Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 18, 8:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 19, 6:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
So if I understand correctly you can do this with a pixel but I can't with my samsung s8 b/c when I try it says I have to turn wifi off in order to use hotspot (in other words forcing me to use cellular data)?
This has nothing to do with Fi. This has to do with the new Pixel having two antennas which make this possible. It isnít possible with my Pixel one or my iPhone XS Max. You canít do this with your Samsung s8 because it doesnít have the antennas which make this possible.
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Does anyone know if they have opened up the pixels for receiving FM radio?
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post

This has nothing to do with Fi. This has to do with the new Pixel having two antennas which make this possible. It isnít possible with my Pixel one or my iPhone XS Max. You canít do this with your Samsung s8 because it doesnít have the antennas which make this possible.
Does the S10 series have this capability?
Old Aug 30, 19, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by boerne View Post
Sorry missed this. You get your Pixel 3 on the hotel/airplane wifi. Then simply fire up the hotspot. Nothing special. I checked data usage when I did this with Mrs. boerne in Kigali and I didn't use Fi data. So, cemented my relationship with Fi. I also have an iPhone X for work, on Sprint . But use the Pixel when international. Below is a discussion on XDA on the Q software.

https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...pport-pixel-3/
This is for the pixel 3 only right? No pixel 3a support ?
Old Aug 31, 19, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
I know it works on the Pixel 3 XL. This post suggests that it also works on the 3a

https://support.google.com/pixelphon...10280826?hl=en
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Fi sent a marketing email for a new "Unlimited plan":

Get unlimited data, talk and text for $45/line for 4 lines, plus free international calls from the US to 50+ destinations, and 100 GB of storage from Google One.

And just like on your current plan, when you travel, your plan does too, with unlimited data and texting abroad at no extra charge. There also are no contracts or cancellation fees, so join or cancel anytime.

If the Fi Unlimited plan isn't for you, don't worry - your current Flexible plan isn't going anywhere. If your data needs change, you can switch between plans anytime.
The $45 figure if slightly misleading as that's the price per person for 4 people. For one person it's $70/month.

Other fine print: "High-speed data up to 22 GB/person & slower after. Video may stream at DVD-quality (480p)."
​​​​​​
For my usage patterns with only one line, this doesn't make sense, but I could definitely see it being appealing.
Old Sep 17, 19, 2:27 pm

Sounds like, for those of us who use it only for international travel, this isn't a good deal. If you use it at all during the month, even with pausing and un-pausing, you get charged for that full month.
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I made the switch a few minutes ago to the unlimited plan.

I have never had a cycle where I use less then 6 gigs, and I also call Mexico and Canada somewhat frequently as well.

Since I travel outside the US at least once a month I never got into the game of pausing/unpausing my service I just Fi as my primary phone plan.

Also, helps that work picks up my phone bill.
Michael Ad likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, Free Agent
link from Google Blog about unlimited plan

https://www.blog.google/products/goo...me-and-abroad/
Old Sep 18, 19, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post

The $45 figure if slightly misleading as that's the price per person for 4 people. For one person it's $70/month.

Other fine print: "High-speed data up to 22 GB/person & slower after. Video may stream at DVD-quality (480p)."
​​​​​​
For my usage patterns with only one line, this doesn't make sense, but I could definitely see it being appealing.
Yeah it doesn't really make sense for 1 line. It is maxed out $80 anyway unless you go over it every single month. I am hoping it was $45 for 1 line. I am usually between 1 to 2 gb per month so it would be easier to go $45
Old Sep 19, 19, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But they tell you (look at the text you quoted) that it's $45 per line for four lines.

Where do you see the disconnect?
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd View Post
But they tell you (look at the text you quoted) that it's $45 per line for four lines.

Where do you see the disconnect?
I didn't say it was inaccurate, just misleading, in that it omits information to make it look more favorable. Sure, it's par for the course in advertising, and quantity discounts are hardly novel, but it's pretty substantial.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say it was inaccurate, just misleading, in that it omits information to make it look more favorable. Sure, it's par for the course in advertising, and quantity discounts are hardly novel, but it's pretty substantial.
But it clearly says that the cost is $45 per line for 4 lines.

What information is omitted?
Old Sep 20, 19, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd View Post
But it clearly says that the cost is $45 per line for 4 lines.
Yes, I don't dispute that.

Search this Thread