Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bose warranty change?

Bose warranty change?

Old Jan 20, 18, 11:00 am

Programs: PC Platinum
Apparently there was a manufacturing defect in QC25s made up until mid 2015. With some persistence, I was able to get my headphones replaced free of charge. You can find a little discussion on the "ifixit" website: just search for "How to replace broken speaker for QC25 (sorry, I can't post the URL as I have <5 posts here)

My experience with this:

My QC25 stopped working 3 years after purchase date (i.e. out of warranty), with the right-hand speaker not making any sound or noise cancellation. (aside: this is actually my 2nd pair – the first pair broke in a similar fashion after 1 year, and was replaced under warranty).

I called the German Bose phone number and got through tech support. The guy said because it was more than 2 years since purchase, and more than 1 year since the replacement, I was out of luck. But he could offer me to replace them at a special price of €270. I could buy a new pair for €200 online, so this is obviously a pretty bad deal.

I search the web, and found the link above, and called the US Bose customer service who confirmed the defect, but couldn't help me as they only can service customers with a US zip code. I checked the manufacturing date of my headset by removing the right-hand-side ear cushion and peeling back the green "R" foam a bit to reveal a stamp with the day 2015-07.

I called the German Bose tech support again and got a different agent who knew about the manufacturing defect. He took my serial number, address and phone number, and a link to get a UPS label to return my existing headphones, and dispatched a replacement free of charge.

TL;DR: QC25s manufactured up until mid-2015 had a defect that caused one side to go silent. Call customer service, mention this defect, and hope for the best. If they don't help you, keep calling back until someone does :-)
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Sterndogg View Post
I had a pair of QC20i's and last week the right side earbud died in flight and found this thread. Well out of warranty (4 years old) but called BOSE and they offered a brand new replacement for $150 including tax and free shipping (with additional 25% loyalty discount). Considering off the street these things are still running $250 and on eBay can be hit or miss, not too shabby for a non-refurb set and 1 year warranty. Can never hurt to call.
I definitely recommend contacting Bose if you have problems with their items.

I just posed this over in the Omni Anti-Vent thread.

These were for Sound Sport. Not nearly as pricey as QC's, but still enough that I'd want them to last more than a year and a few days...and Bose definitely surprised me with a new replacement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: