Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bukzin
Is theVerizon Message+ app still useful while international?

Will it work on local wifi if I dont have a data plan?

Thx
In my experience, Message+ works on any WiFi connection in the US and abroad, even while in airplane mode and connected to GoGo or similar in flight WiFi services; I've sent and received text messages at 30,000 above the Atlantic Ocean.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
In my experience, Message+ works on any WiFi connection in the US and abroad.
It does. We use it whenever overseas. It’s buggy but I have yet to find anything better. Last year we spent a month in Europe and only turned on cell service maybe 3 or 4 times.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Apparently they did it without comment a few weeks ago. And they implemented a cap of 512 MB/day for high speed data before you get throttled.

Verizon travel pass price increases
Verizon Wireless Changes International TravelPass. With A Sledgehammer - Pizza In Motion
The old travel pass was seamless and only recently did I discover they throttle at 500mb. I am furious! I was and always have been told I can use my US phone exactly like I do in the US. The last few trips, I have noticed a great deal of slowing down, pages not loading. I was told I can use EXACTLY as I do in the US up to my date limit on my plan. I just called Verizon today b/c it is so frustrating and that is when i was told about the 500 mb limit. I asked for exec resolutions b/c I have spent countelss time on the phone wiht tech support with this issue of slow web pages. No one told me it is b/c it is throttled.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sparksals
The old travel pass was seamless and only recently did I discover they throttle at 500mb. I am furious! I was and always have been told I can use my US phone exactly like I do in the US. The last few trips, I have noticed a great deal of slowing down, pages not loading. I was told I can use EXACTLY as I do in the US up to my date limit on my plan. I just called Verizon today b/c it is so frustrating and that is when i was told about the 500 mb limit. I asked for exec resolutions b/c I have spent countelss time on the phone wiht tech support with this issue of slow web pages. No one told me it is b/c it is throttled.

They quietly made that change a while back. Just another notch in the "we're shady and evil because we can be" belt.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gengar
Still inconvenient to have to be on wifi just to know I've received SMS without incurring a $10/day fee...

I did contact Verizon customer service about the issue but got no further than form letter responses, so looks like I'll just have to keep calling in every time.
Pleased to report that Travelpass can now be removed online (just need to uncheck the checkbox under the Travelpass drop-down in the 'manage my international plan' page, and Travelpass will be removed once clicking through the confirmations).
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

Verizine Travelpass Throttle

Originally Posted by bchandler02
They quietly made that change a while back. Just another notch in the "we're shady and evil because we can be" belt.
This is what makes me so mad. The lady on the phone said they notified customers. I received nothing. I had problems while in Italy in Sept. Called and was told nothing. Paid $10 per day to supposedly have the same service up to my data limit in the US and that is not what I received. For them to throttle on a service they are charging extra for and giving LESS is a shady ripoff.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

In the real world, how much is 500mb a day? All day email, google maps and a few other things (Not video)?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Same here

This is what makes me so mad. The lady on the phone said they notified customers. I received nothing. I had problems while in Italy in Sept. Called and was told nothing. Paid $10 per day to supposedly have the same service up to my data limit in the US and that is not what I received. For them to throttle on a service they are charging extra for and giving LESS is a shady ripoff.
Agreed!!! Just recently went on a month long trip of various South American countries. I had called Verizon and asked about the Travel Pass--which I thought sounded like a fine option. First stop (Buenos Aires) it worked fine, for about maybe an hour. I only used it for maps, email, and Yelp,after which it effectively died for the rest of the day. Only went I hit the limit did I get any notice of this. Made the phone worthless for my purposes most of the trip.

As a result, Verizon just lost me as a customer (after being one for well over 10 years). I am trying Google Project Fi now for upcoming trip to Lebanon and Greece. I have little need for much, if any, talk time--just want live data and texts. We'll see Even if I triple my normal data use, it will be cheaper with Verizon.

BTW, when I called to cancel the rep asked politely why I was leaving, I told her. She did not argue back, sounded like she had heard it before

Regardless, moving to Project Fi from Verizon is already saving me $80-$100 per month so I am embarrassed I did not comparison shop a long time ago.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Edit: posted this in the wrong thread.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Pleased to report that Travelpass can now be removed online (just need to uncheck the checkbox under the Travelpass drop-down in the 'manage my international plan' page, and Travelpass will be removed once clicking through the confirmations).
While this thread has been bumped anyway, I'll add a note that at some point Verizon also updated their MyVerizon app to allow adding/removing of Travelpass via the app. The Travelpass option can be accessed under Account > My Plan > International.

Unfortunately, I may be switching providers due to some horrid experiences with Verizon customer support, especially in-store (how it can be so difficult for the stores to give a customer a "free" SIM card is beyond me). But it's good to see that they have added the ability to add/remove plan options like Travelpass without having to call in.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:28 pm

My girlfriend has Verizon and we're planning on visiting the UK and Ireland for 7 days, but I don't think it'll be economical for her to spend $70 on data for a week. She also has an iPhone 8 without a sim-card slot, so that rather limits her options.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
My girlfriend has Verizon and we're planning on visiting the UK and Ireland for 7 days, but I don't think it'll be economical for her to spend $70 on data for a week. She also has an iPhone 8 without a sim-card slot, so that rather limits her options.
See my post in the other thread; her phone has a SIM slot and is unlocked, so she can just throw in a UK or Irish SIM and call it good. The only iPhone ever without a SIM slot was the Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4.
boberonicus and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:19 pm

Definitely not economical when prepaid bundles including 20GB data are readily available for £20 and even prepaid unlimited data for a month is available for £35.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:21 pm

Definitely not economical when prepaid bundles including 20GB data are readily available for £20 and even prepaid unlimited data for a month is available for £35.
I promise not to veer too off-topic too much.

Which carrier would it be? The one offering 20GB for £20, that is.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:27 pm

I promise not to veer too off-topic too much.

Which carrier would it be? The one offering 20GB for £20, that is.
Vodafone's "Big Value Bundle" for £20 currently includes 20GB of data (technically it is a promotion and 'normally' only includes 10GB, but the promotion has been going on forever). I forget if they charge for SIMs, but it shouldn't be more than £1-2 even if they do. (For those planning to keep a balance on the payg Vodafone SIM cards for future visits, note that the "Big Value Bundle" needs to be canceled or will renew each month.) Three UK is the carrier always advertising the £35 payg unlimited data, but I have no experience with it.
gooselee, TGarza and Nayef like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.