Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:43 pm

So let's say I travel from USA to the UK and take my Verizon iPhone with the TravelPass enabled.

If I make a call it will be counted as part of my unlimited talk time on my plan back home with Verizon USA. How when someone in the UK places a call to my phone? They will presumably dial my USA mobile number.

Wouldn't they have to pay as though they were making an international long distance call?

For me I think that's going to be a reason to stick with my the EE sim card that I normally put in my phone when I'm in the UK. I like being able to give my number to everyone I know in the UK and let them call me if/when they like without having to pay for an expensive toll call.

P.S. I will say that I'll enable TravelPass before leaving home anyway. Sure would be nice to have an affordable backup plan if for some reason my UK SIM doesn't work.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:23 pm

Does anyone know how well Canada/Mexico work in more rural areas? Specifically around the Yucatan.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:01 pm

since Verizon is CDMA , how does it work since most countries are GSM ?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:40 pm

The newer iPhone models have both GSM and CDMA radios in them. My iPhone works on Verizon via CDMA normally in the U.S. But can work on any GSM network overseas, given the appropriate SIM.

Verizon has roaming agreements with various (GSM based) networks in other countries. There is no "Verizon UK" for instance.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
since Verizon is CDMA , how does it work since most countries are GSM ?
Just about all of Verizon's 4G LTE phones are world phones devices that work on both CDMA and GSM networks.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, UA, AA
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I got a welcome text in the UK and Ireland last month when I was there.

I enabled travelpass the day it came out, and have only been billed for the times I actually used it.
How does Verizon define use? Does it have to be outgoing or would incoming count? For example, if I received a txt while overseas, will I be charged the $10? Or if I receive a call, but do not pick up, is this a trigger to be charged?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigasiannd
How does Verizon define use? Does it have to be outgoing or would incoming count? For example, if I received a txt while overseas, will I be charged the $10? Or if I receive a call, but do not pick up, is this a trigger to be charged?
From the TravelPass FAQs:
When am I charged for TravelPass?

When you arrive in the TravelPass covered country and turn on your device, you will receive a confirmation text. Your 24 hour access to TravelPass will not begin until you make or receive a phone call, send a text, or use data. Shortly before your 24 hour session ends, you will receive a text letting you know TravelPass is almost up. If you stop using your device before your 24 hour session ends, you won't be charged again until you use your device internationally the next time. That could be later the next day, next month or even the next year.

What happens when I travel to multiple countries covered by TravelPass?

You are only charged one daily fee per 24 hours for TravelPass, even if you travel within multiple covered countries.

What do I need to do if I don't want to be charged another daily fee for TravelPass?

If you do not want to be charged for another daily fee for TravelPass, stop using your device before your 24 hour TravelPass expires. We recommend that you turn roaming off or place your phone in airplane mode to prevent your device from accidentally triggering a TravelPass charge.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Just about all of Verizon's 4G LTE phones are world phones devices that work on both CDMA and GSM networks.
OK , so older "dumb" flip phones will not work , it needs to have GSM along with Verizons CDMA bands
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:42 am

I hope AT&T will follow. This is so much better than the Passport package offered by AT&T.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
OK , so older "dumb" flip phones will not work , it needs to have GSM along with Verizons CDMA bands
Much to my surprise, Verizon now offers two "basic" phones with GSM capability, the Kyocera DuraXV Plus and the LG Terra™. Both operate on the following frequencies: GSM: B5/B8/B3/B2 (850/900/1800/1900MHz); CDMA: (800/1900MHz).

However, based upon my reading of the plan description, I'm not sure whether users of these phones are eligible to sign up for TravelPass - "*4G LTE World Device req'd. Must be on qualifying plan." However, that language may predate the release of the GSM capable flip phones. I recommend that you call Verizon Global Support (908-559-4899) and ask.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:33 pm
pjw714

Verizon Travelpass

I spoke to Verizon rep for son traveling in Europe. Unfortunately the $2/$10/day works only if you have the 'more' plan. The other plan they offer is no longer prorated, and even the version rep laughed at the little amount of data mb's they offer you.

Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've used Travelpass for a few Europe/Asia/Australia trips now (although I switched to a local SIM for Australia shortly after arrival). While it's certainly not the cheapest option, it is very convenient, works very well, and is a huge step in the right direction as a value proposition. Color me impressed.

I default to using it now if my trip is less than five days at the main destination, and will consider it for trips over a week for the convenience factor alone.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:05 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Agreed. It worked flawlessly for me recently in Mexico followed by a stop in Grand Cayman on a cruise. It did NOT work in the Bahamas, but this fact is disclosed in the on line information. I have a Note 4.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry if you answered, but if you are still on the grandfathered unlimited plan, I assume this Travelpass is not an option?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: United Airlines MileagePlus
Originally Posted by richard
sorry if you answered, but if you are still on the grandfathered unlimited plan, I assume this Travelpass is not an option?
That's correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.