Looking Office 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Looking Office 2013

or another more recent version.

I have 2007 (or 2009) on my new computer, which is a registered copy. I purchased via MS customer employee purchase program which was discontinued. I think my husband was able to order a full version of Pro for about $25. Alas, the program has ended.

I have a new Win10 computer and I'd like to upgrade Office as well. If I look on the MS site, all they're offering me is the subscription version of Office 360, which I do not want.

I've looked at Ebay and while I have seen some older version, I'm very skeptical of purchasing from them.

Anyone know where I can get a legitimate older version? I would like it to be the Pro version as well.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can buy Office as a one time purchase too. Here are all the options:

https://products.office.com/en-us/bu...ffice-products

Of course, if you just want to use it for light spreadsheets and word processing, Google's Sheets and Docs are free and mimic Office in 85% of all respects. And you can access your docs from anywhere and any device, as well as share them with others and collaborate in real time.

If you insist on a locally installed program, then you can also check out the free LibreOffice suite, which copies MS Office extensively.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:08 am

The home purchase program normally allows installation on up to 3 computers. If your husband has a more current release (a la 2013 or 2016), you could conceivably install from his distribution on yours as well.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've purchased Office through the MS Home Use program from 2003 up through 2016 a few months ago. I clicked on the link provided and it's still active.

I'd check with both employers first, before concluding that's no longer an option. I know it's not widely communicated where I work.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
At least Libre office doesn't use the ribbon menu system, still drives me mad using it at work.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Office 2016 is being sold $9.95 by some companies for their employees..
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
I've purchased Office through the MS Home Use program from 2003 up through 2016 a few months ago. I clicked on the link provided and it's still active.

I'd check with both employers first, before concluding that's no longer an option. I know it's not widely communicated where I work.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
My husband checked several months ago and was told the program was no longer available.

I'll ask him to check again and give him the link as well.

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Public service announcement:

Downloading and installing uBitMenu
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/
will allow to to be able to have the MS Office 2003 interface without all the crap and bloatware and confusing ribbon.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by satman40
Office 2016 is being sold $9.95 by some companies for their employees..
Originally Posted by Mary2e
My husband checked several months ago and was told the program was no longer available.

I'll ask him to check again and give him the link as well.

Thanks
Just to clarify, and I'm not sure if everyone is understanding this or not, but the ability to utilize the MSFT HUP is individually negotiated by companies as part of their Enterprise Agreement (EA) with MSFT. In other words, your company has to negotiate access to the program on behalf of their employees (and pay MSFT for the privilege)

So, to be clear the program absolutely still exists, it's currently offered by my employer, right now, today. But some companies may not be willing to pay for it, or just don't purchase licenses in a high enough volume, and even companies that have offered it in the past may have decided to drop it when they negotiated/renewed their EA with MSFT. Or they choose to offer less than previously; for example we used to be able to purchase other MSFT apps like Visio and Project, in addition to Office, but those were dropped on our last EA and now we can only purchase Office.

We even occasionally see the program "gap out" and not be available while the new EA is being negotiated, then it returns once the agreement is in force.

Regards
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Of course, if you just want to use it for light spreadsheets and word processing, Google's Sheets and Docs are free and mimic Office in 85% of all respects. And you can access your docs from anywhere and any device, as well as share them with others and collaborate in real time.
This is also true of the free Office Online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint. If you only want to view and edit Office documents in the browser, Office Online would likely be a betters solution because you'll get 100% fidelity with Office files where as Google doesn't always render all parts of Office files correctly.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by scubadu
So, to be clear the program absolutely still exists, it's currently offered by my employer, right now, today. But some companies may not be willing to pay for it, or just don't purchase licenses in a high enough volume, and even companies that have offered it in the past may have decided to drop it when they negotiated/renewed their EA with MSFT.
Yes, exactly.

At the link provided above, you can just type in your work email address and MS will tell you whether you/your compnay qualify or not. That's probably easier than trying to hunt down someone in your company that may or may not know.

(to be super-clear, you need to click on the "Don't know your Program Code? Click Here" link, and then you can enter just your email address)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Wow... I didn't read the webpage carefully and I just typed in my husbands email address and was told he IS eligible.

Thanks for that link
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Wow... I didn't read the webpage carefully and I just typed in my husbands email address and was told he IS eligible.

Thanks for that link
That is great. Make sure to have your husband watch for an email that he will receive that he will need to click on. Then he will need to enter the program code that MSFT provided for your husband's company, so he will still need to track someone down that has that info. Once you input the employer provided program code it will then take you to a page where you can execute the purchase.

Regards
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
That is great. Make sure to have your husband watch for an email that he will receive that he will need to click on. Then he will need to enter the program code that MSFT provided for your husband's company, so he will still need to track someone down that has that info. Once you input the employer provided program code it will then take you to a page where you can execute the purchase.

Regards
Pretty sure you don't need (or even receive) the actual program code if you have a valid company email address. You'll simply get a link to place the purchase, and an emailed receipt with the download links. I walked someone through this recently and it was pretty straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.