FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Need help asap! Laptop problem - Murphy's Law (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1706987-need-help-asap-laptop-problem-murphys-law.html)

Dodge DeBoulet Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 25477763)
If there are no GFCI modules, then maybe that circuit is experiencing power surges?

SkiAdcock, this may sound a bit weird, but sniff the broken chargers. Do they smell burnt in any way?

GFCI modules wouldn't have an impact on power surges; they're entirely different from surge suppressors. And any surges would likely be experienced through all circuits in a house anyway.

Insulator-King Sep 29, 2015 1:09 pm

You could have dirty power.

As far as laptops go, get a nice used Thinkpad to keep as a backup.

SkiAdcock Sep 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Sorry - have been sidetracked. House I'm renting has well water & the pump has been running all morning/early aft. Called owners as that can't be good for the motor, and just before they arrived zero water in the house. They were here for an hour trying to get it fixed, but said it's beyond their capabilities so are now trying to find a well/pump guy. It may be old age, as the owners bought this place in 1980 & the pump was here when they bought it. I'm trying not to drink fluids so I don't have to use the toilet. I swear, whomever said Murphy was an optimist was an optimist him/her self.

PS - What's dirty power?

Cheers.

DenverBrian Sep 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25494882)
PS - What's dirty power?

Cheers.

Let me Google that for you: :D :D :D

http://superuser.com/questions/18200...is-dirty-power

FLYMSY Sep 29, 2015 9:11 pm

I think all of this has less to do with Murphy's Law and is more a question of: What have you done to piss off the Universe? ;)

SkiAdcock Sep 30, 2015 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 25496542)
I think all of this has less to do with Murphy's Law and is more a question of: What have you done to piss off the Universe? ;)

:D :D

On day 2 of no water. Electricity still on though (dirty or otherwise).

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2015 2:02 pm

Problems connecting to the internet. Oh there's a familiar story. Am dog sitting at a friend's. They've got uverse.They left me the wireless key info. So I click on their WiFi, key it in, and it doesn't connect. I get an error code and click on fix/resolve it. Nada get a message re investigate router or access point issues. To unplug the device, wait 10 seconds a d turn it back on. I thought it meant my laptop and did that. Nothing. I'm able to access their internet with the kindle fire, which i'm typing this on. I was also able to connect on prior trips to their WiFi w/ the old Vista laptop. Any suggestions? I brought the laptop with me because I need to do some work and part of that requires inet access. I've walked through house. Four tv's, 4 dvrs. I can't find the router.

mia Oct 3, 2015 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25513721)
... click on their WiFi, key it in, and it doesn't connect. I get an error code .

1. Do you have a choice of networks or is their's the only one?

2. What is the exact error message?

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2015 3:25 pm

All the other networks are secured, just like my friends. I click on theirs, type in the wireless key. It then says unable to connect to theirs. I click on troubleshoot problem, then it says resolving problems, then reset wireless adapter, the checking to see if it's resolved, then investigate router or access point issues. If you're connected to hotspot ordination network, contact network administrator.otherwise, implication off the device, after all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds. Turn the device back on or plug it back into power outlet.to reset a router or access point that has built in battery, press and quickly release the reset button. Then click on link on my screen after I've done the above.

Textured my friends. The router is underneath the master bed. Never would have occurred to me to look there.

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2015 3:42 pm

Ok. Unplugged the router and turned it back on. Didn't.t fix the issue. Get message saying windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue. Refer to Windows help for more info re wireless connectivity issues.

If I have to I can just use the kindle fire for web stuff and use the laptop for offline today, but would like to get this sorted as I dogsit for these friends a few times a year and do need access to the internet when I.m here.

Hopefully the laptop isn't screwed up and I'll still be able to access my own internet at home tomorrow.

When I was at the library yesterday accessing their internet a screen popped up asking me about network and saying something about public and private. I didn't really know what the 3 options meant but since I was at the library I picked public. Was able to access library's inept and my own when I got home last night and today. Just here I.m running I to problem, although yesterday and today are the first times I've tried accessing internet other than my own.

Cheers

mia Oct 3, 2015 4:41 pm

I assume you are absolutely certain that you are connecting to the correct network. Have you turned the laptop completely off (no standby, no hibernate, no automated shutdown-and-restart routine), and restarted it?

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 25514247)
I assume you are absolutely certain that you are connecting to the correct network. Have you turned the laptop completely off (no standby, no hibernate, no automated shutdown-and-restart routine), and restarted it?

Absolutely certain on network and also shutting down completely. Shut down a few times. the new laptop shuts down and starts so fast i don't bother with the other stuff.I'm accessing inet on kindle fire connecting to their WiFi, so can access their WiFi. Just not with the laptop.

DenverBrian Oct 3, 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25514274)
Absolutely certain on network and also shutting down completely. Shut down a few times. the new laptop shuts down and starts so fast i don't bother with the other stuff.I'm accessing inet on kindle fire connecting to their WiFi, so can access their WiFi. Just not with the laptop.

Once you get back home or somewhere you have internet, make sure all drivers are updated, not via Windows Update but via Lenovo Solution Center under Lenovo ThinkVantage tools.

You might have to update Solution Center first, then run it to look for updates to WiFi, LAN and related areas.

SkiAdcock Oct 3, 2015 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 25514778)
Once you get back home or somewhere you have internet, make sure all drivers are updated, not via Windows Update but via Lenovo Solution Center under Lenovo ThinkVantage tools.

You might have to update Solution Center first, then run it to look for updates to WiFi, LAN and related areas.

Ok will try that but don't remember Lenovo stuff at all. This may be the blind etc. If I get a chance xxx will try a couple of other public places, but I think it would be more interesting to try some others

Note to self try to find x Lenovo solutions

SkiAdcock Oct 4, 2015 5:59 am

Absolutely no idea why, but laptop connected to friends internet this morning. Technology stuff baffles me.

Cheers.