Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Anyone know if they're replacing Pixel 1s for battery life issues? I think the battery life on my old Iphone 4 was better
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by HGHUA
FYI, didn't see this posted yet but if you are using a Nexus 6P and are experiencing Battery or Bootloop issues, google is now replacing them with BRAND NEW 128GB Pixel XL. Even if you're out of warranty. Had to family way out of warranty and they replaced both with Pixel XLs with priority shipping. Return the old one after you get it.
Well that’s BS... I had the battery life and early shutdown issue on my Nexus 6P and was told tough luck, so I sold and replaced it at my own expense! And now a later post says the Pixel has the same issue? I’m sure never buying a Google-branded handset again...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by NYTA
Anyone know if they're replacing Pixel 1s for battery life issues? I think the battery life on my old Iphone 4 was better
Look for Rogue apps draining battery. Under the battery settings you can see what is draining your battery life. For the past two weeks, by batter life was horrible. Turns out the "Daily Mail" App was doing god-knows what in the background... since I deleted that APP, I'm back to the way it was.

I'd also recommend doing a factory reset. 99% of the time, it is some APP related issue... not the hardware.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:08 pm

Just got back from a trip to Taiwan. Used data only sim and got decent performance. I seemed to always have a connection, but it was on 3G. However the speed was enough for my needs (maps/browsing FT/imessage). Not sure why it wasn't on LTE, but that's okay.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That page says "not available" in VN.
The bottom half shows rates for calling VN from the US.

Code:
These are the rates for using Project Fi in Vietnam:

Data, calls, and texts over cellular networks are not available.

SMS over Wi-Fi Unlimited

These are the rates when contacting Vietnam from the US:

Voice calls See rates
SMS Unlimited

-David

The Sim cards for data and voice etc. are super cheap in Vietnam.

worked great for our trip.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The "Bill Protection" (https://www.blog.google/products/pro...ll-protection/) feature announced today is pretty cool. An unlimited plan during the times you'll be using lots of data (throttling begins at 15 GB), but the same old pay per use when you don't.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The "Bill Protection" (https://www.blog.google/products/pro...ll-protection/) feature announced today is pretty cool. An unlimited plan during the times you'll be using lots of data (throttling begins at 15 GB), but the same old pay per use when you don't.
What an odd way to market this: "Bill Protection".

So for an individual user:
0G - 6GB: $10/G
6GB - 15GB: Free
>15GB: Throttled (256k)

Is that correct?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That's rather appealing especially considering when using a Data Only sim in a tablet and a phone for the same capped price.
Looks good for group plans too.

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Cancelled my Fi service. T-mo and Sprint didn't work in my new building in Miami and Google wouldn't do anything about it. When I was a T-Mo customer they supplied me with a booster for my home. Google said they do not do that. So I cancelled and went over to AT&T and now service works on my Pixel. Will swap back when traveling abroad for any length of time.

Fi is excellent internationally but I find it lacking domestically.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Did Wifi calling not have an impact on your service level? I have Sprint for my main phone with their free 1 year of service promotion but in my new apartment the service is not great but with wifi calling it's remedied.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Cancelled my Fi service. T-mo and Sprint didn't work in my new building in Miami and Google wouldn't do anything about it. When I was a T-Mo customer they supplied me with a booster for my home. Google said they do not do that. So I cancelled and went over to AT&T and now service works on my Pixel. Will swap back when traveling abroad for any length of time.

Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Did Wifi calling not have an impact on your service level? I have Sprint for my main phone with their free 1 year of service promotion but in my new apartment the service is not great but with wifi calling it's remedied.
Wifi wouldn't work. The phone saw multiple bars and kept attempting to use the cellular service thinking it was connected well when it was not. Weeks of working with Fi technical support unearthed nothing but incompetent folks on their end. AT&T it is. Works great now.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Wouldn't and can't are two different things.

They can't force either tmobile or sprint to build a site, and there is probably a reason why neither has done so yet. Tmobile offers their customers plenty of network extras, boosers and femto cells, as does sprint at&t and Verizon. Mvnos are a bit more restricted, Google would need to figure out thhe strongest across three carriers, and stock those. There's nothing that prevented you from getting a Wilson yagi antenna that would work across all carriers. Or, do as you had done, simply switch carriers.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:00 pm

Remember you have roaming on Verizon in most laces at 3g.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner

Wouldn't and can't are two different things.

They can't force either tmobile or sprint to build a site, and there is probably a reason why neither has done so yet. Tmobile offers their customers plenty of network extras, boosers and femto cells, as does sprint at&t and Verizon. Mvnos are a bit more restricted, Google would need to figure out thhe strongest across three carriers, and stock those. There's nothing that prevented you from getting a Wilson yagi antenna that would work across all carriers. Or, do as you had done, simply switch carriers.
Surely, google could've offered a booster. T-Mo did. Google could. Nothing "can't" about it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Surely, google could've offered a booster. T-Mo did. Google could. Nothing "can't" about it.
google has no network control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.