Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Interesting, Vietnam is listed as a country with service:
https://fi.google.com/about/rates/?country=VN

Did you try to manually connect to each provider shown?

btw - on another note, the UK is truly difficult with Fi when outside the major cities. Fi does NOT allow one to connect to EE, vodafone or O2. It will only connect with Nova. And Nova does not have good coverage in Scotland. I have been traveling around the Highlands and Hebrides without service for days
This seems strange - I've never heard of Nova in the UK, and neither has Google (search). Perhaps you mean Three?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:31 pm

Did you try to manually connect to each provider shown?

btw - on another note, the UK is truly difficult with Fi when outside the major cities. Fi does NOT allow one to connect to EE, vodafone or O2. It will only connect with Nova. And Nova does not have good coverage in Scotland. I have been traveling around the Highlands and Hebrides without service for days
That's new. I may be misremembering, but I thought the last time I checked, Tmobile had VN but Fi didn't. The last time I checked was over a year ago, but good to know.

Thanks for posting that!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:14 pm

That page says "not available" in VN.
The bottom half shows rates for calling VN from the US.

Code:
These are the rates for using Project Fi in Vietnam:

Data, calls, and texts over cellular networks are not available.

SMS over Wi-Fi	Unlimited

These are the rates when contacting Vietnam from the US:

Voice calls	See rates
 SMS	Unlimited
-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 2, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This seems strange - I've never heard of Nova in the UK, and neither has Google (search). Perhaps you mean Three?
Originally Posted by eeflyer
That's new. I may be misremembering, but I thought the last time I checked, Tmobile had VN but Fi didn't. The last time I checked was over a year ago, but good to know.

Thanks for posting that!
Can't say - I never heard of Nova either. Here is a photo of the available networks in Scotland. The only one it will connect to is "nova". It will not connect to the others even though I have tried each separately in numerous spots across the country, numerous times.

Nova was the code word for Fi a few years ago. Perhaps in the UK Nova piggybacks on the other providers but isn't actually a provider itself? Hard to believe that though since there were always at least one of those networks available in Scotland and yet, when the "Nova" line didn't appear I had no service.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That page says "not available" in VN.
The bottom half shows rates for calling VN from the US.

Code:
These are the rates for using Project Fi in Vietnam:

Data, calls, and texts over cellular networks are not available.

SMS over Wi-Fi	Unlimited

These are the rates when contacting Vietnam from the US:

Voice calls	See rates
 SMS	Unlimited
-David
Yes, you are correct, not sure why Google shows that page. Here is a list of the 135 supported countries - and Vietnam is not one of them:

Perhaps we should add this link as a "wiki" to the front of this post?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yes, you are correct, not sure why Google shows that page.
Because SMS over WiFi is supported and is unlimited.

Here is a list of the 135 supported countries - and Vietnam is not one of them:

Perhaps we should add this link as a "wiki" to the front of this post?
Done.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Anyone notice that this month they have used more data then normal? This is the first month in well over a year that I am almost at my data limit. I have 2 other friends who have also made a comment about it.

Just throwing it out there?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Anyone notice that this month they have used more data then normal? This is the first month in well over a year that I am almost at my data limit. I have 2 other friends who have also made a comment about it.

Just throwing it out there?
are you using the oreo beta? if so, see:
https://betanews.com/2017/09/06/andr...eo-data-usage/

mine was enabled, and my data is quite a bit higher than normal..by like 4 gigs..so not real happy about spending $40 more this month..
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by devans999

mine was enabled, and my data is quite a bit higher than normal..by like 4 gigs..so not real happy about spending $40 more this month..
4 gigs??? yeah I would be pissed. Was that even while on wifi?

Didnt know anything about Oreo beta?! Will have a look. I haven't done anything unseal so just odd Im at the top end of my monthly allowance. Oh well, will keep a close eye on it now.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
FYI, didn't see this posted yet but if you are using a Nexus 6P and are experiencing Battery or Bootloop issues, google is now replacing them with BRAND NEW 128GB Pixel XL. Even if you're out of warranty. Had to family way out of warranty and they replaced both with Pixel XLs with priority shipping. Return the old one after you get it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Is there an email or a posting about this policy somewhere? I'd spent the $250 bucks on ebay for a 6P to get a pixel XL

Added: from Android Authority "The official thread for Nexus 6P RMA-related issues states that if you are in Canada, UK, or US and own a faulty Nexus 6P device that was purchased directly from Google, you may be eligible for a free Pixel XL. As long as the screen is not cracked and there is no water damage, you should be able to send in your device and receive a brand-new Pixel XL as a replacement unit. Nope, it doesn’t matter whether you’re out of warranty or not, and nope, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a Project Fi user or not. If you’re in the latter group, you simply continue your payments as if you still owned a Nexus 6P."

Originally Posted by HGHUA
FYI, didn't see this posted yet but if you are using a Nexus 6P and are experiencing Battery or Bootloop issues, google is now replacing them with BRAND NEW 128GB Pixel XL. Even if you're out of warranty. Had to family way out of warranty and they replaced both with Pixel XLs with priority shipping. Return the old one after you get it.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Sep 15, 2017 at 10:38 pm Reason: add info.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Hmm. According to Android Authority, Google has rescinded their offer of replacing faulty Nexus 6Ps with Pixel XLs! http://www.androidauthority.com/goog...owners-800351/

But in other news, I just checked in the Google Store and they now have a buy back feature if you want to trade up. Pixel 2 is expected to be announced on October 4th so I'll hold off for that.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by devans999

If it's a known issue and this is the reason, call Google Fi CS. I'm sure they'll credit you.

As for me, data has been similar pre/post Oreo. However I just uninstalled SpeedTest by Okla. Was on data and did two speed tests... used .15 GB each (thats $3 to run two tests). Ugh.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
moto X4 also can be had with trade in until October 4. I have signed up to trade in my beloved Nexus 6 for a total of $150 trade in value. Not the highest specs but this is my backup travel phone on Fi. It is noted to be on the list to get upgraded to Android P (Oreo before the end of the year.)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by boerne
moto X4 also can be had with trade in until October 4. I have signed up to trade in my beloved Nexus 6 for a total of $150 trade in value. Not the highest specs but this is my backup travel phone on Fi. It is noted to be on the list to get upgraded to Android P (Oreo before the end of the year.)
How sure are you that the N6 will be updated to Oreo? Everything that I saw/read about 6 months ago indicated that Nougat was the end of the line for the N6 unless one flashes a custom ROM, of course.

I have one currently as for one reason or another, the current phones don't impress me too much that I'd consider changing my daily driver. However, the N6 is a little long in the tooth on Nougat so even if the N6 upgrades, I may still be in the market for the Pixel 2 XL pending on specs and my fondness of the purported screen aspect ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.