Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smartwatch for Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Smartwatch for Navigation?

When traveling abroad, I'm constantly walking around looking at my phone for directions.
I was contemplating a smartwatch to help streamline this process.
I'm thinking of trying the Pebble Time to see how that will work. I like that it has a long battery life and is relatively inexpensive. Any thoughts?
I also saw some Bluetooth watches that simply pair with the phone (Samsung Galaxy S5, T- Mobile). What's the difference?

All I will be using this for is Navigation (to begin with).

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: The Embassy
This is one of the few things my Apple Watch is really good at, but it's far from cheap.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Android Wear devices like the Moto 360 offer native navigation directions when you use Google Maps.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Walking navigation is one of the few actually useful use cases I've found for my Android Wear device (the other being pacing/tracking while running). If this is your only intended use, I'd get a cheap used LG G Watch for $50-$75 (PM me if you decide to go that route)... if you want something more fashionable and/or to experiment with for other use cases, the Moto 360 is a solid, well built, and much better looking device for $150 new.

Every time I see the Moto 360 drop in price I ALMOST pull the trigger, but then I think about how hard I tried to find enough day-to-day uses for the LG G Watch, and failed, that I tell my self "maybe when it hits $xxx"... I'm thinking $99 might be the point where I grab one. With the 360 at least it won't look out of place with business attire the way the G Watch does.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I recommend the Moto 360. I use mine for just the purpose you mention plus sending texts, stopwatch/timer, and view messages/email as they come in, and tracking fitness.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Moto 360 is the best overall smartwatch, IMHO. They're down to $150 right now, though you might consider waiting as the new iteration will likely be introduced shortly.

It handles navigation quite nicely.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:08 pm

Samsung Gear S will do this with for example Here maps..

The watch is actually a complete smartphone, with voice callls, 3G data, wifi, Bluetooth and GPS. So you're covered on many dimension. The only catch is that you must initialize the watch with a recent Ssmsung Galaxy phone but then it can operate fairly independently and you dony need to have the phone on you. Some other caveats but thats further details.

Battery life is all day if you use the phone and mobile data. If you turn thise off and just bluetooth youll get 2 day, 3 if you are a vety light user.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.