Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by eleventy
I've got an iPhone 6 and I'm going to Hamburg and London next month. Do I have to switch networks manually (at least between T-Mobile and 3)? Or will it "just work?"
Are you using the regular Fi sim or data only Fi sim ?

I activated the data only Fi Sim initially in our Nexus 5X before travel and tested it briefly, before dropping into the backup iPhone 5S (VZW, factory unlocked.) Next, we took a Bermuda cruise & once we're within range of land towers at Dockyard on the west end & turn it on - it tried to activate once it registered as Fi Network (on Digicel / Welcome to the Caribbeans ... LOL ) but failed as this is data only, changed/manually changed to APN to data, reboot and was ready to go - was still 3G speed then, but worked great.

Making WiFi calls on the iPhone 5S over Fi/T-Mobile international roaming. Total was about $3 for 5 minutes worth of call at 20 cents/minute and about 200 MB data or $2 - offset by reduced data usage @ "home" area so net cost was zero, still had unused allowance rebated the following month ... Happy Camper.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:48 pm

It's really nice to hop off a long flight, and turn off airplane mode and LTE/4g just pops up on the phone in Amsterdam. Made a quick wifi call (using airport wifi) easily enough. Same thing in edinburgh. Speed is pretty good. Obviously out in the highlands of scotland, you'll be lucky to get even 3g, and on skye you'll only get rare glimpses of 3g, usually from the weirdest spots. (like going from nothing to 5 bars of 3g over the span of about 200 yards, out in a field on the coast outside portree, surrounded by tall hills with no civilization in sight.) And not just a 3g signal, but effective access, I was getting emails, surfing web pages etc. The change from 256kb to full speed data is priceless. This is truly a world phone and world plan.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Pro-Tip... if you install Hangouts on your other devices (PC, iPad, Other phones) you'll be able to make and answer calls from those devices as well (via hangouts dialer) as well as send texts call from your FI #. Super convenient IMO.

Second Pro-Tip. you can get one of their free data sims and put it in a secondary device as well. Works brilliantly when roaming.
VOIP calls over Fi haven't been great. In Mexico earlier this week I was pulling ping times of over 600ms over LTE on Telcel. I won't make a VOIP call with over 350ms.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
VOIP calls over Fi haven't been great. In Mexico earlier this week I was pulling ping times of over 600ms over LTE on Telcel. I won't make a VOIP call with over 350ms.
Same issue here in Indonesia. VOIP calls over Fi have been disappointing.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are there b stock base stations sold to carriers in developing country?

Or maybe they space them out farther apart?

Why such poor latency?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:07 pm

anyone get tethering to work with the iPhone while abroad?. I tested the hotspot at home (California) and it worked fine. in Canada and Mexico i have voice and data on the iphone, both work fine but not the hotspot. Any ideas or tips to get it to work?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:26 pm

I also have ATT's coveted unlimited international data plan and made VOIP over HSPA or LTE data calls in 85% in the places where we were at. My speed tests generally had ping times under 150. In Hermosillo, I got a score of 28mps which was my best score.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I realize there's a 2016 What Smartphone Should I Get? thread, but since choices are limited for Project Fi users, I figured I'd throw the question out here.

My Nexus 6 USB port stopped working -- and I've already replaced it twice under warranty for the exact same issue. Right now I'm getting by with wireless charging, but it's slow. And I have a trip to Amsterdam on Oct. 7 where wireless charging won't be particularly convenient given that I'll be out and about most days.

For the past several years my phone purchases haven't coincided with new phone announcements, so I've bought dated technology. I was planning to wait until the Oct. 3 (4?) new phone announcement to purchase -- even if it meant I wouldn't have the new device for Amsterdam. However, today's leak that the smaller of the Pixel phones may cost $649 has caused me to think twice about that plan.

The smaller Pixel is supposedly based on the HTC A9, right? That has mediocre reviews (and sells for much less), so I'm not sure how Google can justify the iPhone-like pricing. And Google is running a deal on the Nexus 5X -- selling it for $199 if you activate it on Project Fi -- or I could go with the 6P for $499. But at $499, getting the Pixel starts to look more attractive, since it's a year newer.

Or I could just suck it up with my Nexus 6's charging problems and wait a few more months until the inevitable price drop on the Pixel.

I'm curious: What would others do if they were in my shoes?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
...<<<snipped>>>...
If it is a short trip and you need more time to decide and you have a spare unlocked GSM phone that meets your requirement then use the Project Fi SIM in your spare phone. While travelling I always take my spare unlocked iPhone 5s which has a smaller form factor than my Nexus 6P.

I was in London, Paris and Amsterdam for two weeks earlier this month and when walking around I took my iPhone 5s instead of the Nexus 6p as it was a better fit into the small pockets of my travel pants and I left the Nexus 6P back in the hotel as a backup.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:41 pm

Expansys had an even better deal on the 5X. I think it was was $119 in my email this weekend, but certainly not on their website. Not sure if it is over.

I realize there's a 2016 What Smartphone Should I Get? thread, but since choices are limited for Project Fi users, I figured I'd throw the question out here.

My Nexus 6 USB port stopped working -- and I've already replaced it twice under warranty for the exact same issue. Right now I'm getting by with wireless charging, but it's slow. And I have a trip to Amsterdam on Oct. 7 where wireless charging won't be particularly convenient given that I'll be out and about most days.

For the past several years my phone purchases haven't coincided with new phone announcements, so I've bought dated technology. I was planning to wait until the Oct. 3 (4?) new phone announcement to purchase -- even if it meant I wouldn't have the new device for Amsterdam. However, today's leak that the smaller of the Pixel phones may cost $649 has caused me to think twice about that plan.

The smaller Pixel is supposedly based on the HTC A9, right? That has mediocre reviews (and sells for much less), so I'm not sure how Google can justify the iPhone-like pricing. And Google is running a deal on the Nexus 5X -- selling it for $199 if you activate it on Project Fi -- or I could go with the 6P for $499. But at $499, getting the Pixel starts to look more attractive, since it's a year newer.

Or I could just suck it up with my Nexus 6's charging problems and wait a few more months until the inevitable price drop on the Pixel.

Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Expansys had an even better deal on the 5X. I think it was was $115.
Be careful with the super-cheap 5Xs out there. A lot of outfits are selling the H-791 international version, which has no CDMA radio (=no Verizon, Sprint, USCC or Fi) and no LTE band 12 (=reduced coverage on T-Mobile). It does have some Asia-specific LTE bands we don't get on the H-790, but it's significantly less useful in the US.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
If it is a short trip and you need more time to decide and you have a spare unlocked GSM phone that meets your requirement then use the Project Fi SIM in your spare phone. While travelling I always take my spare unlocked iPhone 5s which has a smaller form factor than my Nexus 6P.

I was in London, Paris and Amsterdam for two weeks earlier this month and when walking around I took my iPhone 5s instead of the Nexus 6p as it was a better fit into the small pockets of my travel pants and I left the Nexus 6P back in the hotel as a backup.
Are you using it for data only? I thought a Project Fi SIM card couldn't be used in anything other than a Nexus phone. I do have an old Nexus 5 I could use.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Are you using it for data only? I thought a Project Fi SIM card couldn't be used in anything other than a Nexus phone. I do have an old Nexus 5 I could use.
No, not for just data; I was using it for voice and data. The SIM has to be activated first on a Nexus phone and then can be moved to another phone. I fact I'm using it right now on my iPhone 5s for voice calls.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat

Wait it out. Leaks are not guarantees. Bring a cheap-o phone with you on your trip as others have suggested. And I think your instinct to buy older tech is correct; as Nassim Taleb says, the longer something's been around, the more likely it is to stay around.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I have Project Fi's data only Sim activated on the iPad Mini and moved it around, to use on Nexus 5X as a WiFi only device, moved it to Moto E 2015 (global) and into backup iPhone 5S with Alpatronix BX 120 battery case - for WiFi only - made VoIP calls on Talkatone and Hangouts when I travel, and seldom worried about battery going low or keeping it charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.