FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   AT&T now has free Mexico roaming on shared data plan 15Gb or above (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1770091-t-now-has-free-mexico-roaming-shared-data-plan-15gb-above.html)

Need Jun 3, 2016 4:22 pm

AT&T now has free Mexico roaming on shared data plan 15Gb or above

It used to be they offer 1GB of data and free call/text for mexico roaming but now it has a new plan for using domestic plan in mexico for free. It is funny because 2 guys on the plane was talking about how awesome it is that their Verizon phones has domestic plan for Mexico for $2 a day... so I told them AT&T is free. :p But I wish AT&T will offer $2 a day for the rest of the countries... :(

TWA884 Jun 3, 2016 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 26724934)
But I wish AT&T will offer $2 a day for the rest of the countries... :(

Verizon's TravelPass is $2 a day only in Canada and Mexico, elsewhere it's $10 a day.

PackingIt Jun 3, 2016 10:10 pm

An additional component to this new (free) Mexico roaming add on is that it also includes free calls to Canada from the US.

It used to be they offer 1GB of data and free call/text for mexico roaming but now it has a new plan for using domestic plan in mexico for free. It is funny because 2 guys on the plane was talking about how awesome it is that their Verizon phones has domestic plan for Mexico for $2 a day... so I told them AT&T is free. :p But I wish AT&T will offer $2 a day for the rest of the countries... :(

WIRunner Jun 3, 2016 11:19 pm

T-Mobile is still free for roaming on all post paid plan in Mexico and Canada.

PackingIt Jun 4, 2016 12:29 pm

For the frequent traveler, T-Mobile is likely the better bet. But, at least in my case, coverage at home is the higher priority, and for that AT&T is far better. And since I am sticking with AT&T, I'm stoked that they are offering these better, and free, roaming improvements.

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 26726260)
T-Mobile is still free for roaming on all post paid plan in Mexico and Canada.

IsleOfMan Jun 4, 2016 2:11 pm

For anyone looking for Canada/Mexico roaming (calls, messaging, and data) as well as calls to Canada/Mexico, Cricket offers EXCELLENT value, especially if you prefer the AT&T network for one reason or another. The savings continue to mount as you add more lines, with $10 off the second line, $20 off the third, $30 off the fourth, and so-on cumulatively. Single lines also get a $5/month discount for auto-pay, but the auto-pay discount doesn't combine with the multi-line discounts. The $50/month 5gb "Smart" plan is required for the Canada/Mexico features. You can used locked AT&T phones on Cricket without unlocking, as well as unlocked GSM phones.

I get a $100/month phone allowance from my employer, regardless of the plan/carrier I chose, and that's enough for me, my brother, and my sister in law with me on the 5gb/month "Smart" plan and them on the 2.5gb/month "Basic" plan.

weekilter Jun 5, 2016 8:32 pm

It's amusing that VZW and T always make offers and plans but only after T-Mobile gets there first and not just a one time promotion. Also their offers always tend to be a lot more limiting than T-Mobile's. Yeah sure T-Mobile only offers unlimited 2G data speeds for free but they offered it a good while before VZW and T decided to do something similar. High speed data is available if you want to pay extra for it.

Need Jun 6, 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by weekilter (Post 26734176)
It's amusing that VZW and T always make offers and plans but only after T-Mobile gets there first and not just a one time promotion. Also their offers always tend to be a lot more limiting than T-Mobile's. Yeah sure T-Mobile only offers unlimited 2G data speeds for free but they offered it a good while before VZW and T decided to do something similar. High speed data is available if you want to pay extra for it.

As an AT&T customer, I am cheering for Tmobile to keep offering cheaper and better services. If it were just Verizon and AT&T, they will probably just both keep raising prices and cutting data and laughing at us.

Keep up the good work Tmobile!

IsleOfMan Jun 6, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 26736939)
As an AT&T customer, I am cheering for Tmobile to keep offering cheaper and better services. If it were just Verizon and AT&T, they will probably just both keep raising prices and cutting data and laughing at us.

Keep up the good work Tmobile!

It seems to me that AT&T is mainly competing with Tmobile/MetroPCS/MVNOs and, to a lesser degree, Sprint/Boost/Virgin/MVNOs (both pre- and post-paid) on price through the Cricket sub-brand and still branding its AT&T postpaid as a high-reliability/speed premium services that's a tier better than TMO/Sprint and equivalent to Verizon. This is purely a branding/advertising observation, not saying anything about service/quality/value/etc.

WIRunner Jun 6, 2016 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 26737016)
It seems to me that AT&T is mainly competing with Tmobile/MetroPCS/MVNOs and, to a lesser degree, Sprint/Boost/Virgin/MVNOs (both pre- and post-paid) on price through the Cricket sub-brand and still branding its AT&T postpaid as a high-reliability/speed premium services that's a tier better than TMO/Sprint and equivalent to Verizon. This is purely a branding/advertising observation, not saying anything about service/quality/value/etc.

The interesting thing is that T-Mobile is competing against AT&T, Verizon, and USCC and is using MetroPCS (their prepaid brand) to compete against Sprint.

But hey, I can use my phone in Canada for free, and I get a free pizza every week.

IsleOfMan Jun 6, 2016 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 26737515)
...and I get a free pizza every week.

Wait, what?

WIRunner Jun 6, 2016 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 26737604)
Wait, what?

I GET A FREE PIZZA EVERY WEEK. ;)

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...carrier-11.htm

First off, the Un-carrier’s treating customers to dinner and a movie every week. Which means T-Mobile customers can carry out a FREE medium two-topping Domino’s pizza, FREE small Wendy’s Frosty and FREE movie rental from VUDU, Walmart’s video on-demand service.

IsleOfMan Jun 6, 2016 12:25 pm

Wow, that's pretty much $9/week, $36/month, in value... and a nice stepping stone towards high cholesterol AND diabetes!

WIRunner Jun 6, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan (Post 26737670)
Wow, that's pretty much $9/week, $36/month, in value... and a nice stepping stone towards high cholesterol AND diabetes!

I'm happier about the 60 minute gogo session myself.

IsleOfMan Jun 6, 2016 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner (Post 26737689)
I'm happier about the 60 minute gogo session myself.

Wow, based on the recent GoGo pricing, that's worth like $87/flight!