Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My laptop has no WiFi. USB ports removed. How to connect to inflight wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

My laptop runs on Windows 8. It does not have built-in WiFi. The two USB ports, webcam, microphone and SD card slot were physically removed by the company IT guy(per company rules). The only ports are power adapte, HDMI port, a full-size(credit card size) smartcard reader and a regular ethernet port.

Is there anyway that I can use it to connect to onboard WiFi service such as Gogo? I'm thinking some kind of ethernet to WiFi adpater? Are there such devices out there?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SquareRainbow
(...) I'm thinking some kind of ethernet to WiFi adpater? Are there such devices out there?

Results from Google

Something like
this this
might be what you are looking for ? My issue is that without USB on your machine you would need to power it up externally... and it would be bulky and inconvenient.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

There are many wireless routers that can do what you need, here's a thread with the most popular ones. The trick is to decide how you're going to power the device. Some travel routers assume you'll have AC power (say, in a hotel room) and others draw power from a USB port (which you don't have).

You mentioned Gogo. If the airplane you're on has USB ports for each passenger, you could plug this USB travel router (which is discussed in the thread I linked to) into that. Alternatively, you could use a portable battery with a USB port,
like this one I randomly found on Amazon like this one I randomly found on Amazon
to power the travel router. I don't know how many minutes/hours of service you'd get from this combination, but that could be an issue.

You'll also need:
  • A USB cable to power the router
  • An Ethernet cable to plug your PC into the router.

So:
Battery -> USB cable -> Travel Router
Travel Router -> Ethernet Cable -> PC

Seems pretty straightforward, right? But it's not. Sometimes getting past the portal page (to pay/login to, say, Gogo) with a travel router can be tricky.

Last edited by boberonicus; Aug 1, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pb9997

Results from Google

Something like this might be what you are looking for ? My issue is that without USB on your machine you would need to power it up externally... and it would be bulky and inconvenient.
Yeah, I saw something like that but could figure out how to get around to having no USB power. The one you linked to on Amazon seems to have pretty good reviews. I suppose I can use an external USB batter pack? I have one that I bought at the Verizon corporate store. It's made by Samsung that's rated 9000mAh.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Get an iPad.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by pb9997

Results from Google

Something like this might be what you are looking for ? My issue is that without USB on your machine you would need to power it up externally... and it would be bulky and inconvenient.
Do you need to connect to GoGo for work use? If so, I'd think it's your IT department's responsibility to come up with a solution. As someone else mentioned, even an iPad loaner would be fine (you can use Outlook.com to connect pretty easily to your email, if you're a Microsoft kind of person).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:11 pm

Use your smartphone.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Get an iPad.
This (or a different type of tablet) does seem like the most logical solution. Your employer clearly didn't want this laptop connecting to unknown networks, so why put effort into trying to circumvent their restrictions? A laptop where the USB ports were physically removed means someone REALLY wants to keep it secure. Don't mess with it. You'll find tablets at the local electronics superstore for as low as $100 - get one.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:22 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ScottC
This (or a different type of tablet) does seem like the most logical solution. Your employer clearly didn't want this laptop connecting to unknown networks, so why put effort into trying to circumvent their restrictions? A laptop where the USB ports were physically removed means someone REALLY wants to keep it secure. Don't mess with it. You'll find tablets at the local electronics superstore for as low as $100 - get one.
Plus if they've gone to the trouble to remove USB ports they may also restrict network access, so plugging in to an unauthorised network may not work.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
Plus if they've gone to the trouble to remove USB ports they may also restrict network access, so plugging in to an unauthorised network may not work.
Or worse, it'll get logged and reported.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Do you need to connect to GoGo for work use? If so, I'd think it's your IT department's responsibility to come up with a solution. As someone else mentioned, even an iPad loaner would be fine (you can use Outlook.com to connect pretty easily to your email, if you're a Microsoft kind of person).
I have no idea what industry you are in, but the levels of precautions sound excessive for most industries. There are some old school wifi bridges that will work for you, but you are going to need some usb power source for most of them. Also, at the end of the day you are circumventing their bar on wifi.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can't be the first person in your company to have this issue. Ask IT for an authized solution, if there is one. No idea where you work, but some employers take circumventing their precautions quite seriously.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by SquareRainbow
Is there anyway that I can use it to connect to onboard WiFi service such as Gogo? I'm thinking some kind of ethernet to WiFi adpater? Are there such devices out there?
Your company has intentionally taken away every reasonable approach for connecting your laptop to wireless networks. This was deliberate on their part, which means for example, they don't want you connecting to in-flight wireless.

Why are you trying to circumvent what is obviously your company's intent? You want to get on the net, bring your own laptop or tablet.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:37 pm

For USB power without a USB port, get an external battery pack.
Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 am

If what you refer to as the "full-size (credit card size) smartcard reader" then you likely have a PCMCIA slot, in which case there are many good, cheap solutions for WiFi cards.

Here's one example...
Amazon Amazon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.