Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So as I understand it I cannot make wifi calls from other countries TO the US since I'll be using a "compatible" phone.

If this is true how do I avoid having to pay for robo calls when I am out of the country? I usually put phone in airplane mode and use wifi when available and only put airplane mode off when I use data for maps, etc.

So I'll have to use skype to call to the US rather than pay .20/minute? (haven't used google voice but maybe that is also an option?)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What's the catch?

I'm looking to get new phones, and was completely disappointed in Black Friday / Cyber Monday.

We have a 4-line account on Sprint, own our phones outright. Three Android users and one iPhone user.

From reading this offer, it looks like I could get 4 free(ish) Pixel 3XL's, port my four lines, and only be locked into Fi for four months. My iPhone user might hate it for a while, but it looks like I could ESN-swap her back to iPhone at some point. (It's a compatible phone, albeit in "beta" according to Project Fi.)

I might need to practice a little better data discipline to keep my monthly fee at my current level, but that's doable. (Right now I pay no attention to data, even though we have great wifi and home and office and could configure phones to use fairly little on the cell network.)

If I'm not liking it after 4 months, I port to someone else's BYOD plan.

Is there a catch I'm missing? Burning through WN GCs would be pretty easy for me to do.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by estnet
So as I understand it I cannot make wifi calls from other countries TO the US since I'll be using a "compatible" phone.
I think you can VPN your way around this though.

So I'll have to use skype to call to the US rather than pay .20/minute? (haven't used google voice but maybe that is also an option?)
there is a separate Google Hangouts Dialer app that works for this too.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by swag
And as a new Fi customer, when I opted to port my existing number, it said that with this option, I would permanently lose my existing Google Voice number. That's a nuisance, and not sure why, but I use it only rarely, so worth the tradeoff.
Yes, I got the same thing, but I contacted Google Fi and you can get around it. The reason you lose the GV number is because that GV number is associated with your Google Account that was used for Google Fi. The Google account you used to join Google Fi cannot have 2 GV numbers: the GV number AND the mobile number you are porting in. So what you need to do is to create another Google Account (or find another existing google account without a GV number). On that new Google Account, opt in to Google voice term and service. Now go to your GV account on the Old Google account and "transfer" (There is option for that) your GV number to the new Google Account. Once transferred to the new account, your GV will be saved when you port in your mobile number to the original Google account.

Now you just need to update your hangout app to use the new Google account. Keep in mind that new GV account won't have your call/voicemal/message history. They still show up on your old account, but to manage the GV number, you need to use the new account.
König likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

Fi Now Supports iPhone

Google Fi App is now in the Apple App Store. It supports activation, MMS configuration, etc. Not sure that you can access Sprint or US Cellular. As a matter of fact, I would tend to doubt it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...413936031?mt=8

Here is a little more information:

https://fi.google.com/luna?p=features

Stu

PS: I also bought a Pixel because their gift card offer made it was effectively free.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Nov 28, 2018 at 4:03 pm Reason: Adding INformation
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Need
Yes, I got the same thing, but I contacted Google Fi and you can get around it. The reason you lose the GV number is because that GV number is associated with your Google Account that was used for Google Fi. The Google account you used to join Google Fi cannot have 2 GV numbers: the GV number AND the mobile number you are porting in. So what you need to do is to create another Google Account (or find another existing google account without a GV number). On that new Google Account, opt in to Google voice term and service. Now go to your GV account on the Old Google account and "transfer" (There is option for that) your GV number to the new Google Account. Once transferred to the new account, your GV will be saved when you port in your mobile number to the original Google account.

Now you just need to update your hangout app to use the new Google account. Keep in mind that new GV account won't have your call/voicemal/message history. They still show up on your old account, but to manage the GV number, you need to use the new account.
Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Google Fi App is now in the Apple App Store. It supports activation, MMS configuration, etc. Not sure that you can access Sprint or US Cellular. As a matter of fact, I would tend to doubt it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...413936031?mt=8

Here is a little more information:

https://fi.google.com/luna?p=features

Stu

PS: I also bought a Pixel because their gift card offer made it was effectively free.
Fi on iPhone is confirmed T-Mobile only. Which is fine with me because Sprint us useless* in my area.

*Being compared to Sprint service is an insult to all things useless.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:29 am

If this is true how do I avoid having to pay for robo calls when I am out of the country? I usually put phone in airplane mode and use wifi when available and only put airplane mode off when I use data for maps, etc.

Turn on Hangouts integration and use the Hangouts dialer to force it to call over data*. Depending on the particular phone, you might get lucky and have wifi calling work anyway, though. Definitely use airplane mode or Hangouts to force wifi--I've had it hand a call from wifi to cellular in my living room, resulting in a dent in my wallet

...and just don't answer robo-calls. Sending them to voicemail is still free.

*this trick also works when you're away from wifi--instead of paying 20c/min for voice calls, Hangouts uses only about a meg a minute so 20c will get you 20 minutes instead of one.
estnet likes this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 29, 2018 at 3:39 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, I pulled the trigger and signed up for Project Fi. 3 sorta free-ish Pixel 3XLs and a $200 credit for porting an iPhone. The maximum risk over 4 months, vs my existing Sprint bill, isn't much more than the $200 service credit. So even if we can't figure out data discipline well enough to make Fi work long term, I'll come out about even cash-wise on the plan itself over the 4 month commitment.

One thing to note: even though the phones are backordered and won't arrive until December 10th, I had to front the payment and front the sales tax on all three phones. The gift cards appear to be issued after the four months, and do not cover the sales tax. In my calculations, I assume it will take me 6 months to consume a little under $3,000 worth of Southwest flights and an even flow of $500/mo.

They appear to finance the phones for "free" if you are willing to give 'em a credit pull.

So these aren't really FREE phones, but they're still good phones for pretty cheap and we'll have freedom to shop BYOD plans next year if we need to.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:20 am

Anyone have a rec for a simple LTE phone that works with Google Fi that I can basically use as a Wifi hotspot?

I know the data-only SIMs don't support tethering, so I assume that means I need the main SIM with a real phone. I'm just looking for a cheap way to use that main SIM as a hotspot.

I'd buy just an LTE MiFi if anyone knows for sure that a main Fi SIM will work in it and allow tethering.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Anyone have a rec for a simple LTE phone that works with Google Fi that I can basically use as a Wifi hotspot?

I know the data-only SIMs don't support tethering, so I assume that means I need the main SIM with a real phone. I'm just looking for a cheap way to use that main SIM as a hotspot.

I'd buy just an LTE MiFi if anyone knows for sure that a main Fi SIM will work in it and allow tethering.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've used a data only SIM in
this this
with no issues before. I imagine it'd work in other MiFi-type devices as well unless Google changed their policies recently.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped
One thing to note: even though the phones are backordered and won't arrive until December 10th, I had to front the payment and front the sales tax on all three phones. The gift cards appear to be issued after the four months, and do not cover the sales tax.
My order confirmation email says "We'll let you know when your order is on its way, and you won't be charged until it ships. " The charge does show on my credit card but it's listed as "pending"; I assume it won't move to posted until it ships.

The gift card T&C said "the customer will receive an email from Google Fi (around 75 - 90 days after device activation) with instructions on how to obtain a gift card" but also "If Fi service is paused for more than 7 days or cancelled within 120 days of activation, the value of the gift card will be charged to your Google Payments account to match the purchased price of the device."

So you shouldn't have to wait four months to get the gift card, but you need to keep the service for the full four months or you'll end up paying for them.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:55 am

I have a Fi data SIM in an unlocked hotspot. It works just fine.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Turn on Hangouts integration and use the Hangouts dialer to force it to call over data*. Depending on the particular phone, you might get lucky and have wifi calling work anyway, though. Definitely use airplane mode or Hangouts to force wifi--I've had it hand a call from wifi to cellular in my living room, resulting in a dent in my wallet

...and just don't answer robo-calls. Sending them to voicemail is still free.

*this trick also works when you're away from wifi--instead of paying 20c/min for voice calls, Hangouts uses only about a meg a minute so 20c will get you 20 minutes instead of one.
Thanks, but I'm still confused - below it says that you lose hangouts (phone number (post #694 ) and have to open a new account to get a new number -BUT- I've never had hangouts so does this mean I can add it (it looks like I have to chose a different number than my phone).
I never answer robo calls but I wasn't sure if they went to voicemail when I am overseas if I'd get charged for the time the voicemail is recorded (if they bother), because I read that I would be. Also not clear if I have to call to receive vm (as I do now) when I am overseas.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:10 pm

Did anyone who ordered yesterday receive any emails about the promotion after the order? Seems like on reddit some people got a confirmation of the promotion, I did not, and ordered well before the deal expired (deal expired at 7pm pst, I ordered 1pm eastern). Google's customer service and handling of promotions like this has been awful in the past, just hoping I don't have to end up fighting to get this deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.