Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Just got back from Italy where I found I had rather bad/slow data in the Florence area. Was worse than some third world countries I have roamed in.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by wdwright
There is a 1/2 price sale on the Pixel 3's. Requires activation. April 22 only.
Damn I was in the market for a deal and missed this, are you getting emails from Fi? I don't seem to get anything
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Just got back from London where I had 100+mbps download speeds nearly everywhere I ran a test. Was great.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
Damn I was in the market for a deal and missed this, are you getting emails from Fi? I don't seem to get anything
I got that offer after I signed up on the Fi website for offers and news.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Vigur island Iceland, 5 bars LTE. 6 mbs down, oddly enough through a server in Wichita Kansas

Last edited by boerne; Jun 20, 2019 at 3:55 am Reason: Added data
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Recently traveled to Ireland (rural, northwest), Madrid, and Lisbon. Had pretty decent data speeds almost everywhere. Didn't measure it, but was always able to get maps and run Google's AR walking directions.

Upon return from the trip, we switched from Google Fi to a regular T-Mobile 4-line plan. My international non-business travel needs for the next six months are lower, and it just wasn't worth paying such a high premium for Fi. One thing I have immediately noticed is that my data speeds and call quality are higher at home on T-Mo than they were on Fi, even though I'm pretty sure Fi was running over the same network (?). For a domestic unlimited plan, T-Mobile seems like the best option going, as all of the other resellers and Sprint have lots of caveats, extra fees, really low throttles, or other "gotchas". And T-Mo gave us one kinda-free-ish iPhone XR in exchange for an old Sprint iPhone 6s that I never could get them to unlock anyway.

Fi was great for the kinda-free-ish Pixel 3's in the Black Friday deal, but is too expensive for regular U.S. use even if you're reasonably diligent about finding Wifi throughout the day. Definitely a good thing to have during periods of extensive travel.
estnet and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
One thing I have immediately noticed is that my data speeds and call quality are higher at home on T-Mo than they were on Fi, even though I'm pretty sure Fi was running over the same network (?).
Presuming you were using a fully Fi compatible phone (and it sounds like you were), then it will be using both the Sprint and T-mobile network - apparently with a preference for Sprint.

If you're using a non-Fi phone then it'll use T-mobile only.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming you were using a fully Fi compatible phone (and it sounds like you were), then it will be using both the Sprint and T-mobile network - apparently with a preference for Sprint.

If you're using a non-Fi phone then it'll use T-mobile only.
We had both: three Pixels plus a GSM iPhone 7. Never crossed my mind to do a side-by-side test of them.

Bit ironic that the very devices so closely associated with and designed in part for Fi are directed to run on an inferior network, likely performing worse than other devices.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by boerne
Vigur island Iceland, 5 bars LTE. 6 mbs down, oddly enough through a server in Wichita Kansas
That probably means you had the Google VPN on, so your location was obscured to the speed test site.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Bit ironic that the very devices so closely associated with and designed in part for Fi are directed to run on an inferior network, likely performing worse than other devices.
There are codes you can "dial" to force a network switch, and associated helper apps (eg Signal Spy, FiSwitch).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:33 pm

Recently traveled to Ireland (rural, northwest), Madrid, and Lisbon. Had pretty decent data speeds almost everywhere. Didn't measure it, but was always able to get maps and run Google's AR walking directions.

Upon return from the trip, we switched from Google Fi to a regular T-Mobile 4-line plan. My international non-business travel needs for the next six months are lower, and it just wasn't worth paying such a high premium for Fi. One thing I have immediately noticed is that my data speeds and call quality are higher at home on T-Mo than they were on Fi, even though I'm pretty sure Fi was running over the same network (?). For a domestic unlimited plan, T-Mobile seems like the best option going, as all of the other resellers and Sprint have lots of caveats, extra fees, really low throttles, or other "gotchas". And T-Mo gave us one kinda-free-ish iPhone XR in exchange for an old Sprint iPhone 6s that I never could get them to unlock anyway.

Fi was great for the kinda-free-ish Pixel 3's in the Black Friday deal, but is too expensive for regular U.S. use even if you're reasonably diligent about finding Wifi throughout the day. Definitely a good thing to have during periods of extensive travel.
If you don't use a lot of data domestically, Fi is not that bad. I use about 1GB a month.. so my bill is like $30. I also have Tmobile One Plus for my family... I think on average is about $30 per line. So I kept my Fi line.. and a bunch of free data SIMs. When we travel internationally, I can put data sims on all the their iPhones. And now everyone got fast LTE internet for total of $60 max per month. The data sims are also great when friends came visit from oversea. Here is a sim.. data on me.. LOL.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Akureyri Iceland 5 bars LTE 11 down, no VPN still routes through Wichita
2 people on our plan, $51 last month. WiFi switching is pretty seamless
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: *G
surprise, i tried to sign up for venmo which required SMS authentication... venmo refused my standalone googlevoice number, but also my google fi number!

i know there exists some sort of database or tag on certain numbers, because while GV works most of the time, certain 2FA authentication services rejects GV (or the message does not go through). im surprised for it to happen with the FI number.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Need
If you don't use a lot of data domestically, Fi is not that bad. I use about 1GB a month.. so my bill is like $30. I also have Tmobile One Plus for my family... I think on average is about $30 per line. So I kept my Fi line.. and a bunch of free data SIMs. When we travel internationally, I can put data sims on all the their iPhones. And now everyone got fast LTE internet for total of $60 max per month. The data sims are also great when friends came visit from oversea. Here is a sim.. data on me.. LOL.
Yeah, we use about 20-25GB per month even when we're set up for our usual home/work Wifi networks. I travel a lot domestically for work so I'm the main culprit, but my teenage daughters aren't far behind me.

Is a data-only eSIM a thing? I have Pixel 3's that now have a physical T-Mobile SIM in them. But if I wanted to, could I sign up for data-only via Fi just for my international trips? T-Mobile includes free 2G data almost everywhere in the world, but even their buy-up speeds aren't that great. I'd pay $10/gig to get LTE as long as I can turn it on and off when I want.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:34 pm

AIS Sim2Fly has an international roaming eSIM geared towards data roaming. 3HK does, too, and allows you to consume data usage by day non-consecutively. Both seem to have good data offerings in Asia.

Fi has a more coverage but there isn't a data only e-sim. Fi service requires a voice + sms line which does support eSIM so you could just use that. Min monthly cost is about $22 depending on taxes and fees without data use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.