Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Prime Instant Video will let you download movies/TV shows

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Amazon Prime Instant Video will let you download movies/TV shows

This is great for flights and road trips. I guess I don't have to record them anymore on PlayLater.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...d#.VeWyOmN3cch
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So what is the download size of a TV episode? A 2-hour movie?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Not sure. I don't think it is available now yet. It probably depends on if they will let you pick the resolutions. I am guessing around 0.8 to 1.5GB per hour on 1080p?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Need
I guess I don't have to record them anymore on PlayLater.
I have been looking for something like this. Anyone have opinions on this?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
On PlayLater or Amazon Prime Video download? I have been using PlayLater for a while. It works, but the quality even recording in HD is not as good as the original streaming. Once in a while, it will glitch out and not record a show. Once in a while, it won't stop recording. I would recording a 45 min episode and come back 2 hours later and it is still recording. If you cancel it, you lost everything. But the only way to stop it is to cancel.. you cannot say stop recording now and let me see what's in there.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
On PlayLater or Amazon Prime Video download?
PlayLater. Would you recommend this? Can I use this instead of my cable DVR service?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
I have been using the amazon fire phone and my i-pad 2 for the prime download feature. great for travel but remember to download before you travel abroad.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

PlayLater. Would you recommend this? Can I use this instead of my cable DVR service?
I don't think so. Your cable DVR records from your cable TV. PlayLater records streaming video on the internet; ie. Hulu, Netflix, CBS, NBC, ...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:27 am

delete

Last edited by davie355; Sep 1, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
It is so frustrating that I cannot download to my laptop. I don't want to watch tv on my phone (I'm old, the screen is tiny, forgive me) and I travel with a laptop, not a tablet. Because I actually like a laptop for working, and if I'm not working, I probably get by fine with just my phone. Grr. (I also have a kindle, but it's old school reading only, not a Fire). So I have Amazon Prime but have so many problems using the included media components...... I won't even delve into my lack of internet access because I live in the boonies
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been very satisfied with PlayLater. I share a 2-deviceNetflix account, and I use PlayLater overnight to record stuff we want to watch. Then I use Plex to view it when it's convenient for us.

As an aside, does anyone know if there is a way to properly match TV episodes recorded by PlayLater so that Plex can recognize it? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Just tested it out. Availability is limited/random. I smell rights holders .
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
This is great for flights and road trips. I guess I don't have to record them anymore on PlayLater.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...d#.VeWyOmN3cch
It's good to see Amazon trying to catch up to Plex. Plex for me is about 2GB per movie at "high" quality.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I've been very satisfied with PlayLater. I share a 2-deviceNetflix account, and I use PlayLater overnight to record stuff we want to watch. Then I use Plex to view it when it's convenient for us.

As an aside, does anyone know if there is a way to properly match TV episodes recorded by PlayLater so that Plex can recognize it? Thanks in advance.
If it's named properly (i.e. Breaking.Bad.S01E03) Plex should recognize it automatically and download the metadata.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
It is so frustrating that I cannot download to my laptop. I don't want to watch tv on my phone (I'm old, the screen is tiny, forgive me) and I travel with a laptop, not a tablet.
Amazon has actually had a Windows desktop app for quite some time now that allows you to download your Amazon videos to your laptop to watch them offline (ie., on a plane). I've been using it for years. The problem is, I'm pretty sure they recently discontinued it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.