Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

TwelveSouth PlugBug World Charger

Old Feb 5, 16, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Silver, Finnair Gold, DL Silver Medallion

First of all I apologize if a thread like this already exists.

So, I just ordered the PlugBug World charger. If you have this device, comment below your thoughts on it. I travel frequently with my MacBookAir, iPhone 6S Plus and my iPad Air 2. I also have the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit. My first impression is that it will save space and extra adapters. When I receive it I will only need two charging devices instead of three.
Old Feb 5, 16, 8:16 am

I don't get it. It still requires your regular MacBook charger?

So it adds a USB and some tips? I guess I don't really see the value. Tips are cheap and small and a USB for your iPhone and your iPad is already on most MacBooks. That's how I go.
Old Feb 8, 16, 10:17 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
I have a plug-bug, but I found it made the charger too long to fit into many spots so ditched it in favour of a Y cable to go into my macbook charger, and into an Anker 5 port.

I got a regular multi-adapter for the different mains power points, and then spliced together a few of the two-pin mains connectors into a Y-cable (mine has 3 connectors coming off it)

I use one with 3 two pin ends to charge my macbook (it plugs in when you pull out the mac chargers power plug end), my Anker 5 USB port charger, and a li-po battery charger I use for multirotor batteries.

http://www.welleen.com/index.php?_m=...view&p_id=1076

I also carry a 6 inch 2 pin mains cable like the above.

Most trips I use one of those small mesh UA amenity kit bags (http://traveling.to/wp-content/uploa...1/IMG_4001.jpg) and that fits the Anker 5-port, Macbook charger, 6 inch mains adapter and a few USB cables.

The plugbug wouldn't fit in that, it would only fit in the larger amenity bags - so I found that it was more versatile to use the Y-cable option.
Old Feb 9, 16, 12:54 am

I have also found that the plugbug makes the adapter too tall for many outlets, especially those that swivel up from the desk. I also feel much less comfortable with horizontally mounted outlets. The additional weight of the plugbug plus the increased distance of the mass of the adapter from the plug puts a lot of strain on the prongs when in a horizontal position.

I still bring it with me on trips but that's merely because I already own it. I would not purchase it again. I'd opt for a standalone charger so I can keep that near the bedside table rather than the desk.

Search this Thread