Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Old Jul 16, 19, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Nayef View Post
My girlfriend has Verizon and we're planning on visiting the UK and Ireland for 7 days, but I don't think it'll be economical for her to spend $70 on data for a week. She also has an iPhone 8 without a sim-card slot, so that rather limits her options.
The SIM slot is on the side with the button to lock the screen. Just use a paper clip to push the SIM card tray out. I am using a Verizon iPhone 8 with an AT&T SIM card.
ajGoes and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Vodafone's "Big Value Bundle" for 20 currently includes 20GB of data (technically it is a promotion and 'normally' only includes 10GB, but the promotion has been going on forever). I forget if they charge for SIMs, but it shouldn't be more than 1-2 even if they do. (For those planning to keep a balance on the payg Vodafone SIM cards for future visits, note that the "Big Value Bundle" needs to be canceled or will renew each month.) Three UK is the carrier always advertising the 35 payg unlimited data, but I have no experience with it.
Vodafone doesn't charge for SIM cards; or at least they don't when you buy a Big Value Bundle or PayGo credit to start up a new line and need a SIM accordingly.

I've been very, very pleased with my Vodafone UK account for the past couple years.

For trips less than ~2 weeks, I've found very good value in the "Pay As You Go 1" scheme. Normal PayGo rates but once you hit 1 in charges for the day, the rest of your local calls/texts are free and you also get up to 500MB data for the remainder of the day. Then it all resets at midnight UK time for the following day. Added benefit is you don't have to remember to cancel when you leave, so you can keep your +44 number basically indefinitely and then just top up again when you return.

f you're staying within Vodafone's "Europe Zone" (basically all of Western Europe) and not making many international calls, this works really well and the 1/day is legitimate - I just returned from a 12 day trip and my PayGo balance went down by 14 I think (the extra charges were for a few int'l calls/texts; rates for those also quite reasonable with the free International add-on).

I suppose if you need a LOT more data or are there for several weeks, the Big Value Bundle makes more sense. But I've never come close to hitting the 500MB/day limit.
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I suppose if you need a LOT more data or are there for several weeks, the Big Value Bundle makes more sense. But I've never come close to hitting the 500MB/day limit.
The problem is the one time going over 500MB in one day, it's such a pain to be throttled (same issue with Verizon and Travelpass and one of the reasons I decided to switch to AT&T). On Vodafone IME it's worse than 2G. Even if I rarely go over 500MB in one day, I'd rather just pay the 20 (or even the 10 for 6GB if on a shorter trip) and not worry about it.

Added benefit is you don't have to remember to cancel when you leave, so you can keep your +44 number basically indefinitely and then just top up again when you return.
Just FYI it is possible even for payg users to sign up for an online account on the Vodafone website and the "Big Value Bundle" can be disabled from the online account - so it's not necessary to deactivate in-country.
Old Jul 16, 19, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
The problem is the one time going over 500MB in one day, it's such a pain to be throttled (same issue with Verizon and Travelpass and one of the reasons I decided to switch to AT&T). On Vodafone IME it's worse than 2G. Even if I rarely go over 500MB in one day, I'd rather just pay the 20 (or even the 10 for 6GB if on a shorter trip) and not worry about it.

Just FYI it is possible even for payg users to sign up for an online account on the Vodafone website and the "Big Value Bundle" can be disabled from the online account - so it's not necessary to deactivate in-country.
I believe if you hit 500MB, you have the option to just text "MORE" or something and get another 500MB for just 1 more (still at 4G speed). I investigated it once because I had the same concern you mention; for me just turned out to be a non-issue.

I use the Vodafone website/app to manage and top-up, so all good there. I didn't mean to imply you had to deactivate in-country; I just meant it was one less thing to worry about/deal with when travelling.

The good news is I think both are very good options, really - and both much better than VZW Travelpass!
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
I believe if you hit 500MB, you have the option to just text "MORE" or something and get another 500MB for just 1 more (still at 4G speed). I investigated it once because I had the same concern you mention; for me just turned out to be a non-issue.
Good to know, thanks - I may try this next time.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 4:29 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Former VIP - Fromin's Deli; Encino, CA - 33 years status granted at successor deli - "Uncle Bernies"
Let's stay on topic ***

This thread is about Verizon's offerings. Discussion of other telecom vendors and country specific SIM's are covered in many other threads, Thank you in advance for keeping this thread focused via future posts.
TWA884 likes this.