Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will I run into problems converting my Google account from Hotmail to GMail?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum

The Google account that I've been using for many years is a Hotmail account, not a GMail account. So I log into all my Google services (Chrome, Drive, Maps, Photos, etc) with the Hotmail account, as well as both of my Android devices (Nexus 6P and Galaxy Tab S2).

I'd like to add a Gmail email address to my account. When I go to GMail it brings me to a "Add Gmail to your Google account" form and it tells me, basically, that the new Gmail address will become the primary sign in for my account, the Hotmail account will be become an alternate email address, and that I'll still be able to sign in with it.

Based on the language it seems like I shouldn't have any problems, but I just want to be 100% clear that nothing is going to break. Specifically I'm concerned about my Android devices, since I originally set them up with my Hotmail account. I don't want to make this switch and then discover that something broke on my phone and the only way to fix it is to do a device reset and set it up again with the new Gmail account.

Oh and shared calendars is also a concern, since I have some calendars that are shared with me using my Hotmail address.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I think it won't be a problem. Im not quite sure what you mean by your hotmail account is a gmail account, but I assume you mean only that you use a Hotmail address to log into gmail. And once you do you see the gmail interface. If all you're doing is getting a gmail address there shouldn't be an issue. I've set up gmail so I can log in with other email addresses I use.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
I think it won't be a problem. Im not quite sure what you mean by your hotmail account is a gmail account, but I assume you mean only that you use a Hotmail address to log into gmail. And once you do you see the gmail interface. If all you're doing is getting a gmail address there shouldn't be an issue. I've set up gmail so I can log in with other email addresses I use.
Thanks. I didn't say my Hotmail account is a gmail account. I said I log into my Google services with a Hotmail address and that I *don't* have a Gmail address. The specific question is to do with once I add Gmail to my Google account and it changes my primary login to my new Gmail address, is it going to screw up anything on my Android phone since it uses my Hotmail account to login to my Google services.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:55 pm

You are using your hotmail email address as your Google login ID (hopefully with a different password than your actual hotmail password).

I don't see why you'd have any issues switching. They even told you that you could continue using your hotmail email address as your google login id after adding a new gmail account to your google accounts.

-David
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JClishe
Thanks. I didn't say my Hotmail account is a gmail account. I said I log into my Google services with a Hotmail address and that I *don't* have a Gmail address. The specific question is to do with once I add Gmail to my Google account and it changes my primary login to my new Gmail address, is it going to screw up anything on my Android phone since it uses my Hotmail account to login to my Google services.
I have multiple emails I can use to log into my gmail/google account, including an old hotmail address, a yahoo address, and my work email address. Here's info:

https://support.google.com/accounts/...ils&hl=en&rd=1

You should be able to continue to log in using your hotmail address, although it should also be easy to change it on your Android phone.

The basic concept is that you have one google account through which you can access various services. Attached to that account you can have multiple different login emails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.