Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime Instant Video will let you download movies/TV shows

Old Dec 31, 15, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It is nice to be able to download for flights and stuff.

But the question is, is the Prime content (which you don't have to pay extra for, other than being a Prime member), better than the content you'd get on an IFE?
Old Dec 31, 15, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

But the question is, is the Prime content (which you don't have to pay extra for, other than being a Prime member), better than the content you'd get on an IFE?
Overall, likely not compared to the newest IFE systems with 1,000+ movies/TV shows to choose from, especially a lot of newer options and very popular classics. BUT, I've used Amazon Prime when I know that my IFE will be limited/not available/broken as well as for a backup in case I get bumped/misconnect/etc. and am on a flight without IFE.

Last edited by lowfareair; Dec 31, 15 at 2:49 pm
Old Dec 31, 15, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Agreed. Prime also allows you to download music/video content specific to your tastes (if it exists on Amazon Prime ). As fairly regular user or the Prime free deliveries, I'm finding the music and instant video to be very nice additions.
Old Jan 1, 16, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Honestly, that is a "worth" question and other people can't really make that determination for you.

For me, it's a no brainer. On AA (which is my primary airline) the IFE screens and the experience is fairly horrible, so even if it has the latest movies, the experience is far inferior to my iPad. Also, with the content downloaded to my device, I control the experience. My wife, who frequently gets lured by the siren song of a new release on the IFE, rather than using what she has on her iPad, will invariably start a movie at just the wrong time in the flight, and then not be able to finish it prior to landing, only to be left hanging. I on the other hand, can finish the movie later if that happens (and in fact, that did literally happen on our Christmas holiday).

Again, at the end of the day, worth is up to you, but I can always find something interesting and worth watching on Amazon Prime, but I'm also not someone that has to have the latest and greatest new releases to be satisfied/entertained. Since I don't fly on AA's newest planes (e.g. 77W) very often, my personal iPad driven IFE is superior (IMHO) in every way to the one provided by AA.

Regards
Old Jan 1, 16, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador

I had 4 Prime movies on my iPad and watched 2 on our return flights. Both were far superior to the crap offered on UA's IFE. However on my VX outbound flight I was delighted to find Straight Outta Compton on IFE (and mostly uncut from what I could tell). So obviously YMMV depending on your preferred carrier.

All that said I don't use Prime much beyond the free shipping and an occasional movie at home, so I view this as a huge feature that justifies the higher annual fee. The only downside is the fairly limited selection but I expect that to improve over time.
Old Jan 1, 16, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Man if Netflix allowed downloading on their app ...
Old Jan 2, 16, 2:14 pm

Is There a Limit to How Many Movies can be Donwloaded?

Does Amazon have a limit on how many movies you can download and keep on your device at one time (other than device memory limitations)?
Old Jan 2, 16, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Does Amazon have a limit on how many movies you can download and keep on your device at one time (other than device memory limitations)?
This question has been asked and answered, literally within the very thread you are posting in.

Regards
Old Jan 2, 16, 3:07 pm

That may well be - which illustrates the problems of long threads with very broad titles. I regularly read this forum - but I don't read every posting in every thread.

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
This question has been asked and answered, literally within the very thread you are posting in.

Regards
Old Jan 3, 16, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
That may well be - which illustrates the problems of long threads with very broad titles. I regularly read this forum - but I don't read every posting in every thread.
By FT standards, this particular thread is neither long nor a broad title relative to your question.

Part of the reason threads do indeed become long is because they are frequently filled with posts asking questions that have already been answered or could be simply and quickly answered via a Google search (e.g. "How many Amazon Prime Videos can I download")

Regards

Search this Thread
Search Engine: