Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

How does Google think this is acceptable? Up until this point I had nothing but a positive experience with Fi. Problem is, what other cellphone company can you to go that has such cheap service, even more so when it comes to international use?

The other issue is being so reliant on one company for everything. Gmail, Youtube TV, Google Pay etc.....
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
The other issue is being so reliant on one company for everything. Gmail, Youtube TV, Google Pay etc.....
Welcome to the 21st Century.

By the end of the 21st century, I wonder if our allegiances to multinational corporations will supercede traditional nationalities as far as our identities go. Whose robots and AI are you rooting for in the 2096 Olympics? Amazon or Google?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
How does Google think this is acceptable? Up until this point I had nothing but a positive experience with Fi. Problem is, what other cellphone company can you to go that has such cheap service, even more so when it comes to international us.
Well it doesn't much matter how cheap it is if it doesn't work T mo was slower for international internet but it worked!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Problem is, what other cellphone company can you to go that has such cheap service, even more so when it comes to international use?
Domestically, Republic Wireless is cheaper. $15 for unlimited talk/text, plus $5/G for data. But international service is limited to wifi calling only.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Domestically, Republic Wireless is cheaper. $15 for unlimited talk/text, plus $5/G for data. But international service is limited to wifi calling only.
And if you use more than about 2GB/month, literally everyone is cheaper than Fi. Even Verizon prepaid is $35 for 3gb plus unlimited calls/SMS, where Fi would be $50.

If you travel a lot, especially if your time in each country is short, Fi is great (when it works), but for domestic US use it's not a particularly good value.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You're not wrong that there are cheaper alternatives and that Fi has limitations particularly when it comes to Customer Service but there are upsides that make the higher cost than prepaid service but generally lower than the big 3's standard plans. The 3 system roaming has done well by me and the high speed international service has also worked well for me. I found Tmobile & Sprint's standard global roaming is too slow for much use and if paying for upgraded the costs are higher than Fi.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
And if you use more than about 2GB/month, literally everyone is cheaper than Fi. Even Verizon prepaid is $35 for 3gb plus unlimited calls/SMS, where Fi would be $50.

If you travel a lot, especially if your time in each country is short, Fi is great (when it works), but for domestic US use it's not a particularly good value.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, I'm finding that my Fi bill for 4 lines is going to be a little higher than a BYOD plan with a traditional carrier. We aren't data hogs but it's pretty easy for four people to consume 14 gigs even with good home and work Wifi.

I'm pretty sure that the minute the Southwest gift cards are in my grubby paws, I'm going to hit up whatever BYOD promo offer is out there at the time.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pinniped

I'm pretty sure that the minute the Southwest gift cards are in my grubby paws, I'm going to hit up whatever BYOD promo offer is out there at the time.
Don't do that! As noted upthread:

The gift card T&C said "the customer will receive an email from Google Fi (around 75 - 90 days after device activation) with instructions on how to obtain a gift card" but also "If Fi service is paused for more than 7 days or cancelled within 120 days of activation, the value of the gift card will be charged to your Google Payments account to match the purchased price of the device."

So you shouldn't have to wait four months to get the gift card, but you need to keep the service for the full four months or you'll end up paying for them.
So even after you have the gift cards, make sure you're past 120 days of service before you cancel.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:20 pm

Don't do that! As noted upthread:

So even after you have the gift cards, make sure you're past 120 days of service before you cancel.
Ah, I assumed I'd have to wait the four months and then get instructions on how to get the gift cards. I know I have to stay on the service 120 days.

I figured it'd be 120 days, and then they'd start slow-playing some sort of intentionally inefficient process of procuring and delivering the gift cards, meaning I'd be on Fi for closer to five months.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:18 am

There are even cheaper MVNOs in the US. For example, Mint Mobile offers $15/2Gb (soon will be 3Gb) + unlimited voice/text. As for international travel, it depends on where you go and for how long. For Europe, there is a bunch of much cheaper local plans than Fi.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:36 am

What's the cheapest U.S. MVNO for unlimited LTE + talk + text? (Or at least "unlimited" up to a reasonably high throttle point.)

On most of my international business trips, I have good hotel wifi and good office wifi. All of Fi's international coverage is nice but I'm not sure how badly I really *need* it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Probably Mint's 5 or 10 GB, then throttled, plans would work for most people. They're $20 & $25 a month respectively.

What's the cheapest U.S. MVNO for unlimited LTE + talk + text? (Or at least "unlimited" up to a reasonably high throttle point.)

On most of my international business trips, I have good hotel wifi and good office wifi. All of Fi's international coverage is nice but I'm not sure how badly I really *need* it.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Probably Mint's 5 or 10 GB, then throttled, plans would work for most people. They're $20 & $25 a month respectively.
Yeah, $1200 up front for a year of reasonably unlimited service isn't bad. Two of my 4 devices could live on the $20 plan so actually a little lower...

Minor nuisance that there's no pooling across all your account's SIMs, but at those prices I guess it's hard to complain too much.

Anyone know if they ever do sign-up promotions?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:33 am

With 4 lines you would do better using Metro or one of the other services without having to pay upfront.

Yeah, $1200 up front for a year of reasonably unlimited service isn't bad. Two of my 4 devices could live on the $20 plan so actually a little lower...

Minor nuisance that there's no pooling across all your account's SIMs, but at those prices I guess it's hard to complain too much.

Anyone know if they ever do sign-up promotions?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's stay apolitical

A gentle moderation reminder. This isn't a thread in Omni. We are discussing the pro's and con's of the Fi service. A debate over Google becoming the Borg or its macro business practices shouldn't end up in this Travel Technology forum.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.