Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone 5s & iPad Mini 4: Same charger?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

iPhone 5s & iPad Mini 4: Same charger?

I'm thinking of buying the iPad Mini 4 when we're in New Hampshire in 2 weeks. Does it use the same charger as my iPhone 5s? Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:41 pm

They're both Lightning so yes.

And fwiw, from what I hear, the charger that comes with the iPad charges your phone faster than the one that comes with your phone. I actually picked up an iPad charger and I'm using it at home. The one that comes with the phone is being used for travel due to its size.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, all Apple devices charge via their standard Lightning port. The smaller charger that comes with an iPhone puts out 1 amp, while the larger charger that comes with an iPad puts out 2 amps. The iPhone 6 and 6s can actually use the full 2 amps from the bigger charger, so they charge faster using it. But both iPad and iPhone can charge from the smaller 1 amp charger, albeit more slowly.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yes, all Apple devices charge via their standard Lightning port. The smaller charger that comes with an iPhone puts out 1 amp, while the larger charger that comes with an iPad puts out 2 amps. The iPhone 6 and 6s can actually use the full 2 amps from the bigger charger, so they charge faster using it. But both iPad and iPhone can charge from the smaller 1 amp charger, albeit more slowly.
This. I usually travel with the larger charger.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
It'd be a good idea to get a two- or four-port USB wall charger that's capable of putting out 2 amps per port so you can charge all your devices fast.

All recent Apple devices use a lightning port to charge, so a couple of extra cables if needed and you're good. I typically travel with some of these wall chargers plus USB battery packs, and a few cables - handles pretty much everything.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by CatJo
It'd be a good idea to get a two- or four-port USB wall charger that's capable of putting out 2 amps per port so you can charge all your devices fast..
I would be careful about using any old charger, just because of the number of ports or claims of amp output. There is a lot of junk out there in the world of USB chargers. This is from 2012, but well worth looking at:
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-doze...-apple-is.html
Ken Shirriff's blog
Chargers, microprocessors, Arduino, and whatever
"...A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best
When you buy a USB charger, how do you know if you're getting a safe, high-quality charger for your money?...."
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There's an entire thread on chargers, with a wiki to summarize findings

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-solution.html
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
But both iPad and iPhone can charge from the smaller 1 amp charger, albeit more slowly.
Are you sure about this? Because all of my iPads won't change with the 1 amp charger. They all need to charged with the bigger one. The iPhones will charge with the 2 amp charger so I just take the bigger charger.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Need
Are you sure about this? Because all of my iPads won't change with the 1 amp charger. They all need to charged with the bigger one. The iPhones will charge with the 2 amp charger so I just take the bigger charger.
My iPads all charge with the 1 amp charger, just slower as said above.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the upcoming iPad Pro might not charge with the 1A charger, but all others I've seen do.

Are you using the original Apple 1A charger that came with your iPhone? A knockoff might not actually put out 1A.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Are you sure about this? Because all of my iPads won't change with the 1 amp charger.
The iPad may say "Not Charging" but it actually is. It charges at a rate of something like 10% an hour when turned off, iirc.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
The iPad may say "Not Charging" but it actually is. It charges at a rate of something like 10% an hour when turned off, iirc.
My iPads only show the "Not Charging" if I plug them into a laptop's 500 mA USB port.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CPRich
Same... Mine claim they are not charging, but they are... Just reaaaaaaaaally slowly.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. Good to know how fast it is. I'll be picking it up in New Hampshire next week. I see that IOS 9.0.2 is out. Do you recommend updating it to 9.0.2 right away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.