Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AAdavantage Member
What networks were y'all roaming in or did your phone just say Verizon or extended and also did you get 4G/LTE? Interested for Mexico the UK and Australia but down to know for whatever countries as well. Planning on using it on a cruise to Cozumel Honduras and Belize with an iPhone 6.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
sorry if you answered, but if you are still on the grandfathered unlimited plan, I assume this Travelpass is not an option?
however, to quote myself...

There IS an option for $40, 140 countries
International Travel 100 Talk, Text and Data

100 minutes
100 sent messages
Unlimited incoming messages
100 MB data allowance

*Overages:
$25.00 per 100 MB
$0.25 per minute
$0.25 per message sent
Old May 15, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Snorkel 378 TH
What networks were y'all roaming in or did your phone just say Verizon or extended and also did you get 4G/LTE? Interested for Mexico the UK and Australia but down to know for whatever countries as well. Planning on using it on a cruise to Cozumel Honduras and Belize with an iPhone 6.
When I was in Canada, one day it would say Rogers, and another day it would say Telus. It did not say Verizon at all. I didn't notice the 4G. Will have to look for that next time.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Does this work per device or account? I usually travel with an iPad 4g and a iphone. Both are on the same account but have separate phone numbers. Can you use both for the same $10 or is it $10 for each?
Old May 15, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It's per device.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Does this work per device or account? I usually travel with an iPad 4g and a iphone. Both are on the same account but have separate phone numbers. Can you use both for the same $10 or is it $10 for each?
It's per device.
Just use the Personal Hotspot app on the iPhone to connect the iPad to the internet. That way you can use both devices while paying for only one.
Old May 16, 2016, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Just use the Personal Hotspot app on the iPhone to connect the iPad to the internet. That way you can use both devices while paying for only one.
Per simple brilliance. Which explains why I didn't think of it. Thanks!

The reason I asked is that our current plan is 12GB shared with our various devices. We will be in Europe for a month and had planned on buying a local SIM card but even if we use this everyday, which we hope to avoid with wifi, then the total cost for 12GB would only be about $300 which is not bad at all.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just used it in Denmark and Norway last week. Works fine. I was able to roam on most of the carriers...in Denmark it latched on to 3, but Telia also worked. In Norway it latched on to Telenor.

I had LTE on 3 and Telenor but only 3G on Telia.

Verizon sent me texts about an hour before my 24 hours were up letting me know, but I'm not sure how well their billing systems keep track since I left my phone off for half a day at a time and the next reminder text would come through as if I hadn't turned it off.
Old May 16, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Without any plan, incoming text messages are 5 cents and outgoing texts are 50 cents. So $10/day only makes sense if you are planning to text frequently or make voice calls.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Without any plan, incoming text messages are 5 cents and outgoing texts are 50 cents. So $10/day only makes sense if you are planning to text frequently or make voice calls.
Or use data, which is otherwise something like $20/MB
Old May 16, 2016, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Or use data, which is otherwise something like $20/MB
Actually, it is only $2.05 per MB, but that still works out to $12,300 for the 6 GB that I can access from my US domestic plan for $10 a day.

Then there's the cost of the calls, a bargain at $1.79 a minute.

Here's the chart:
Old May 16, 2016, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BrentHutto
The newer iPhone models have both GSM and CDMA radios in them. My iPhone works on Verizon via CDMA normally in the U.S. But can work on any GSM network overseas, given the appropriate SIM.

Verizon has roaming agreements with various (GSM based) networks in other countries. There is no "Verizon UK" for instance.
Verizon offered an international phone (one model was a Samsung flip phone) that had dual GSM and CDMA capacities, IIRC even before the iphone was even introduced.

The problem is that Japan uses different cell phone standards, so most foreign phones don't work there. There might be a couple other countries that are exceptions in this way.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

100 minutes
100 sent messages
100 MB data allowance

*Overages:
$25.00 per 100 MB
$0.25 per minute
$0.25 per message sent
Is this per day, per month, or until you use it up to the limit? Can the 100 minutes be combined over the 140 countries or does each ned country mean a new $40 charge?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:23 am

100 minutes
100 sent messages
100 MB data allowance

*Overages:
$25.00 per 100 MB
$0.25 per minute
$0.25 per message sent
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this per day, per month, or until you use it up to the limit? Can the 100 minutes be combined over the 140 countries or does each ned country mean a new $40 charge?
The rate is $40 per month until you use up the limit, and then the overage charges apply until the beginning of the next billing cycle. Minutes can be combined over the 140 countries.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:00 pm

A quick question about Travelpass: does anyone know how you are billed if you use your phone in multiple foreign countries within the 24 hour period? Is it $10 for use in a foreign country or $10 per country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.