Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AllDayWifi Turkey

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

AllDayWifi Turkey

Looking at renting one of these for Istanbul.
https://alldaywifi.com

My iPhone is locked to ATT, so a prepaid SIM is pretty much out. I do have an an older unlocked Android I could use, but this just seems eaisier and I can use my iPhone as normal.

Anyone want to comment on this company? Anyone ever used them before?
Old May 1, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Have you checked with ATT about unlocking your iPhone? Otherwise the AllDayWifi looks like a reasonable deal, though I have no experience with them to vouch for.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
My iPhone is locked to ATT, so a prepaid SIM is pretty much out.
Even if your phone was unlocked, prepaid SIMs are pretty much out in Turkey. The Turkish government requires all phones to be "registered" (which, oddly enough, requires a fee to be paid...) or they will be black-listed within Turkey.

You can normally get away with a short period of use before you register and pay the fee (from a few days up to a few weeks), but there's no guarantee how long you'll get, and the fee is high enough that it's not worth paying unless you intend to be in Turkey a long time (or multiple times)
Old May 1, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite+ HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Even if your phone was unlocked, prepaid SIMs are pretty much out in Turkey. The Turkish government requires all phones to be "registered" (which, oddly enough, requires a fee to be paid...) or they will be black-listed within Turkey.

You can normally get away with a short period of use before you register and pay the fee (from a few days up to a few weeks), but there's no guarantee how long you'll get, and the fee is high enough that it's not worth paying unless you intend to be in Turkey a long time (or multiple times)
If you change your phone later, you need to register the new phone again.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by docbert

Does anybody have any updates to this policy, especially after the July 'coup attempt'?

I will be in Istanbul soon for a 7-day stay and wonder if I can buy a prepaid SIM at the airport, which will give me data (wi-fi) access, so that I may use Uber or other similar apps.

Also, which SIM vendor (telecom company) do you recommend at Ataturk airport? May I activate my SIM quick enough to hail an Uber (or similar) before leaving the airport?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:48 pm

Your alldaywifi link has a nice article on this:

https://alldaywifi.com/blog/1-turkis...data-sim-cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.