Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

IF i could afford a surface pro 4 right now, i'm sure that would do the trick

I do like the ipad for reading ebooks
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

• Surface Book
  • Pixel C
  • Samsung Tab S2 (for its 4G built in)

The combination makes for a good setup. I use my Surface Book for "real" work, the Pixel for quick and dirty content edits, and the Tab S2 for movies.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Macbook Air 13
iPhone 6
Apple Watch
iPad Air 2

Macbook is for work, phone is for phone/apps, iPad is mostly for entertainment on long flights (battery lasts forever) watching movies or stuff I've sync'ed or reading via the Amazon app.

I have the new Macbook 12 too but the lack of USB connections keeps it an at-home machine for now until I can wrap my ahead around it.

The iPad Air 2 is slim and light enough that I hardly notice it in my bag during transit and makes for a good browsing tool in the hotel room. It's also a little easier for watching movies than the laptop, I can manage a food tray with it still being propped up, the laptop is a lot harder to position while eating or flying in economy with limited space.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
[LIST][*]Surface Book
How are you finding the SB? Would you reco it?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14" laptop
iPad w/ Verizon hotspot
iPhone 6 w/ Verizon hotspot

Our corporate phones only recently added the hotspot, so I might ditch the iPad for some trips.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by Dugernaut
14" laptop
iPad w/ Verizon hotspot
iPhone 6 w/ Verizon hotspot

Our corporate phones only recently added the hotspot, so I might ditch the iPad for some trips.

I bring pretty much the same:
14" laptop
iPad mini
iPhone 6
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How are you finding the SB? Would you reco it?
It takes some getting used to, and it has a few of the quirks from my Surface Pro 4, but on the whole, it is one of the best machines I've ever used.

The unlocking mechanism only works when the machine is on, so it is a pain to just grab the tablet. I've also had a few occasions where docking or undocking locked things up. I got the i7/16GB/512GB version, and despite the specs, battery life has been fantastic.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
It takes some getting used to, and it has a few of the quirks from my Surface Pro 4, but on the whole, it is one of the best machines I've ever used.

The unlocking mechanism only works when the machine is on, so it is a pain to just grab the tablet. I've also had a few occasions where docking or undocking locked things up. I got the i7/16GB/512GB version, and despite the specs, battery life has been fantastic.
I assume your comment regarding battery life is with the base attached? I read online that the battery life with just using the tablet is poor?

I'm glad that you found it as an awesome machine! The two main things putting me off with said device is the screen wobbliness and the lack of a trackpoint.

I have to wean myself off of Lenovo one day
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I travel with a MacBook Air and an iPad air.

I prefer to use the iPad for reading NY Times and watching movies/TV. It had a much longer battery than the MacBook.

Anything require keyboarding though I use the laptop.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Depends on the length of the trip ...
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Macbook Air
iPad mini with LTE
iPhone 6+

Air is for work-related stuff and the odd online resource that's either not tablet compatible or just a sucky tablet experience. I usually get a sim card for the iPad and carry that with me to access maps etc during my day. If I'm in a country for a week or more I'll get a sim for my iPhone as well.

My iPad was gifted to the other half, since it was collecting dust. Mini is perfect size for me.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Lenovo X230
Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet 10" (Windows 10)
HTC One M7

The tablet basically serves a single purpose - watching movies on flights. The built-in stand is brilliant and far better than trying to watch movies using a laptop. It also clips nicely into the back of the new United slim-line seats so you can watch it with the tray-table up!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I watch movies on my laptop because i have three spare batteries for it. Overall i have almost 20 hours of battery life

Do you guys use power bricks with your ipad ?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Peterpack
Does anyone here travel with both a laptop and a tablet ? and what do you use each for specifically ?
I almost always do; the tablet* is pretty much a dedicated document reader, and I sometimes use it to watch movies if I'm in coach and only have my main laptop with me (as it's too big for coach) ... while the laptop does pretty much everything. I also use it to watch TV episodes at the gym, but that's not really a travel use.

On occasion, I travel with both my little spare laptop (a dockable 2-in-1; Dell Venue 11 7130) and my main 15" model (the Dell M3800, design wise a clone of the Macbook Pro 15".) More usually, I just bring one or the other -- the 2-in-1 for short domestic trips, the big one for anything beyond a couple days.

The 15" is probably getting upgraded soon; TBD whether that's for an equally powerful 14" business model, or a more powerful 15" or 17" workstation model.

(* usually a 10" Android model -- previously a Galaxy TabPro 10.1 but since that died I've got a much cheaper ASUS ZenTab 10 that does everything I need it to and cost less than the repairs to the TabPro were going to cost. I have an 8" Galaxy Tab 3 -- running CyanogenMod -- which I use a lot day to day around home as it fits in my front pocket along with my phne but don't usually travel with it.)

Originally Posted by timfountain
For instance my 'tablet' is a Dell Venue 11 7140 with 8GB of RAM, 512GB M2.SATA, Intel Core M 5Y71, 10.8" 1080p screen, WIFI 802.11 AC, BT 4.0, USB 3.0, HDMI, Windows 10 Enterprise and a removable keyboard. Oh, and >12 hours battery life. It's all I need and plenty fast enough (comparable to my older Dell 6230 3rd gen Core i5) and is small enough to use in Y without invading my seatmates space.
I've got the prior generation one (7130, i5-4300Y) and I'd call it a 2-in-1 laptop, not primarily a tablet; I think yours may be a little lighter but since they use the same keyboard attachment it can't be too much thinner.

And while it's a bit quicker than mine, it IS still from a CPU benchmark perspective a good step backwards from a full-powered i5 as found in the 6230:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...0M+%40+2.60GHz
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....20GHz&id=2465
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu....60GHz&id=2089
(FWIW, that same i5 E6230 was my prior travel machine.)

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Not sure the Surface Pro runs an OS that I'd want to use.
Can't speak to the SP4, but the SP3 runs fine for some friends at a prior employer with Windows 7.

Originally Posted by Peterpack
I watch movies on my laptop because i have three spare batteries for it. Overall i have almost 20 hours of battery life
A lot of newer machines require unscrewing (or worse, in the case of Apple) to swap a battery. OTOH, an awful lot of planes have either AC or DC power in the seat these days...

Do you guys use power bricks with your ipad ?
My tablets can make through two to three movies with power to spare which is basically enough to go transcon, and anything overseas I'm likely to be sleeping through most of it and just watching things on the tablet during the first and last couple hours at most.

That said, I do tend to keep a USB charger accessible both for my phone and my tablet. I've accumulated a number of fairly nice small 2A Samsung and other-branded chargers which work with any of my Android devices, and the slightly larger charger from my Dell 2-in-1 does work with regular USB devices.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two 15" macbook pros (one work, one personal) - actual work where I need to interact with software and produce something (e.g. generate presentations, reports, papers, procedures; write code; remote control computers; occasionally even data acquisition; keeps many years of background docs instantly available)

Ipad or Kindle Fire (original) - mostly for reading on the plane. I bring the Ipad if I want to do some minor document editing, too, or if I need it for one-on-one presentations where I want to show videos.

iphone and Galaxy S3 - personal and work phones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.