Wiki Posts
Search

'Slipgate'? Apple Watch Milanese Loop band constantly slips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
'Slipgate'? Apple Watch Milanese Loop band constantly slips

Much like various posts on the Apple forum, my original 42 mm Milanese Loop band constantly slips to the point that I routinely (i.e. once an hour or more frequently) had to tighten the band and often had to enter my passcode (4 times a day). I am not willing to remove the passcode since I use Apple Pay on my watch (and e-boarding passes, et al).

Having purchased the watch from Best Buy, I sought their advice but they did nothing for me. I called Apple and they made an appointment for an in-store tech. The Apple tech replaced my original band with a new band yesterday. At this point, the new Milanese Loop band is not slipping at least to the degree that I have to enter my passcode other than when I first put on the watch in the morning.

This episode makes me wonder, however, if we are not seeing design flaw, hence 'Slipgate'. Is it not just a matter of 'time' before the next band will also slip?

I asked the Apple tech yesterday if a non-Apple band would void the warranty on the watch. I was told yes on the Apple forum and by an Apple phone agent. However, the in-store tech said third-party bands would void the warranty only if the alternate band causes damage to the watch. He said that various ones in that Apple store wear alternative bands which I already knew from a previous visit when an Apple store clerk took me to the Amazon web to show me the kinds of bands she uses on her watch.

I did buy (Amazon/Teslasz $100 {
Amazon.com: Apple Watch Band,Teslasz® 42 mm Stainless Steel Replacement Smart Watch Band Link Bracelet with Double Button Folding Clasp for 42 mm Apple Watch All Models (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Apple Watch Band,Teslasz® 42 mm Stainless Steel Replacement Smart Watch Band Link Bracelet with Double Button Folding Clasp for 42 mm Apple Watch All Models (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
age_o01_s00}rather than $549 for the Apple branded-version) a stainless-steel black plated bracelet for my watch. I am trying to decide whether to keep it because the two days I used it there were no problems with having to re-enter my passcode. One problem, however, is that it does not look as nice at the mesh Apple Milanese Loop, as my wife thinks it looks like plastic. Another issue is that it does not slide in and out of the Apple Watch as easily as the Apple branded bands and I do not know how to judge if it will damage the watch in any way.

Any Apple Watch users have insight on my options? I am thinking of going with the space-black link bracelet {http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/...A&step=detail# }when the Apple Watch 2 comes out, hopefully this year (June?), but neither BB nor Apple had such a bracelet that I could try on.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Very strange - I have two Apple watches with two Milanese (is that even a real word?) and haven't had them slip at all.

I find myself adjusting them just slightly throughout the day but I usually write that off as just my wrist expanding and contracting although I'm not playing racquetball with them either. Even when using one of the leather bands (I swap around every few days) I find myself adjusting it a little bit during the day, usually making it slightly more loose.

Not disputing your experience, but any chance it's just daily adjustments? You put it on after a hot shower and then after you cool down it's loose?

The people in the Apple Stores have always been fantastic. Every time I've had to go in I walk in dreading the experience and walk out swearing allegiance. It's great that it doesn't matter where you bought it, if it's an Apple device you can bring it right to their retail stores for service or help, I don't think there are too many places that do that.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

I see that you do make adjustments during the day with the Milanese Loop band which is what I reported. However, I had to adjust the original band on average at least once an hour.

With the original band, I would have to enter my passcode about 4 times a day. With the new band, I made it until about 9 am this morning when I finally had to enter the passcode (shower at 5am, office at 6 am).

I am not athletic as my major event of each day is walking my dog. The majority of my day is spent behind a computer doing research and some writing.

I know that my wrist expanding and contracting could be a factor but I had no passcode issues when using the link bracelet. I am not interested in the leather strap or the leather with a magnet by Apple.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
They slipping is why I returned mine. Ended up with the link.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
They slipping is why I returned mine. Ended up with the link.
Thanks for this feedback. It is too late to return my watch so I will want for Watch2 to upgrade my band.

I may use a non-Apple watch link band although if I could match Target's price on the black link bracelet I would likely get it (i.e. stores only and not in stores near me).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Xeno
Thanks for this feedback. It is too late to return my watch so I will want for Watch2 to upgrade my band.

I may use a non-Apple watch link band although if I could match Target's price on the black link bracelet I would likely get it (i.e. stores only and not in stores near me).
Now you are going to have me paranoid and what I never noticed before is going to drive me crazy now.

Check Amazon for bands too, lots on there. I have large wrists so when I buy blindly I almost always lose but at least you can sift through the reviews if you don't want to pay the Apple premium.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:56 pm

Apple Watch Milanese Loop band loosens

I bought an Apple Watch with a Milanese Loop band. The band loosens and slides up my wrist after I move my hand and wrist a few times. It soon becomes loose and slides around my wrist. I took it back to the Apple store and after stating the situation was told that there was nothing they could do to help me. I am tempted to take Apple to small claims court to embarrass Apple into addressing the problem.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You're putting it on your wrist wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Al Smith
I bought an Apple Watch with a Milanese Loop band. The band loosens and slides up my wrist after I move my hand and wrist a few times. It soon becomes loose and slides around my wrist. I took it back to the Apple store and after stating the situation was told that there was nothing they could do to help me. I am tempted to take Apple to small claims court to embarrass Apple into addressing the problem.
Welcome to FT!

Cool story, but can you take off the bolding please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.