Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

how come only European & Asian airlines let you talk on your own GSM phone on planes?

how come only European & Asian airlines let you talk on your own GSM phone on planes?

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by stimpy
iMessage and WhatsApp are IM applications that run over the Internet. SMS is a service that uses public telephone network signaling and has nothing to do with the Internet. Apparently both are allowed on cell phone equipped flights. And some airlines limit or try to limit cellular or Internet voice calls, while other airlines allow it.
Verizon Message+ sends and receives SMS messages over cellular connection or WiFi. I am able to exchange text messages with anyone on any mobile network using their device' regular messaging app even when my phone is in airplane mode (with WiFi on).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Latest info: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/B...ng-Bill-136253

(Discussion on privatizing the FAA is probably best left for Omni-PR)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

iMessage and WhatsApp are IM applications that run over the Internet. SMS is a service that uses public telephone network signaling and has nothing to do with the Internet. Apparently both are allowed on cell phone equipped flights. And some airlines limit or try to limit cellular or Internet voice calls, while other airlines allow it.
Originally Posted by TWA884
Verizon Message+ sends and receives SMS messages over cellular connection or WiFi. I am able to exchange text messages with anyone on any mobile network using their device' regular messaging app even when my phone is in airplane mode (with WiFi on).
Yes, you're both right. Verizon's Messages app is a special case where they apparently encapsulate the data that traditionally go over the cellular network into IP.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yes, you're both right. Verizon's Messages app is a special case where they apparently encapsulate the data that traditionally go over the cellular network into IP.
Except that Verizon's Message+ when sending over Wifi/IP is not actually SMS. It is IM. SMS is actually a protocol that cannot be run over IP. You can receive an SMS message and re-encapsulate it into an IP-based IM, but at that point it is no longer SMS. Strictly speaking of course.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except that Verizon's Message+ when sending over Wifi/IP is not actually SMS. It is IM. SMS is actually a protocol that cannot be run over IP. You can receive an SMS message and re-encapsulate it into an IP-based IM, but at that point it is no longer SMS. Strictly speaking of course.
I need a "splitting hairs" gif...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I need a "splitting hairs" gif...
That's what us folk in the networking standards business do for a living.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It can also send as an IP-based IM and be received by the other party as an SMS message.

What matters to me is that it works on my phone, computer or tablet, whether I have a cellular signal or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.