Wiki Posts
Search

VPN over iPhone Personal Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

VPN over iPhone Personal Hotspot

I use Cisco AnyConnect VPN.

When tethered to my iPhone, my Windows laptop connects to VPN just fine. My Mac laptop appears to connect, but I'm actually cut off from all internet access. Even ping fails -- "no route to host."

I asked our IT helpdesk and they said this was a known issue with iPhones and Macs -- something about DHCP, I don't quite remember -- and they recommended I connect to VPN through a Windows virtual machine.

That solution is too convoluted for me. Does anybody have other ideas?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I can't help, other than saying I can connect to a client VPN using AnyConnect on a Mac. So, I suspect it must be something in the configuration of your company VPN.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I can't help, other than saying I can connect to a client VPN using AnyConnect on a Mac. So, I suspect it must be something in the configuration of your company VPN.
Dumb question but could it come from your being double NATted?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I discovered that connecting to VPN using OpenConnect (free), instead of the official Cisco AnyConnect client, works over iPhone tethering.

Setup of OpenConnect was tricky. If any fellow FTers are in the same predicament as I was, and need help with installing OpenConnect on a Mac, please PM me.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I think it's your AnyConnect config. I hotspot off my iPhone all the time. AnyConnect has never been an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.