Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:31 am

I wish they would sell international only sims ,

I would love to try it but it's not worth $20 a month for the free calls / texts in the USA , I already have that covered.
König likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:32 am

Double post
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I wish they would sell international only sims ,

I would love to try it but it's not worth $20 a month for the free calls / texts in the USA , I already have that covered.
Just pause it when you aren't traveling.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Just pause it when you aren't traveling.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en
But when u pause it can people leave vm? I"m one of the one's that transferred my primary number before I realized I shouldn't have done that - is there any way to leave a vm that people could hear when I'm on pause?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

I don't believe you can receive a VM when your account is paused.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I don't believe you can receive a VM when your account is paused.
No I didn't expect to be able to receive a vm -just wondered if I could LEAVE - a message like "this number is unavailable until..... if u want to reach me please email...
Does anyone know what a caller hears when they call a number you have suspended?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I just tried my suspended account and it said the call could not be completed as dialed.

Originally Posted by estnet
No I didn't expect to be able to receive a vm -just wondered if I could LEAVE - a message like "this number is unavailable until..... if u want to reach me please email...
Does anyone know what a caller hears when they call a number you have suspended?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I just tried my suspended account and it said the call could not be completed as dialed.
Thanks so much - saved me from having to test it myself !!! I really appreciate the help.
Yoshi212 and LAXlocal like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Flawlessly working in both Singapore and Thailand. Laos and Philippines next.

one interesting point, I’m using my moto x4 as a hotspot for my British iPhone. I noticed when opening Netflix while tethered I got the US selection of programs, and while on local WiFi some shows were missing, I guess that vpn thing works pretty well then.

I was going to get local sims. But now near the 6gb mark and incremental data basically being free I’m debating bothering.

i have a spare mobile data sim with me, so might just stick that in my iPhone, since I don’t need to make or receive voice calls.

do I need to change apn settings myself with the data sim, or will it just work?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by aceman

one interesting point, I’m using my moto x4 as a hotspot for my British iPhone. I noticed when opening Netflix while tethered I got the US selection of programs, and while on local WiFi some shows were missing, I guess that vpn thing works pretty well then.

I was going to get local sims. But now near the 6gb mark and incremental data basically being free I’m debating bothering.

i have a spare mobile data sim with me, so might just stick that in my iPhone, since I don’t need to make or receive voice calls.

do I need to change apn settings myself with the data sim, or will it just work?
It didn't auto populate the iphone for me. I have to manually set the APN. I followed the first link came up on google search:
https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/s...phone-0174991/
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

It may have worked for you in Thailand but I was there for a month with a galaxy s8 which had worked fine with tmo and sprint.
With Fi I could NOT make or receive any calls on the phone despite extensive trouble shooting with support. This means I may have missed some vm.
Data did work fine. Since google also BLOCKS hangouts in Thailand I had to use other means - no exactly the experience I was hoping for
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:50 pm

It worked great in Fiji and Oz with a Pixel 3. My wife's LTE iPad worked perfectly also with one of my Fi data SIMs.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Feb 18, 2019 at 2:37 pm Reason: Added devices used per request of other poster.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:54 pm

How or where Fi works seems VERY tied to whether you have a Fi or Fi "compatible" phone.
I think posting which phone you are using when posting results would be very helpful!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

How is that Moto X4 as a hotspot? The price is really right and I'm thinking about getting that instead of a MiFi.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:11 pm

Looks like Google Fi website is selling the Moto X4 at $149 , if you start a new account, I am not sure about if you already have an account.
I really only want a dual SIM phone if I am buying to use with Fi , hopefully the cheaper Motos will start adding that.....
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.