Wiki Posts
Search

Most Northerly/Southerly Places with Cell Coverage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Most Northerly/Southerly Places with Cell Coverage

I've just discovered that Verizon's international roaming coverage map claims they can offer cell coverage in Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories, Canada. This settlement is just a hair south of 72° north.

Does anyone know of a location at a higher parallel with cell coverage?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I've just discovered that Verizon's international roaming coverage map claims they can offer cell coverage in Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories, Canada. This settlement is just a hair south of 72° north.

Does anyone know of a location at a higher parallel with cell coverage?
I've answered my own question. Various areas on Svalbard, Norway are covered, including bits of Spitzbergen that are above the 79th parallel. Wow.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Further place north I've ever been was northern Finland, which of COURSE had full coverage (but the Norwegian islands are further north than the mainland)..furthest place south, offshore of Ushuaia about 74 miles south. Still had coverage.. but then nothing.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
For North America I'm going to go with Grise Fiord Nunavut's QINIQ service. Ottawa funded their Motorola 2.5GHz "Pre-WiMax" to LTE conversion earlier this summer. I think LTE goes live next April.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
There's cell coverage in Antartica, at least around some of the Argentine bases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleco..._in_Antarctica
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
This is probably a big contributing factor to the original Iridium going under. They simply underestimated both the rate, and the geographic extent, of cellular network growth.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by valdor
There's cell coverage in Antartica, at least around some of the Argentine bases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleco..._in_Antarctica
For cities and towns areas otherwise it might be Ushuaia, Argentina, though puerto Navarino, Chile may offer cellular service and is south of USH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.