Wiki Posts
Search

Unlocking an old iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Unlocking an old iPhone

Did the search, and yeah, I see some old threads on this, but nothing newer/exactly on point.

My dad updated his iPhone, go the new 6, and was about to throw out his old 5. I took it.

The phone meets all the qualifications for unlocking via ATT for free.

But when you fill out the ATT unlock request form, it asks for info such as SSN, phone #, account info, etc..

The problem is, when you fill out that info, ATT thinks I"m trying to unlock his current iPhone 6.

There is no option re: unlocking the old iPhone 5.

Frankly, it's a hassle.

So either: (1) who knows an ATT workaround, and (2) who knows a reputable online unlocking service?!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
I've had a number of older iPhones unlocked - the IMEI # is unique to the specific phone being unlocked - you should be entering the IMEI of the iPhone 5 not the iPhone 6.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire

Frankly, it's a hassle.

So either: (1) who knows an ATT workaround, and (2) who knows a reputable online unlocking service?!
Frankly, it isn't a hassle. It's very easy and I've done it a number of times. You don't need either one of your two "workarounds". Have your Dad, or you can pretend that you're him, call ATT, if you can't do it online. As fmstr said, give them the IMEI number of the old phone. For me, it was quick and painless when I called.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Frankly, it isn't a hassle. It's very easy and I've done it a number of times. You don't need either one of your two "workarounds". Have your Dad, or you can pretend that you're him, call ATT, if you can't do it online. As fmstr said, give them the IMEI number of the old phone. For me, it was quick and painless when I called.
As far as T is concerned dad still owns the phone. If that phone is current all dad needs to do is ask T to unlock it. They will contact apple and all you will need to do is re-set the phone.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
You don't need to call. Just make sure you enter the correct IMEI, as others have said. It's simple and painless. You DO have to reset the phone via iTunes after you get the confirmation email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.