Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
For those that are looking for a Pixel deal.

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I can’t tell if that’s an extra 200$ off the prices listed or the price presented is just 200$ off the orighnal list. Which would really just make it 50$ more off the current discounted retail.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
That had to be one of the greatest phone sign up deals ever,
Did you have to pay sales tax on the list price or ,???
It was a reasonably good deal, although I recall much better ones in the past.

The way I calculate it, I got three new Pixel 3's for about $150-200 per phone. That factors in the sales tax, the elevated cost of using Fi (vs. better plans) for 120 days, the cost of fronting $3000, and the rate at which I actually book and take Southwest flights.

In the modern era of mostly BYOD plans, that's not bad. We've been really happy with the Pixels. I like it a lot better than the Galaxies I've been using for a few years. Pixels have almost nothing preloaded that I don't actually use.

Only weird thing is that my 3 gift card emails all arrived on different dates, even though I activated all three phones within minutes of each other. (Plus a SIM in an existing iPhone.)
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
It was a reasonably good deal, although I recall much better ones in the past.

The way I calculate it, I got three new Pixel 3's for about $150-200 per phone. That factors in the sales tax, the elevated cost of using Fi (vs. better plans) for 120 days, the cost of fronting $3000, and the rate at which I actually book and take Southwest flights.

In the modern era of mostly BYOD plans, that's not bad. We've been really happy with the Pixels. I like it a lot better than the Galaxies I've been using for a few years. Pixels have almost nothing preloaded that I don't actually use.

Only weird thing is that my 3 gift card emails all arrived on different dates, even though I activated all three phones within minutes of each other. (Plus a SIM in an existing iPhone.)
I still haven't seen my gift card show up, but I seem to have qualified as expected. My problem is, I really wanted an XL and only ordered the regular pixel 3. Now i've got to flip the 3 and buy an XL. Would love to see if this deal above actually nets out to less than 500$. I'd do that probably for a brand new device.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:56 pm

I got my card two days ago.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I still haven't seen my gift card show up, but I seem to have qualified as expected. My problem is, I really wanted an XL and only ordered the regular pixel 3. Now i've got to flip the 3 and buy an XL. Would love to see if this deal above actually nets out to less than 500$. I'd do that probably for a brand new device.
I got one XL and two regular Pixels. The XL was included, although I don't recall if every variant of every phone was. We just ordered base models of each. (I seem to recall an expanded memory option, right?)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:55 am

I got the email about my Black Friday Price Match.

Congratulations! You have met all the requirements to earn Fi credit for the Black Friday price match promotion. This credit, which is the difference in the Travel on Fi and Black Friday promotional values, will automatically apply to upcoming bills. You can find it on your Billing tab (it will be labeled Black Friday price match).
If you have existing Fi credits on your account, please note that it may take a few billing cycle(s) to see your price match credits display. It will be applied after you have used all your current credits!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Anyone else still missing their Travel on Fi GC link email?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Anyone else still missing their Travel on Fi GC link email?
Got mine on Friday.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:09 am

I finally got all three of mine on different dates. The phones were purchased in one order, shipped together, and activated within minutes of each other.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
No email/link for me yet. I activated Dec 7, so this is day 89 for me.

The page at https://fi.google.com/account#specialpromo shows the purchase, activate, and transfer tasks all completed, so I'm not worried yet.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The DL & AirBNB purchases are for set amount gift cards. For Example $25, $50, $100 & $250. The Hotels.com portal allows you to dictate an exact price, such at $123.45, for purchases I don't use WN so not sure how that works.
My redemptions via DL, AirBNB & Hotels.com were near instant to get the e-gift cards.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The DL & AirBNB purchases are for set amount gift cards. For Example $25, $50, $100 & $250. The Hotels.com portal allows you to dictate an exact price, such at $123.45, for purchases I don't use WN so not sure how that works.
My redemptions via DL, AirBNB & Hotels.com were near instant to get the e-gift cards.
Were you able to redeem across multiple cards? That would be neat.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:52 am

Like getting 1-$250 & 1- $50 DL card, 1- $181.82 & 1-$332.64 from hotels.com & a $100 AirBNB e-card? If so, yes. DL also allows use of up to 3 gift cards per transaction.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Were you able to redeem across multiple cards? That would be neat.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag
No email/link for me yet. I activated Dec 7, so this is day 89 for me.

The page at https://fi.google.com/account#specialpromo shows the purchase, activate, and transfer tasks all completed, so I'm not worried yet.
And, 6 hours after I posted, the email has arrived.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.