Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 25, 18, 8:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 19, 11:31 am

I wish they would sell international only sims ,

I would love to try it but it's not worth $20 a month for the free calls / texts in the USA , I already have that covered.
KŲnig likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:32 am

Double post
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
I wish they would sell international only sims ,

I would love to try it but it's not worth $20 a month for the free calls / texts in the USA , I already have that covered.
Just pause it when you aren't traveling.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by Michael Ad View Post
Just pause it when you aren't traveling.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6079346?hl=en
But when u pause it can people leave vm? I"m one of the one's that transferred my primary number before I realized I shouldn't have done that - is there any way to leave a vm that people could hear when I'm on pause?
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:59 pm

I don't believe you can receive a VM when your account is paused.
Old Feb 11, 19, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad View Post
I don't believe you can receive a VM when your account is paused.
No I didn't expect to be able to receive a vm -just wondered if I could LEAVE - a message like "this number is unavailable until..... if u want to reach me please email...
Does anyone know what a caller hears when they call a number you have suspended?
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I just tried my suspended account and it said the call could not be completed as dialed.

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
No I didn't expect to be able to receive a vm -just wondered if I could LEAVE - a message like "this number is unavailable until..... if u want to reach me please email...
Does anyone know what a caller hears when they call a number you have suspended?
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
I just tried my suspended account and it said the call could not be completed as dialed.
Thanks so much - saved me from having to test it myself !!! I really appreciate the help.
Yoshi212 and LAXlocal like this.
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz pres circle, SPG Gold, hilton diamond
Flawlessly working in both Singapore and Thailand. Laos and Philippines next.

one interesting point, Iím using my moto x4 as a hotspot for my British iPhone. I noticed when opening Netflix while tethered I got the US selection of programs, and while on local WiFi some shows were missing, I guess that vpn thing works pretty well then.

I was going to get local sims. But now near the 6gb mark and incremental data basically being free Iím debating bothering.

i have a spare mobile data sim with me, so might just stick that in my iPhone, since I donít need to make or receive voice calls.

do I need to change apn settings myself with the data sim, or will it just work?
Old Feb 17, 19, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by aceman View Post

one interesting point, Iím using my moto x4 as a hotspot for my British iPhone. I noticed when opening Netflix while tethered I got the US selection of programs, and while on local WiFi some shows were missing, I guess that vpn thing works pretty well then.

I was going to get local sims. But now near the 6gb mark and incremental data basically being free Iím debating bothering.

i have a spare mobile data sim with me, so might just stick that in my iPhone, since I donít need to make or receive voice calls.

do I need to change apn settings myself with the data sim, or will it just work?
It didn't auto populate the iphone for me. I have to manually set the APN. I followed the first link came up on google search:
https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/s...phone-0174991/
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:24 pm

It may have worked for you in Thailand but I was there for a month with a galaxy s8 which had worked fine with tmo and sprint.
With Fi I could NOT make or receive any calls on the phone despite extensive trouble shooting with support. This means I may have missed some vm.
Data did work fine. Since google also BLOCKS hangouts in Thailand I had to use other means - no exactly the experience I was hoping for
Old Feb 17, 19, 7:50 pm

It worked great in Fiji and Oz with a Pixel 3. My wife's LTE iPad worked perfectly also with one of my Fi data SIMs.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Feb 18, 19 at 2:37 pm Reason: Added devices used per request of other poster.
Old Feb 17, 19, 9:54 pm

How or where Fi works seems VERY tied to whether you have a Fi or Fi "compatible" phone.
I think posting which phone you are using when posting results would be very helpful!
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 12:13 pm

How is that Moto X4 as a hotspot? The price is really right and I'm thinking about getting that instead of a MiFi.
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:11 pm

Looks like Google Fi website is selling the Moto X4 at $149 , if you start a new account, I am not sure about if you already have an account.
I really only want a dual SIM phone if I am buying to use with Fi , hopefully the cheaper Motos will start adding that.....
​​​​​

Search this Thread