Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Portable monitor suggestions?

Old Jul 7, 15, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

I've read a few reviews from tech bloggers, but they are mostly worried about setting up their dual gaming monitors at Starbucks....

I generally "camp" at hotels for a couple/few weeks at a time and am looking for any suggestions for a larger (international) "travel friendly" monitor.

I'm not looking to do a dual screen set up, I really just want to do a full size keyboard/monitor/docking station type of set up (similar to my office).

I've been looking at the AOC ones, but wasn't sure if there might be a larger/better option even if it isn't officially "portable".
Old Jul 7, 15, 10:54 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Lenovo makes a couple, the LT1421 and LT1423, both are 14" DisplayLink connected, but the 1423 also has a wireless connection and our users prefer them to the AOC. They ship with either a folio or a plastic travel cover.

Sharp makes the Sharp LL-S201A which is a 19.5" touch screen connecting via HDMI or DisplayLink. It is a nice looking screen and is very thin but not inexpensive. It has a kickstand and travels well.

Depending on where you are travelling to and how long you are there, perhaps buying a decent inexpensive, or used 24" monitor and selling when you leave. For $125US or so, there are plenty of new acceptable monitors providing lots of screen size and you aren't hassling with transport. For that matter I've put a hotel TV to good use just an HDMI cable (or a Chromecast).

Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 15, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1.../dp/B013XFJKGI
jordan01 likes this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Oct 25, 16 at 10:54 am Reason: Updated Amazon link
Old Jul 8, 15, 7:39 pm

You could try something like this:
Amazon Amazon

It's basically a monitor (with HDMI inputs, speakers, etc) built into a small hardside case, which also has room for a video game console or other stuff of roughly that size.

But you could easily use it as a carry-on bag, put other stuff in it, and then use it along with your notebook PC as a portable monitor.

Bob
Old Jul 9, 15, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
I really like the USB 3.0 powered self contained monitors such as this AOC one:
http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/e1649fwu

Just one USB 3.0 cord and you have an extra monitor. They come in all sizes from 7" to 19"....
Old Jul 9, 15, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
I've got an ASUS MB168B+ and love it when I'm on the road. Make sure you get the "+" model if you care about the resolution as it's 1080p whereas the other is far less. It's USB 3.0 powered and the case doubles as the monitor stand. Fits in my backpack no problem.
Old Jul 10, 15, 12:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Welcome friend! I am the compendium in these matters. I very seriously doubt there's a single portable monitor in existence I am unaware of, I have spent considerable time and effort gathering information about and buying better and better ones.

First of all, I will only write about full HD monitors. Nothing else is worth a cent.

GeChic 1303H is 13.3", it has got a micro HDMI, mini DisplayPort and even VGA. Monitor is 600gr, cover stand is 320gr. Price on amazon.com right now: $370. Too small for me.

Asus MB168B+ is 15" and USB driven. I don't like that. The build DisplayLink chip requires drivers and doesn't work at all with Linux or any mobile device. A bit small but if it was not USB I would think about it. But since it is I don't need to.

At 17" you can find these http://www.nextcomputing.com/products/portable-monitors and similar industrial babies. At $1250 a piece I am skipping them.

At 19" or so you can find tablet-monitor crosses, I would mention the Sharp LL-S201A, the Asus PT201Q and the Huion GT-220. For me the sweet spot lies here, the size is small enough to put in your carry on backpack but it's very usable. These are hideously expensive too, expect 4-800 USD.

Going bigger you can find the 22" AOC e2251Fwu (which I had) which is USB with all its disadvantages and the 23" AOC E2351F which was my go-to piece. Both of these have very innovative, lightweight stands and the GearGrip Wide is a perfect sized cover to protect the monitor while inside your suitcase. The E2351F doesn't fit in any sane carry on backpack, not even the Rush 72 which is borderline insane. I did carry it on in the Magma Rolltop Backpack II but who said I am sane and I really didn't like the experience.

The dream would be a 19.5" monitor with the thickness, weight and stand of the mentioned AOC. But noone makes a 19.5"-ish plain monitor with a full HD resolution. The reality is I nabbed a Sharp LL-201A for an agreeable price off eBay and I made a stand out of Lego (do not laugh) based on http://www.instructables.com/id/Lego...-Tablet-Stand/ this. You can buy lego piece by piece for very cheap and I provided the parts list there. The Sharp fits in the eBags Mother Lode TLS so I readily presume it'll fit in any "convertible carry on" category backpack (Aeronaut, Air Boss etc).

Hunion is releasing the GT-185HD next week
Amazon Amazon
which looks rather interesting size wise. If I didn't invest in that Sharp already this might be my choice -- but I would wait for a used one because the price makes my eye water.

Ask away, I have been flying uncounted number of flights and miles with a monitor.

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 10, 15 at 12:46 am
Old Jul 11, 15, 10:03 pm

A couple of things:
The ASUS works well (my entire team has them), but make sure your USB port has enough juice to run it. The Surface Pro and some ultrabooks can't boot up the monitor.

I carry a two-usb y-cable to run off the USB port on the power block, or a powered USB hub.
Amazon Amazon

Also, the carry case is atrocious as a stand. Use one of these:
Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 12, 15, 12:11 am

> The ASUS works well

Under Windows, I presume. I guess they couldn't sell a lot if that wouldn't be the case... but again, try any non-Windows device. I am only trying to warn people because they might have no idea what they are getting into: this USB driven monitor uses a proprietary technology of DisplayLink, standardized and recognized by exactly noone. If DisplayLink gives you a working driver for your particular OS then that's good (until of course you actually want to push something like an action movie over it...)

You can't buy a cheap Android stick to watch Netflix in your hotel. Etc. Nothing. Windows or bust. On Mac, the mere act of plugging in your monitor might crash the Apple Window server and they do not currently have a resolution. Not even 10.8 has a stable driver, only a beta.

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 12, 15 at 12:24 am
Old Jul 12, 15, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology View Post
Lenovo makes a couple, the LT1421 and LT1423, both are 14" DisplayLink connected, but the 1423 also has a wireless connection and our users prefer them to the AOC. They ship with either a folio or a plastic travel cover.
I can vouch for the Lenovo 14" screens, mine shipped with the plastic travel cover and it's an ideal travel combination. ^
Old Jul 14, 15, 3:26 am

The hotel TV. Many hotels now have TVs with DVI/HDMI inputs. There are quite a few destinations where I just connect my cell phone up to the TV and use a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard and remote into my office's desktop or my laptop left at the office.

I've also bought monitors at thrift shops before.
Old Jul 14, 15, 7:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
The hotel TV. Many hotels now have TVs with DVI/HDMI inputs. There are quite a few destinations where I just connect my cell phone up to the TV and use a Bluetooth mouse & keyboard and remote into my office's desktop or my laptop left at the office.

I've also bought monitors at thrift shops before.
This. I've always just used the hotel TV. Although, some chains are really good at locking out the HDMI ports physically or in the settings - the majority are OK. I make sure I leave them a strong review if they block the HDMI ports - that's nothing but a tactic to get you to buy their overpriced movies.
Old Mar 18, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA
Hasn't even hit Kickstarter yet, but something to keep an eye on: http://www.gizmag.com/spud-pop-up-screen/42350/
Old Mar 18, 16, 2:57 pm

LOL that's a projector. Good luck working with that.
Old Sep 29, 16, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by allanak View Post
I've got an ASUS MB168B+ and love it when I'm on the road. Make sure you get the "+" model if you care about the resolution as it's 1080p whereas the other is far less. It's USB 3.0 powered and the case doubles as the monitor stand. Fits in my backpack no problem.
I just picked one up on Amazon for $180.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: