Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vletnguyen
in phone dialer use short code *#*# Fi TMO #*#* or "34866" pushes phone to tmo.
Does that code and the others work on the 5X/6P? Sounds like they've only been tested on the 6. (I'd rather be only on T-Mobile while in my home area and enable Sprint only when traveling due to the latter not being all that great here, if I go with Project Fi.)
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:59 pm
Suspended

I've had my Nexus 5x for about a month now...love it and Fi.....I jump between the network and wifi for data and have had no issues at all.

Couldn't be more happier at the moment....^
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Instant invitations are back now for sign ups between 12/28-12/30
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Does that code and the others work on the 5X/6P? Sounds like they've only been tested on the 6. (I'd rather be only on T-Mobile while in my home area and enable Sprint only when traveling due to the latter not being all that great here, if I go with Project Fi.)
yes, they work fine on the 6p.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
One annoyance I've discovered while using Project Fi in London: The international usage details are painfully slow to update.

I've been here since the 10th. Since the 11th, my international usage bill shows as 2 cents, with a total of .002 GB of data. The data usage chart shows nothing after the 11th. I'm seeing no international calls, despite making about a dozen non-wifi calls to both UK and US numbers. Nor have I scaled back my data usage (about 1.5 GBs a month) even when I'm off of wifi. The app and Project Fi website do, however, accurately show the number of days remaining in my billing cycle, so it's not as if the app is failing to update entirely.

Since my billing period began, my total data usage -- US + International -- is .082 GB, according to Project Fi. However, when I look at the cellular data usage in my settings, it's showing .4 GB for this cycle.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
One annoyance I've discovered while using Project Fi in London: The international usage details are painfully slow to update.
It's fairly standard IME for "roaming partners" to take quite a while to report usage back to the home carrier. I don't think there is much they can do, which is annoying. I have noticed similar effects in a few countries.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by AussieExPat
It's fairly standard IME for "roaming partners" to take quite a while to report usage back to the home carrier. I don't think there is much they can do, which is annoying. I have noticed similar effects in a few countries.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:17 pm

This is a dumb thought, but Google is now offering free companion SIMs for tablets and other non-voice devices which pool data with you ProjectFi account. My question for international roaming is what about bonding more than one account together to increase data. For example, I have an LTE Surface. I could put a SIM in there, connect to a Hotspot, and tether with a Nexus and use Speedify to bond the connection together which should give me a 768k up and down connection around the world at no additional cost. I also don't really think I need to worry about Google breath down my back about it since I'm paying for the data. Opinions?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by chgoeditor

I've been here since the 10th. Since the 11th, my international usage bill shows as 2 cents, with a total of .002 GB of data. The data usage chart shows nothing after the 11th. I'm seeing no international calls, despite making about a dozen non-wifi calls to both UK and US numbers. Nor have I scaled back my data usage (about 1.5 GBs a month) even when I'm off of wifi. The app and Project Fi website do, however, accurately show the number of days remaining in my billing cycle, so it's not as if the app is failing to update entirely.

Since my billing period began, my total data usage -- US + International -- is .082 GB, according to Project Fi. However, when I look at the cellular data usage in my settings, it's showing .4 GB for this cycle.
I was just in London last week but I have the T-Mobile international roaming. I was getting full bars LTE on EE and it worked very well. I can imagine Project Fi at double the speed would be even better, to the point where you're not tempted to bother with a prepaid SIM for short term use.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:01 am

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but fi is limited to 256 kb/s (3g) when using international data. So a local sim might still be desirable if high speed is needed.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:52 am

now back from mexico and can comment on tmobile vs fi; tmobile gives you LTE speeds and is much faster for data vs Fi 3G. also, i wasnt able to get the tethering to work with Fi on my iphone 6. does anyone know how to get that feature to work?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:24 am
Suspended

Fi doesn't give you access to LTE networks while roaming?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Fi doesn't give you access to LTE networks while roaming?
T-Mobile allows full LTE roaming without paying extra in Mexico and Canada (and elsewhere if you pay extra). AFAIK Fi doesn't have either.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended

Oh right, full LTE unthrottled.

But Fi doesn't even give you throttled LTE in Europe for instance?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Oh right, full LTE unthrottled.

But Fi doesn't even give you throttled LTE in Europe for instance?
data is limited to 3g per their website

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.