FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Hoa do you get around 2-step authentication in place with no cellphone signal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1731392-hoa-do-you-get-around-2-step-authentication-place-no-cellphone-signal.html)

weltfrieden Dec 13, 2015 9:55 am

Hoa do you get around 2-step authentication in place with no cellphone signal?

how do you get around Gmail 2-step authentication in place with no cellphone signal? (or when traveling overseas without turning roaming on.... or simply forgot to bring the phone)

Not just Gmail... basically any website that requires 2-step authentication. I try to enable it wherever it's available... but then I was in upstate NY a few days ago and there was no cellphone signal at the place I was staying at. The nearest place with any signal from Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile was almost 20 miles away. They did have wifi. However, I was not able to log into my Gmail and Amazon because I had turned on 2-step authentication...

is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!

superangrypenguin Dec 13, 2015 10:07 am

I don't use Gmail, but I do have 2 step auth at work.

Wifi would work, would it not?

weltfrieden Dec 13, 2015 10:14 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 25857125)
I don't use Gmail, but I do have 2 step auth at work.

Wifi would work, would it not?

yes, wifi works, but without any cellphone signal on my Verizon and AT&T phones, I couldn't do the 2-step. :( I had cleared the browsing history on my laptop the day before, so when I connected to the hotel's wifi, Gmail asked me to verify by typing in the code that I get via SMS. I ended up driving the 20 miles until I was able to pick up 1 bar of Verizon signal and received the SMS. I used hotspot on my phone and typed the code into my laptop. Then drove the 20 miles back to the hotel. :D

superangrypenguin Dec 13, 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by weltfrieden (Post 25857155)
yes, wifi works, but without any cellphone signal on my Verizon and AT&T phones, I couldn't do the 2-step. :( I had cleared the browsing history on my laptop the day before, so when I connected to the hotel's wifi, Gmail asked me to verify by typing in the code that I get via SMS. I ended up driving the 20 miles until I was able to pick up 1 bar of Verizon signal and received the SMS. I used hotspot on my phone and typed the code into my laptop. Then drove the 20 miles back to the hotel. :D

Oh wow. Ok I see what you mean now. That makes sense, At work, the two step auth doesn't require SMS, just data.

Man 20 miles. Go Gmail! :rolleyes:

weltfrieden Dec 13, 2015 10:27 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 25857183)
Oh wow. Ok I see what you mean now. That makes sense, At work, the two step auth doesn't require SMS, just data.

Man 20 miles. Go Gmail! :rolleyes:

well.. not only Gmail.. I also have 2-step authentication on my Amazon acct and I needed it even more that day. :D

I can't believe there still so many places in the US that have zero cellphone signal from the big three cellphone carriers. :( I guess I should get a satellite phone. :)

ajGoes Dec 13, 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by weltfrieden (Post 25857069)
how do you get around Gmail 2-step authentication in place with no cellphone signal? (or when traveling overseas without turning roaming on.... or simply forgot to bring the phone)

Not just Gmail... basically any website that requires 2-step authentication. I try to enable it wherever it's available... but then I was in upstate NY a few days ago and there was no cellphone signal at the place I was staying at. The nearest place with any signal from Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile was almost 20 miles away. They did have wifi. However, I was not able to log into my Gmail and Amazon because I had turned on 2-step authentication...

is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Two-factor authentication designers anticipated your problem. You can download a variety of authenticator apps which can generate the code you need.

weltfrieden Dec 13, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes (Post 25857276)
Two-factor authentication designers anticipated your problem. You can download a variety of authenticator apps which can generate the code you need.

cool... I'll try that app. however, it doesn't help if I simply forget to bring my smartphone. :(

goodeats21 Dec 13, 2015 11:44 am

It has been awhile since I last looked into it, but there was a method to generate a certain number of codes ahead of time which could be used when you do not have access to the authentication device.

I used it some time ago when I was going to be overseas and wanted someone back in the USA to be able to access the account, if needed.

jmastron Dec 13, 2015 12:08 pm

For Google specifically, you can use:

1) SMS

2) The Google Authenticator app, which doesn't even require the phone to have a WiFi connection (it continually shows a changing code that you enter on the site to log in).

3) Printed codes -- you can print a sheet of 10 one-time codes to use as emergency backup (phone lost, etc). Obviously you have to ensure physical security of that sheet. I might copy 2 or 3 of these into a discreet place in your wallet, and leave the rest someplace secure that someone you know could get for you in a true emergency.

gfunkdave Dec 13, 2015 12:10 pm

With Gmail you can generate 10 one-time-use codes, which you can use to get back into your account if you can't use your normal authentication option. I use the Google Authenticator app, which generates codes without need for a data connection and is supported by a variety of websites - not just Google. Microsoft has a similar app that does the same thing and uses the same algorithms (it's a standard). I'm pretty sure the sms auth does the same thing and just texts you the code.

In any case, the short version is to go to Google's handy short URL: http://g.co/2sv

The longer version is:

1. Go to accounts.google.com
2. Click Sign-In and Security
3. Click Signing in to Google on the left
4. Click 2-step verification
5. Scroll down to the Backup Codes section and click the Show Backup Codes button.

MAN Pax Dec 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Or get a FIDO USB Key

WIRunner Dec 13, 2015 6:19 pm

I've used the google authenticator before, but since wifi calling has been a thing, this hasn't been an issue.

This may be an option for you depending on what device you have with AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint; nearly all t-mobile phones have it.

paperwastage Dec 14, 2015 6:31 am

doesn't Verizon have that "Verizon Messaging" app that allows you to see the sms sent to your phone number. should be usable on wifi...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.vzmsgs&hl=en

(sprint/tmobile/att has wifi calling/texting on certain phones. Republic Wireless/Project Fi phones should have wifi-calling/texting functioanlity builtin)

LIH Prem Dec 14, 2015 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jmastron (Post 25857527)
For Google specifically, you can use:

1) SMS

2) The Google Authenticator app, which doesn't even require the phone to have a WiFi connection (it continually shows a changing code that you enter on the site to log in).

3) Printed codes -- you can print a sheet of 10 one-time codes to use as emergency backup (phone lost, etc). Obviously you have to ensure physical security of that sheet. I might copy 2 or 3 of these into a discreet place in your wallet, and leave the rest someplace secure that someone you know could get for you in a true emergency.

Originally Posted by MAN Pax (Post 25857885)
Or get a FIDO USB Key

As noted, it also works with a usb key.

http://lifehacker.com/google-adds-us...ion-1648859375

The authenticator algorithm is also built into the 1password app now (field type "One Time Password".) If you use 1password you don't even need the separate google authenticator app anymore, though I'd keep it as a backup.

-David

dtsm Dec 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 25862118)
The authenticator algorithm is also built into the 1password app now (field type "One Time Password".) If you use 1password you don't even need the separate google authenticator app anymore, though I'd keep it as a backup.

-David

Can you elaborate how this works? Thanks!