Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I take a laptop and my iPad.

Laptop is for offloading my RAW files from my DSLR every day. It's an HP laptop now with Windows 10. Don't like it for surfing that much so I leave it plugged in near an outlet, usually on the desk if the hotel room has one.

I will also occasionally watch TV shows and movies if I have some down time on it, and I take an HDMI cable, if it's easy enough to connect the hotel room TV to it.

The iPad has been used usually with a local SIM for Internet, both away and sometimes in the hotel room (where often the Wifi is poor). And of course, it's much more comfortable to be able to use the iPad instead of the laptop, such as in bed or on a chair so I tend to use it more for email and surfing. I also have the Tivo app. installed which lets me stream or download shows from my DVR back home. It's been great for catching up on shows while I'm on the flight back home.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I take my laptop to do PowerPoint presentations. I also carry a Ipad to do face time or Skype. I also carry a nook for reading. I know I am kind of a weird duck, but I like it better than the Ipad.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I take a laptop to do some specialized work that is much easier with a mouse and keyboard.

I take a Republic Wireless smartphone for voice, text and most emails.

On international trips I also take an iPad Mini with T-Mobile SIM and Simple Choice plan, for "free" internet internationally.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for the "free" international roaming data for my iPhone. Now I can text for free and call for 20 cents a minute.

I did also have just the iPad SIM from T-Mobile.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I always travel with my laptop. I also have an iphone with many apps on it

I do have an ipad too which i don't use as much

I am undecided as to whether i need to bring my ipad with me as well. I'm thinking it might be useful to store all my electronic documents like hotel check in info etc and i can easily show people than on my phone

Does anyone here travel with both a laptop and a tablet ? and what do you use each for specifically ?

thanks
I travel with a 2015 12" MacBook and a 2015 iPad Air II along with my iPhone 6 of course.

I don't use the notebook on planes, ever. The iPad is perfect for tray tables, fitting into the seatback storage flap, and has fantastic battery life that can last me a whole flight from NYC to Hong Kong. TV Shows, Movies, Gaming, the iPad is the best airline companion whereas a notebook is difficult to manage.

Once on the ground, I use the notebook 90% of the time and it's for emails, Skype, and browsing, I use my SlingBox back home through the HDMI of the MacBook into the hotel LCD to watch HDTV from home or iTunes or HBO Go on occasion. The iPad only comes out of the room safe when I'm in bed and can't sleep, need a game to play or a quick YouTube video to get me tired. It's barely used on dry land.

So that's it for me. iPad for the plane, MacBook for everything else.

BJ
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:47 am

Depends on the trip.

Phone is a must of course, providing easy mobile connectivity and when I'm too lazy/it's impractical to carry the DSLR.
Currently using a Galaxy Note because of its battery life. While it typically lasts me the day at home, it's still a struggle when traveling, even with a battery pack.

Smaller tablet is used when out and about during the day or in transit when a larger screen is handier for reading (travel notes or travel guides) or watching movies. I typically want to try to save the battery life of the phone and sometimes it's not practical to whip out the laptop.

Laptop is mainly used at the hotel/homebase to consolidate more detailed travel notes, pictures from the DSLR, etc. I also find it easier to research/book a hotel, flight, restaurant, whatever on the laptop with a bunch of different browser windows open at the same time and jumping back forth between them.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've waffled back and forth and back again MANY times on this issue. I'll always carry a smartphone in the 4.7-5.2" range, so that will go without saying. With the intro of the first-gen iPad I became a laptop+tablet person. From there I switched to a string of 10" Android tablets that served well, but still required use of a laptop for "real work" (macro heave Excel sheets, at the time).

I then upgraded to a Transformer Android tablet with keyboard dock that let me be relatively productive but the macro-heavy excel sheets still required me to haul the laptop unless it was a short trip and I knew I wouldn't need them.

A new job requiring only email and basic word/excel/ppt allowed me to drop the laptop all together and transition to a hybrid laptop/tablet as a single device (they issued me a 12" ultra book which, until recently, stayed docked at home). I went through three of these (Asus T100TA, Surface Pro, and back to an Asus T100TAM), all of which were perfectly capable of doing everything I needed but slightly lacking in consumption-oriented apps compared to Android.

I sold the last T100TAM with intentions of upgrading to its successor, the T100HA and then put those plans on hold based on another anticipated job change just to see what device my new employer issues me. Right now, for travel that's 100% personal I'm taking just a small/cheap 8" Windows Tablet and for longer/work trips I'm taking that tablet along with my 12" Windows Ultrabook. It's not my favorite combo as I prefer a single device, but it works well and it's what I have on hand until I get something new (likely a T100HA, possibly a Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3/4).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
What I find interesting about this thread is thinking back to Tim Cooks comment "why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would buy one?"

Uhh sorry Tim, seems like pretty much everyone needs one. And I don't think I've seen a single iPad Pro mentioned here.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JClishe
What I find interesting about this thread is thinking back to Tim Cooks comment "why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would buy one?"

Uhh sorry Tim, seems like pretty much everyone needs one. And I don't think I've seen a single iPad Pro mentioned here.
Keep in mind, the VAST majority of people posting here are those who, in some form or fashion, travel for work/business and, as such, are working while traveling. I know on my personal/leisure travel I can 100% make due with JUST a tablet, and realistically even with just my smartphone (though it makes for a small screen for movies on a plane and added use can be a big hit to battery life).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I travel with a Macbook Retina Pro (Moving to an air next refresh), an iPad Air 2, and an iPhone 6s.

The iPad is for entertainment on planes, in hotel bars, etc. The MBP is for work, email etc.

Regarding the iPad Pro, my wife has one now so I've had a chance to play with it a lot. The screen is lovely, but the size is just a bit too big. It's perfect for her primary usage which is sheet music (She's a piccoloist). The forscore app is truly magnificent at handling all of her music. The larger size means she can see an entire page at once on the music stand, or rotate it zoomed in. In case anyone's interested she also has foot peddles to move between pages.

I don't think anyone really needs a PC anymore, but that doesn't mean they don't need a Mac.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
I always travel with my MacBook Pro (13 inch), iPad Air 2, and iPhone 6 Plus.

Last edited by fabulousflygirl; Jan 9, 2016 at 12:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by JClishe

Well when they effectively stop making them and only make tablets then he might believe what he is saying too.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:25 pm

Samsung just announced an interesting Surface competitor:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/news/

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Jan 9, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I used to travel with a netbook, an iPad and an iPhone. Now I'm down to an iPad and an iPhone. Next trip I'm going to attempt iPhone only.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:32 pm

work laptop, surface pro 3 for personal use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.