Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can I work with electrical outlets that don't “hold” plugs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I work with electrical outlets that don't “hold” plugs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
To cope with outlets that are either loose or distant, I travel with a few EU to US adapters with different diameter plugs, a universal travel adapter to cover odd cases, and this extension cord I made up with a very old non-polarized US plug and three-way socket:

The cord is 18' long and only weighs 4 1/2 oz. I forget the wire size, but it's no smaller than 22 gauge which can carry over 100 watts at 110v and up. It has brought power to my nighttable in almost every hotel room.

Whether it's plugged into 110v or 220v, I only use it for universal 100v-240v chargers with US prongs.

I've got to be careful to route it away from the maid's vacuum cleaner, though.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Seconded. I haven't used anything but an adapter for my electronics in Europe for the last ten years and haven't fried a computer, tablet, cell phone, GPS, or anything else. Through several sources, I've heard that hair dryers aren't so reliably protected, but I don't use one of those normally unless the hotel/B&B provides it and then, it's only to dry clothes, not my hair.
Thirded, if it hasn't been so already. Hair dryers are different because they also have cycling motors - on a different voltage, the motor spins at an incorrect rate for its design, and the appliance begins to function incorrectly. (Or the innards begin to smell like melting rubber, which is what happened to me in Germany once.)

I have long hair and think the hotel hair dryers suck (or at the least have hit-or-miss quality/reliability), so long ago I just invested in a small and powerful 220V travel-size hair dryer. Best money I ever spent.

I haven't used a transformer since (literally) 1998.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Hi MM.

A simple safe solution is to carry a large (2") paper clip. Bend one arm out 90 degrees (so you can hold it by the looped area). Make the extended wire parallel to one of the plug prongs (flat or round type, works for all). The extended wire should be shorter than the prong. If not bend it until it is. Insert in to plug so it makes one prong a tight squeeze. This method works on planes and trickier / sloppier plugs that you've described.

This makes a tight fit, isn't that fiddly and you won't end up with bits left inside the socket. As long as you don't try to do this with more than one prong it is safe to you (i.e. if you do this with clips on two prongs your body will complete the circuit and you will light up like a light bulb! - not really, but you get the picture)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rdover1
Hi MM.

A simple safe solution is to carry a large (2") paper clip. Bend one arm out 90 degrees (so you can hold it by the looped area). Make the extended wire parallel to one of the plug prongs (flat or round type, works for all). The extended wire should be shorter than the prong. If not bend it until it is. Insert in to plug so it makes one prong a tight squeeze. This method works on planes and trickier / sloppier plugs that you've described.

This makes a tight fit, isn't that fiddly and you won't end up with bits left inside the socket. As long as you don't try to do this with more than one prong it is safe to you (i.e. if you do this with clips on two prongs your body will complete the circuit and you will light up like a light bulb! - not really, but you get the picture)
Although I am sure this will work, and if done according to directions, work safely, I'm going to encourage the OP to evaluate his personal situation to determine whether this or any similar solution is advisable.

He's made several references to "kiddos" in this thread. If those kids are teens and above, maybe they'll understand the dangers if you express a warning to them. For children younger, we know they learn by imitation. We also know, however, that their imitations tend to go in directions that aren't always expected so that one metal object in an electrical socket can become two for an impressionable younger child.

I just wouldn't take that chance.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
I've encountered the "loose outlet syndrome" in hotels. I suspect that it's due to vacuum cleaners plugged into them every day and having the cables yanked out. Oh, and the use of cheap outlets, too, since "nobody uses them."
You guessed right. I had a bunch of loose ones replaced in my house recently--we haven't lived here that long, so probably not our fault--and that's exactly what the handyman said causes it. In homes, he usually sees it in hallways.

Of course, hotel room outlets--and easily accessible airport ones--are going to get "vacuum pull" on a daily basis, plus pulling from other peoples' wall warts, power strips completely stretched out so people can sit comfortably elsewhere, etc.

While I haven't run into this problem myself, that doesn't mean I don't believe those of you who say it does! This is by coincidence, not something I select for, but almost all of the places I've stayed in the past few years have been new or recently remodeled, with decent numbers of outlets.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:49 am

Hi MM.

Not sure I'm understanding it properly, but in any country with an earthed electrical network, one of the two wires is the live one. Better not touch it. Even if I the position of live and neutral is standardized, I wouldn't touch (because often it is not wired correctly). And even on norwegian IT insulated installations, I'd rather not touch any naked wire...

Last edited by ChangingNappies; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
We know we can more easily bend a US flat shaped prong than a EU one... so the "HOW" of bending the prongs when in flight or at some EU hotel is something no one has answered yet.
Hold prongs facing upwards and pinch them together slightly by the tips with thumb and forefinger. Do so gradually increasing pressure as needed in pinching motion. No pliers needed if you're using an inexpensive tap. To unbend them insert a finger between the blades and push slightly outward.

I don't have the strongest hands/grip and can make the adjustments by hand.

Last edited by freecia; Sep 1, 2015 at 5:19 pm Reason: clarifications
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi MM.

Wait, are you saying to stick a paper clip into a socket? That is quite possibly the most moronic advice I've heard in a while. Even if you know which pin is the neutral, you're putting an awful lot of faith in the local electrician's having wired things correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.