2016: New Computer Hardware and Processors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016: New Computer Hardware and Processors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by chx1975
T460p seems to be ... behind. No USB 3.1, no Thunderbolt, nothing modern. Same tired, broken layout, shunned keyboard. Only 3 USB ports anyways, USB-C would've allowed more.
I think you want a consumer machine, not a business one.

I don't know of any of the current-generation professional-line machines that have USB-C or Thunderbolt; some of the mobile workstations do (although Dell's are still "optional, coming soon.")

As for the keyboard, are you saying you want to go back to the older Thinkpad design? If so, other than waiting for the Retro Thinkpad that may or may not ever come, you're kind of out of luck (and ditto the odds of anyone else going back to a traditional full-7-row design are quite low.)

Compared to most of the consumer machines' stripped down keyboards, it's a pretty good one (which is a low bar, I grant.)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
The Lenovo web site still shows "coming soon" without any pricing.
Yeah, butt the Lenovo website was still showing "coming soon" for the P50 after CDW started taking orders, with confirmed pricing.

The Lenovo 2560x1440 WQHD isn't too bad on 14", and while I can't confirm it's availability on the T460p I've heard the rumor from more than one source. I wouldn't personally bother with it (the pricier FHD IPS option was worth it on the T440p, and I'd expect it to the way to go on the T460p as well...)
WQHD is listed as an option right on the Lenovo page I linked to; whether that counts as confirmation or not may still be a question

I'm sure the i7 models will be along shortly; one thing I'm really curious about is whether the Nvidia chip will be obligatory or optional.
None of the models currently shown on PSREF include the nVidia chip, but they're all i5s with FHD displays.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Yeah, butt the Lenovo website was still showing "coming soon" for the P50 after CDW started taking orders, with confirmed pricing.
I thought CDW only does build to order for customers big enough to get a custom SKU?

WQHD is listed as an option right on the Lenovo page I linked to; whether that counts as confirmation or not may still be a question
*lol* I'd expect that to be a confirmation. Shows how much I've read it; I pretty much just look "Orderable? Nope? BBL."

None of the models currently shown on PSREF include the nVidia chip, but they're all i5s with FHD displays.
Based on the early information about the new Nvidia chips in the T-series, the 940MX in the T460p will likely be basically worthless -- too slow (and with no double-precision support) for most professional 3D use, much too slow for gaming, and the regular HD 530 graphics fast enough for everything else.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:49 am

I thought CDW only does build to order for customers big enough to get a custom SKU?
I have no idea; you pointed me at CDW back when I noted that Lenovo was finally showing availability for the P50, indicating that they'd been on CDW for a couple of weeks. That's why I was surprised that you'd believe Lenovo's availability information.

*lol* I'd expect that to be a confirmation. Shows how much I've read it; I pretty much just look "Orderable? Nope? BBL."

Based on the early information about the new Nvidia chips in the T-series, the 940MX in the T460p will likely be basically worthless -- too slow (and with no double-precision support) for most professional 3D use, much too slow for gaming, and the regular HD 530 graphics fast enough for everything else.
That's disappointing
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea; you pointed me at CDW back when I noted that Lenovo was finally showing availability for the P50, indicating that they'd been on CDW for a couple of weeks. That's why I was surprised that you'd believe Lenovo's availability information.
I hadn't checked CDW on the T460p, although I probably should have.

re: lower-end discrete GPUs:
That's disappointing
I think it's more a matter of the integrated GPUs having gotten that good than that the discrete ones are bad.

As I said (not sure whether is ended up in this thread or the other one) I am really pretty psyched for the Iris Pro 580 iGPUs. They should be competitive with midrange discrete units, and fit into machines with a very reasonable thermal envelope and battery life.

I don't yet know if that will include any of the mainstream business models, but I'm hoping...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
If so, other than waiting for the Retro Thinkpad that may or may not ever come
2017, David Hill said so in a recent interview. I am waiting patiently with my T420. (Of which I have two, one brand new, in case one breaks.)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
2017, David Hill said so in a recent interview. I am waiting patiently with my T420. (Of which I have two, one brand new, in case one breaks.)
Quite a lot can happen what is, in this industry, a full generation out. I hope it actually materializes, as well.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:59 am

I hadn't checked CDW on the T460p, although I probably should have.
FYI, detailed platform spec sheet for the T460P is now available on PSREF.

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; Feb 17, 2016 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting that. Looks, if I can tell correctly, like it's (like the Dells) either M.2 or 2.5", not both as with the T440p.

Also, the base screen is IPS, which is nice. A bit sad there isn't an Iris Pro option, but not surprised -- I suspect that is mostly going to be on consumer-market machines.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:19 am

Thanks for posting that. Looks, if I can tell correctly, like it's (like the Dells) either M.2 or 2.5", not both as with the T440p.

Also, the base screen is IPS, which is nice. A bit sad there isn't an Iris Pro option, but not surprised -- I suspect that is mostly going to be on consumer-market machines.
With SSDs and M.2 storage approaching "ludicrous capacity" I think this platform ticks all of the boxes on my list.

I'm hoping the i7 models with WQHD displays aren't too far out (and that the 135w power brick isn't too massive, since I expect that'll be what's shipped with them).
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I got a XPS15 with i7 quad core Skylake, 16GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB SSD. Immediately upgraded it to 32GB. Ran it for the first time with a sizeable data reduction task this week and it chomped through it. Didn't even have enough time to make a coffee, whereas my old laptop (single core i5, 4GB DDR3 RAM) would have probably crashed about five times an hour and sometimes took 16 hours to run the same datasets. I'm not super-techy like some of you guys but I know an improvement when I see one!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Of course, it's the T460p, not the T60p.

I had a T60p. Wonderful machine. Wouldn't go back to it if you paid me.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by roberino
I got a XPS15 with i7 quad core Skylake, 16GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB SSD. Immediately upgraded it to 32GB. Ran it for the first time with a sizeable data reduction task this week and it chomped through it. Didn't even have enough time to make a coffee, whereas my old laptop (single core i5, 4GB DDR3 RAM) would have probably crashed about five times an hour and sometimes took 16 hours to run the same datasets. I'm not super-techy like some of you guys but I know an improvement when I see one!
Single Core i5? What CPU would that be?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Of course, it's the T460p, not the T60p.

I had a T60p. Wonderful machine. Wouldn't go back to it if you paid me.
LOL, yes it is. Sorry for the typo. Fixed
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With SSDs and M.2 storage approaching "ludicrous capacity" I think this platform ticks all of the boxes on my list.
I'm not sure 1TB is "ludicrous capacity" and 1TB in M.2 isn't available at retail yet, just at very high cost through OEMs. Seeing as I'm running 2x 1TB now, I don't love having to buy a 2TB 2.5" disk with any of the new systems I'm looking at (except big workstation class ones) but none of the models I'm looking at (and I've given up on the P50 or Dell M7510 on cost grounds) take both an M.2 + a 2.5" drive.

I'm hoping the i7 models with WQHD displays aren't too far out (and that the 135w power brick isn't too massive, since I expect that'll be what's shipped with them).
I'd expect it to be 90W with no discrete GPU, and 135W with a dGPU -- the comparable Dell model can run on 65W with no dGPU. I've already weighed in on my opinion of the value of the 940MX although with no Iris Pro 580 option, it may still be enough better than the HD 530 for some users' needs.

Personally, if I get it, it will still be iGPU-only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.