soft I can lay my head sideways without an issue.

My only complaint is the long monologue the system goes through when you start them up and they're searching for all of the paired devices.

Lussac Sep 8, 2016 4:58 am

Anyone got more info. on the release date for the Bose QC30's. I know it was widely published as being September but an email regarding the date has not elicited a response from Bose and an internet search only revealed th initial announcement in June/July.

painintheuk Sep 8, 2016 5:37 am

I love NC headsets, but have always had the 'on-ear' variety. Over-ear are too hot, sweaty and bulky (though I do own a pair), and while I would LOVE to love in-ear, the ones that I have tried (all cheap) make my ears sore after any amount of time.

Are there any that are worth the price risk which are particularly comfortable or good for 'sensitive' ears? They would be WAY easier to carry and (hopefully) walk and run with as well.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

paperwastage Sep 8, 2016 9:36 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk (Post 27182153)
I love NC headsets, but have always had the 'on-ear' variety. Over-ear are too hot, sweaty and bulky (though I do own a pair), and while I would LOVE to love in-ear, the ones that I have tried (all cheap) make my ears sore after any amount of time.

Are there any that are worth the price risk which are particularly comfortable or good for 'sensitive' ears? They would be WAY easier to carry and (hopefully) walk and run with as well.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

have you actually tried the bose stayhear tips (it's used across almost all of bose's line, even non-NC buds like soundsport)

(QC20's version is stayhear+, which includes an additional flap to block more noise,, but it's stilll comfortable)
stayhear+:https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...plus-tips.html
stayhear: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...ips-small.html

you can probably find a demo pair at a local electronics shop

just remember that most NC requires an additional power source(external battery pack) that hangs off the wire.

look at stuff like QC30 (neckband holds the battery pack), or if you have a usb type-C phone/iPhone(lighting connector)
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-...phones-686125/

painintheuk Sep 8, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks - I'll try that when I find a good shop.

Dr. PITUK